Shingletown, CA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
King
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7tdk
Bfg have some off the toughest sidewalls of any tires made. That’s why you see a lot of them on race trucks in the desert. Side wall cuts can happen to any brand if your off road enough it will happen no matter what tire you run.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Bfg have some off the toughest sidewalls of any tires made. That’s why you see a lot of them on race trucks in the desert. Side wall cuts can happen to any brand if your off road enough it will happen no matter what tire you run.
Especially when sharp sticks litter the trail. LOL

These things have been through hell on rocks but a branch was what took it out. Still holding air after around 200 miles of trail and highway with a single plug. I have a KO2 for a spare and it looks alot smaller than the Wildpeak when mounted. Plug is located at the 2 o'clock position upper sidewall.

Reactions: britz

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Especially when sharp sticks litter the trail. LOL

These things have been through hell on rocks but a branch was what took it out. Still holding air after around 200 miles of trail and highway with a single plug. I have a KO2 for a spare and it looks alot smaller than the Wildpeak when mounted. Plug is located at the 2 o'clock position upper sidewall.
Those Wildpeaks have been highly rec'd as replacements, I've heard great things about them in my offroad clubs on PNW and BC trails.

Reactions: JCWages

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
The KO2s were in the running for replacing my Toyo AT Extremes, which I hate. But last week on a trail ride, my buddy sliced to steel 3 of his brand new KO2s on a 7mi trail, while the Toyos, an older set of BFG ATs and MTs did just fine. My tires rarely see pavement. Usually tire-eating bull rock. We live in the woods and have to keep the roads open ourselves. After seeing how vulnerable the sidewalls are, I wouldn't feel confident getting down the mountain.View attachment 114768
That sucks and changed my mind about buying them today.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
No one else had the same tire. I had old, workout Toyo Extremes, other guy had really old KO's (old style)and the last guy had new KM's.
I would almost bet than the BFG's had a low ply side wall, like maybe 2 ply ??? Just a guess, I wouldn't want anything less than 6 ply sidewalls.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Those Wildpeaks have been highly rec'd as replacements, I've heard great things about them in my offroad clubs on PNW and BC trails.
They are great tires and much better in wet conditions than the KO2. A lot of people are having great luck with the Ridge Grappler too. People who have ran the Wildpeak in the past have said the RG is even better in the wet. If they weren't so bloody expensive I would try them. :)

Reactions: britz

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
They are great tires and much better in wet conditions than the KO2. A lot of people are having great luck with the Ridge Grappler too. People who have ran the Wildpeak in the past have said the RG is even better in the wet. If they weren't so bloody expensive I would try them. :)
Reliable tires are extremely important for me. Living offgrid in logging country, closest town over an hour away, no cell service.. My biggest fear is a chunk of cut logging chain, but rocks , roots, and mud are a daily occurrence, even with out trail riding. The RidgeGrappler were also highly rec'd. Thanks!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

The tires that are running in desert are not KO2. The tire they run a special tire built for desert racing and not a able to the public, they are not permitted on streets. Toyo also has a big presents in off-road racing. I run ether BFGs Or Generals.

Last edited:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
The tires that are running in desert are not KO2. THe fire they run a special tire built for desert racing and not a able to the public, they are not permitted on streets. Toyo also has a big presents in off-road racing. I run ether BFGs Or Generals.
Are you talking about the BFG....Baja version? They are available periodically, but you better be sitting down when you hear the price,.....crazy expensive. One of our tire stores in town has offered blemished versions, 2x over the years, and they were sold out in hours from word of mouth on the streetm aka...the grapevine (not advertised). Built like a tank, so unsprung weight will be a factor also.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

BFG offroad racing tires are $600.00 each. these are nothing like a KO2.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Regular bfg's aren't too tough. There's tougher tires out there. Make the jump to a MT carcass.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
The ST Maxx runs a 3ply MT-like carcass doesn't it?

Last time I checked the ST Maxx is the same tire as the STT Pro, just a milder tread design. But unfortunately same price tag, so It's hard to resist jumping straight to the STT. If I'm hauling a camper west on hot pavement, I'd go ST Maxx, anything less, I'm going STT.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
The ST Maxx runs a 3ply MT-like carcass doesn't it?
This thread has really brought to the front, a few brands, that seem to fall right in line with the BFG's for perceived, if not actual toughness. They all now have a 3 ply sidewall's as far as I know. Thanks to BFG forcing the market to respond in kind. For most of us that have to budget for new tires, the question is not always what we want, but what we can afford. That does not mean just settling for OKAY, but getting the best we can afford with the most checked boxes we can get for a certain price point and performance. The WILDPEAKS seem to be a very popular alternative. They get good reviews from OB members, outside users, and off-road magazine tests on them. Another is those new PATAGONIA MT's, that with the exception of 1 OB member, have been immensely popular with users over a wide variety of vehicles. Their only shortcoming so far, is their newness on the market and no snow evaluations yet. A remedy i expect will be shortly forthcoming as winter approaches in the next couple of months.

