Getupxgetout

Rank 0

Contributor I

Cougar Mountain, Bellevue, WA, USA
First Name
Gaelen
Last Name
Kelly
84C02D2A-83E1-4DFE-908C-C18349D8CF89.jpeg4E532359-C551-4ED3-9C41-4C4AD2FF44F2.jpeg

9334FA48-0814-4825-9C72-47965454E184.jpeg
All mine as of 2 weeks ago :)

1991 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Laredo - Stock
214k odo + new long block 10k miles ago
Interior is ridiculously clean

This is my second Jeep and I plan I’m slowly building her for overlanding. Nothing crazy but comfortable on those forest roads. Welcome all ideas for an older rig like this.

I live in the PNW so there’s no shortage of trails. My previous rig was a 2013 Jeep JKU with lift, winch and RTT so she went everywhere. But sadly other priorities came first...

Now we’re back at it with another Jeep!

Mike harpe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

I love the XJ CHEROKEE but I hated how small the inside was. I always felt cramped in it and I'm only 5'6" I love how much aftermarket support there is for them. However I can say I love the amount of room in the 2018 ram pickups. I love my power wagon and while I'm possibly limited on trails if I dont wanna scratch the paint, I hope to find plenty that can appease me. Congrats and good luck. What's first on your list? Suspension or exterior?

Reactions: Getupxgetout

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
I got an XJ about a year ago with the same intentions. I was back and forth on the suspension, but the lack of funds argument won out.

I ended up doing the “Upcountry” suspension with simply the heavy duty stock suspension, and ZJ coils. This gave about a 1.5 inch lift over stock. If money wasn’t an object I would have done the Old Man Emu 2.5 inch lift from DPG Offroad.

My intentions were/are for a simple camping mobile for me and my boys. I think this will be a fun vehicle while they’re younger, and also due to the simplicity of fixing and working on them is. I will agree with the above comment that they are pretty small inside. So long term as the boys get older we may have to go another route to fit in it.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing what you do.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

That's a nice looking XJ. I bought a new 1990 Laredo that looked a lot like yours. It was black with the same red interior which I always liked. 1991 was the first year of the 4.0 litre HO engine XJ's so if you're scrounging around for parts or collecting spares you need to keep that it mind. My old '90 was the last year of the RENIX models and they have a lot of differences under the hood.

Being a Laredo it probably has most if not all of the options. The overhead consoles are nice and hard to find. I currently have a fully loaded '89 XJ Limited. Everything works but I'm not looking forward to when the electrical options start to break down. You have white gauges. I have never seen that in a stock XJ so I'm guessing they've been changed.

Have fun with it!

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Hi, Love your XJ. I am a guru on these vehicles so if you ever need any technical help don't hesitate to post up or PM me.

Getupxgetout

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Gaelen
Last Name
Kelly
I love the XJ CHEROKEE but I hated how small the inside was. I always felt cramped in it and I'm only 5'6" I love how much aftermarket support there is for them. However I can say I love the amount of room in the 2018 ram pickups. I love my power wagon and while I'm possibly limited on trails if I dont wanna scratch the paint, I hope to find plenty that can appease me. Congrats and good luck. What's first on your list? Suspension or exterior?
I’m 5 10 and I know what you mean. Somehow though these bucket seats make it work for me. Those new ram trucks are ridiculous way to go!

I’m fully going suspension upgrade next before winch and RTT.

Reactions: Mike harpe

Getupxgetout

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Gaelen
Last Name
Kelly
That's a nice looking XJ. I bought a new 1990 Laredo that looked a lot like yours. It was black with the same red interior which I always liked. 1991 was the first year of the 4.0 litre HO engine XJ's so if you're scrounging around for parts or collecting spares you need to keep that it mind. My old '90 was the last year of the RENIX models and they have a lot of differences under the hood.

Being a Laredo it probably has most if not all of the options. The overhead consoles are nice and hard to find. I currently have a fully loaded '89 XJ Limited. Everything works but I'm not looking forward to when the electrical options start to break down. You have white gauges. I have never seen that in a stock XJ so I'm guessing they've been changed.

Have fun with it!
Wow I knew signing up here would be worthwhile. Thanks for the heads up. In regards to the Renix I’ve heard the back and forth and purposefully wanted to go with a 91-94 with the HO so this fit the bill. The white gauges is a very interesting call out and surprising because the inside seems so untouched. I had someone offer to send me an overhead console on another forum so I might take him up on that haha. Good luck with the 89 what a beaut!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
View attachment 122099View attachment 122101

View attachment 122100
All mine as of 2 weeks ago :)

1991 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Laredo - Stock
214k odo + new long block 10k miles ago
Interior is ridiculously clean

This is my second Jeep and I plan I’m slowly building her for overlanding. Nothing crazy but comfortable on those forest roads. Welcome all ideas for an older rig like this.

I live in the PNW so there’s no shortage of trails. My previous rig was a 2013 Jeep JKU with lift, winch and RTT so she went everywhere. But sadly other priorities came first...
Now we’re back at it with another Jeep!
Now you can do it in comfort. Possibilities are unlimited. The only fallback IMO is it is a unibody. When they start rusting they go fast.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
That's why Jeep designed the engines to leak so much. It coats the underside and keeps rust down. ;-)
I thought about you when I made that comment. I wondered what you do to keep your rig in such good shape or if you had rust problems too ! Do you just not go where salt is used on roads. I had a friend who bought a new Ford truck in 1966. He lived in Corpus Christi Tx. He moved to El Paso four years later and that truck body was so badly rusted that it had huge holes in the cab and bed of the truck, the bottom of the doors didn't exist any more, the sills were demolished and the frame was ready to collapse. The good thing was that back then a new truck could be bought for $2100 !

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

My XJ is an '89 and apart from some stone chips it's rust free. It get's annual trips to Krown Rustproofing plus I spray it as I work on it. I don't take it out on the worst winter days but I don't hesitate otherwise. I'm more concerned about someone sliding into me.