Rank 0

Contributor I

Wildomar, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Cadman
No problem. I just thought I'd check.
I only have a cheap handheld CB and the last few times I've been out with people, they all seem to use GMRS so I had no communication with the group. It was kind of a bummer but certainly wasn't a big deal. I've been looking into getting a GMRS radio soon... more money I shouldn't spend though!

Reactions: SDrnd2

Roaming Bear

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Menifee, CA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Pemberton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6RUS
Is this a hard trail or an easy one. I am brand new to this overlanding thing and can you tell me what to bring

Roaming Bear

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Menifee, CA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Pemberton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6RUS
Is this a hard trail or an easy one. I am brand new to this overlanding thing and can you tell me what to bring

Roaming Bear

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Menifee, CA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Pemberton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6RUS
th/ks for the info. Do you have any idea where we will be camping. I see that you are Navy. Are you still active or retired. I am a retired HM rom 1989 and then became a state cop

SDrnd2

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Point Loma, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Walter
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
th/ks for the info. Do you have any idea where we will be camping. I see that you are Navy. Are you still active or retired. I am a retired HM rom 1989 and then became a state cop
I’m still an FC still active. We’ll probably be taking a dispersed site somewhere midway through the trail based on how many folks show up.

lnye26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Nye
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OQF
SDrnd2, what comms do you run? CB, GMRS, HAM or nada?
GMRS is a good comm to use for these adventures, Ham is a little more complicated.
GMRS handhelds can be bought on Amazon for under $70.
You should have a license ($35.00 for ten years I believe) but.... who is going to track.
Oftentimes there is always someone that has an extra radio or two.

Rcad

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wildomar, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Cadman
GMRS is a good comm to use for these adventures, Ham is a little more complicated.
You should have a license ($35.00 for ten years I believe) but.... who is going to track.
Thanks for the info! I just bought a GMRS radio and the license. Unfortunately the radio I bought is back ordered so I may not have it for this trip. FYI, the GMRS license is still $70... hasn't been reduced to $35 yet.

lnye26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Nye
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OQF
Thanks for the info! I just bought a GMRS radio and the license. Unfortunately the radio I bought is back ordered so I may not have it for this trip. FYI, the GMRS license is still $70... hasn\'t been reduced to $35 yet.
Thought maybe it had finally been reduced, guess not!
Paid $70. for mine also.

DrewKD

Rank V

Influencer II

Pasadena CA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Dancel
Member #

I'm interested. I run GMRS and HAM. I will RSVP when I know for sure that I am going.

Roaming Bear

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Menifee, CA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Pemberton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6RUS
˜Now I fully understand why people boondock and overland. I just took my brother in law to Joshua Tree National Park camping and to take picture of the sky at night. We had a younger group of kids camping near us that would talk and laugh until 1 in the morning and walk through our camp site. I am done with this kind of camping. Get me away from the crowds and back where I can enjoy the beauty of nature without stupid people lol

SDrnd2

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Point Loma, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Walter
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Good morning all, I’m excited for this coming trip and hopefully it turns out to be loads of fun for everyone. I will say for my first setup of a rally point, the turnout so far is fantastic. Thank you for joining and I look forward to meeting you all this weekend!!