No tire is bulletproof, and the shortcomings 1 driver had with 3 flats on new tires can be either bad luck, or driver error. In the case referenced, I will go with driver error because only 1 driver had this problem, and the difference between a puncture or not, could or maybe, was the line he took, compared to the others. The KM3's have been out now a while and if it was a construction manufacture problem, many others by now would have chimed in on it.

Personally I am probably done with BFG's, mostly because of their price point. I have posted my short comings with them, that being HEAT-CHECKING on all the sets i bought, way before their tread life was over. The hot desert asphalt just does not seem compatible on a DD, with the rubber compound they use, which see varied use on and off-road. Doing the TOYO AT's right now.....mixed reviews by OB members, and will see how they perform over their tread life. By then, I expect a few more Brands or Styles will be at the forefront of popular offerings on the market. The tire competition has made the manufacturers really have to step up their game, if they want to be competitive.

On a final note, if and when my next set becomes needed, I will really give the Patagonia MT's a close look,.......IF THEY STAY AT THE PRICE RANGE THEY ARE CURRENTLY AT. I do not do the miles I once did, so a softer tire with a slightly less mileage expectation, is a good trade-off, for the future vs their unexpecectedly positive good trail and road manners.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
3 ply, 8 ply, 87 plies, just slang like ''one ton truck''.

A 3 ply GY Duratrac's sidewall is half the thickness of a 3 ply Cooper STT. One is an AT street tire with knobby tread, the other is a straight up gangster MT.

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
3 ply, 8 ply, 87 plies, just slang like ''one ton truck''.

A 3 ply GY Duratrac's sidewall is half the thickness of a 3 ply Cooper STT. One is an AT street tire with knobby tread, the other is a straight up gangster MT.
And that would probably explain since their release on the market, of reviews saying they squirmed a lot on corners and pavement use in general. This, even with the heavier E rated tire that most put on full size trucks. It seems owners had to inflate to a higher pressure, than their previous E rated brand needed.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
This thread has really brought to the front, a few brands, that seem to fall right in line with the BFG's for perceived, if not actual toughness. They all now have a 3 ply sidewall's as far as I know. Thanks to BFG forcing the market to respond in kind. For most of us that have to budget for new tires, the question is not always what we want, but what we can afford. That does not mean just settling for OKAY, but getting the best we can afford with the most checked boxes we can get for a certain price point and performance. The WILDPEAKS seem to be a very popular alternative. They get good reviews from OB members, outside users, and off-road magazine tests on them. Another is those new PATAGONIA MT's, that with the exception of 1 OB member, have been immensely popular with users over a wide variety of vehicles. Their only shortcoming so far, is their newness on the market and no snow evaluations yet. A remedy i expect will be shortly forthcoming as winter approaches in the next couple of months.

No tire is bulletproof, and the shortcomings 1 driver had with 3 flats on new tires can be either bad luck, or driver error. In the case referenced, I will go with driver error because only 1 driver had this problem, and the difference between a puncture or not, could or maybe, was the line he took, compared to the others. The KM3's have been out now a while and if it was a construction manufacture problem, many others by now would have chimed in on it.

Personally I am probably done with BFG's, mostly because of their price point. I have posted my short comings with them, that being HEAT-CHECKING on all the sets i bought, way before their tread life was over. The hot desert asphalt just does not seem compatible on a DD, with the rubber compound they use, which see varied use on and off-road. Doing the TOYO AT's right now.....mixed reviews by OB members, and will see how they perform over their tread life. By then, I expect a few more Brands or Styles will be at the forefront of popular offerings on the market. The tire competition has made the manufacturers really have to step up their game, if they want to be competitive.

On a final note, if and when my next set becomes needed, I will really give the Patagonia MT's a close look,.......IF THEY STAY AT THE PRICE RANGE THEY ARE CURRENTLY AT. I do not do the miles I once did, so a softer tire with a slightly less mileage expectation, is a good trade-off, for the future vs their unexpecectedly positive good trail and road manners.
I just couldn't find a dealer with 5 Patagonia in stock anywhere. I settled for a more expensive tire today and not disappointed with my second choice. I ended up buying the Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain A/T. I am impressed with the reviews from 400 owners. I will post pictures later because I had minor fitment problems I need to address this week. Nothing I wasn't expecting, just hadn't had time go fix it..

THANKS TO ALL ON THIS THREAD FOR GIVING ME SO MUCH GOOD ADVISE THESE PAST WEEKS. OB FORUMS ARE THE BEST !!
LANLUBBER JIM

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

This is the tire I purchased today guy's. Check it out.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
So far a lot of folks on Tacomaworld like them.

Thanks that's nice to know. The tread is more impressive in real life than it looks in the pictures.