Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
So what is everyone running on full size trucks? Like I stated above looking for a better tire on wet roads than the Duratrac. My 2011 F-150 Supercrew FX4 weighs roughly 6000 lbs with all the gear I keep in it regularly under the Diamondback cover.
Duratracs should have zero issues on a wet road. Something else is wrong. I could see the OEM GM versions being bad due to an OEM compound spec or something hinky, but the aftermarket DT's are one of my go to choices for a snow tire.

The Cooper ST Maxx is similar to the DT, but better in every way for a fullsize. STT Pro's are my favorite tires.

Last edited:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Duratracs should have zero issues on a wet road. Something else is wrong. I could see the OEM GM versions being bad due to an OEM compound spec or something hinky, but the aftermarket DT's are one of my go to choices for a snow tire.

The Cooper ST Maxx is similar to the DT, but better in every way for a fullsize. STT Pro's are my favorite tires.
What do you drive? Not the case with my F-150 and light back end, on cement or straight black top roads I have no problem. But on the blacktop roads with crushed sea shells mixed in with the blacktop I spin the tires with very little acceleration if the roads are wet. If I turn a corner and accelerate too fast the rear end will break loose and I'll end up sideways. I grew up in SE MN so I know how to drive on icy roads and this is exactly what the sea shell infused roads act like when it rains. I haven't spun out and ended up sideways because I know to let up on the gas and not brake. My son born and raised in Florida started driving and didn't know this and he spun my truck sideways with me in it, luckily no traffic was coming from the other direction. I laughed and said you just got a lesson in driving on icy roads in Florida! Just looking for another solution that might handle these roads better, not to mention the Duratracs are overpriced IMO.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
'17 F250 on crappy Mich's, '15 F350 on DT's, '04 Mach1 on Hoosier slicks, Ducati Panigale on Pirelli Diablo Super Corsa II's, and a Drz400s on Pirelli XCMH's.

You got to roll into it easier, before punching it. Allow the truck to transfer some weight to the rear tires first. Scan the truck and make sure your throttle is moving smoothly. Dodges have some janky deadband and abruptness in their throttles sometimes. Make sure your psi is appropriate. My '17 is at 45psi rear, 55-60 front. Yes, the obama light is on.

I'd have to drive it to troubleshoot. But either of the Coopers are badarse tires. STT's might be overkill for Fl. My only concern is nothing might work on those roads if DT's don't.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I'll suggest Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. I went with them over KO2's mainly for price, but also over other competitor offerings for things other than price. They have the 3peak rating, aggressive look without the noise, good grip, great in all conditions from what I've experienced and heard from my buddies that run them. Give them a look!

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

You got to roll into it easier, before punching it. Allow the truck to transfer some weight to the rear tires first.
Granted I am just talking about my crappy standard tires that came with the Silverado and not the ones in discussion, but if I roll into it any slower I'll be going backwards.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

I'm super happy with my KO2s. Before that I had the KOs and they were great, too. I do miss the old school KO sidewall pattern even though the 2s are more advanced.
I've run the KOs on a few vehicles in the past, an Xterra, a '90 F150.

These ones are the cookie cutters.. BFG AT KO2 235/85r16s. They are almost 32".

I'm hooked.
2001 4Runner 1.jpg

GMoney

Rank I

Enthusiast I

SoCal
I ran KO2 for 20,000 miles on my 4Runner and I belong to the hate them crowd due to wet weather performance. I found them to be extremely dangerous sliding both in the back end and the front tires would just push toward the outside of the turn even on the most gentle corner. I ran 32 psi in stock size. I ran C rated LT and believe some of the mixed comments are related to P vs LT. I dont recall seeing it published for this tire, but it is pretty common to have less silica in the LT ratings and in my opinion the different compound used in LT is responsible for the poor wet performance.

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

Supernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Heinze
Member #

Been running KOs and KO2s on my 2014 Raptor since I bought it and have never been let down.

Excellent tire for desert use on my full-size rig. I’ve punished these tires over miles of washboard, sharp rocks, gravel, through mud (although for mostly mud MT is the tire) and hundreds of miles back home and never a problem.

Agree about the wet traction. Gotta be a little careful but I’ve driven KO2s through crazy rain on a highway and never lost confidence. It’s the stopping that can be a little twitchy, in my experience.

I know it sounds fanboy but until I have a puncture (knock knock) I won’t run anything else. These tires have proven themselves to me at least.

Reactions: Billiebob

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
The KO2s were in the running for replacing my Toyo AT Extremes, which I hate. But last week on a trail ride, my buddy sliced to steel 3 of his brand new KO2s on a 7mi trail, while the Toyos, an older set of BFG ATs and MTs did just fine. My tires rarely see pavement. Usually tire-eating bull rock. We live in the woods and have to keep the roads open ourselves. After seeing how vulnerable the sidewalls are, I wouldn't feel confident getting down the mountain.FB_IMG_1566869422648.jpg

Banjor

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Sneddon
Member #

I drive a 2017 Subaru Forester with a 1.25” lift, so I considered the K02 but was worried about the weight penalty (40 pounds compared to 26 stock). I ended up getting the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. It has a little less aggressive a tread pattern as the K02, but more than some other AT tires that come in small sizes (225/65 or 235/60 x 17”).

I’m very happy with the Coopers. They are really quiet, have great dry-road grip, and aren’t phased by rain or snow. I think the puncture resistance will be less than the K02, but good enough for me and they only weigh 32 pounds.

Supernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Heinze
Member #

The KO2s were in the running for replacing my Toyo AT Extremes, which I hate. But last week on a trail ride, my buddy sliced to steel 3 of his brand new KO2s on a 7mi trail, while the Toyos, an older set of BFG ATs and MTs did just fine. My tires rarely see pavement. Usually tire-eating bull rock. We live in the woods and have to keep the roads open ourselves. After seeing how vulnerable the sidewalls are, I wouldn't feel confident getting down the mountain.View attachment 114768
Wow. That’s ugly.

• Sad
Reactions: Desert Runner

12express

Rank III

Enthusiast III

American Samoa
First Name
Corn
Last Name
Pop
In my experience they aren't good in mud. I've had several sets of them over the years, and that is their major downfall. The lugs are just too close to clean mud.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

looking for a better tire on wet roads
Think skinny. Wide tires are built for floatation. The LAST thing you need in rain.
Skinny tires cut thru puddles, standing water, surface water and maintain traction without slowing down.

I grew up with 7.50R16s & 235/85R16s.
Absolutely the best choice for water.
I just put them on my TJ.

Best ride ever in a Wrangler !!
DSC_0025.jpeg

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The KO2s were in the running for replacing my Toyo AT Extremes, which I hate. But last week on a trail ride, my buddy sliced to steel 3 of his brand new KO2s on a 7mi trail, while the Toyos, an older set of BFG ATs and MTs did just fine. My tires rarely see pavement. Usually tire-eating bull rock. We live in the woods and have to keep the roads open ourselves. After seeing how vulnerable the sidewalls are, I wouldn't feel confident getting down the mountain.View attachment 114768
But they are not flat ??

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
But they are not flat ??
Nope, they were cut to the steel, but not flat. He made it home, but had them replaced immediately. He got one replaced under warranty, since he had 30 days to buy the road hazard warranty and the tire shop hooked him up if retroactively bought 4 warranties.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

while the Toyos, an older set of BFG ATs and MTs did just fine
I gotta say, this is driver error.
Not a reason to judge the tire when others with the same tire survived.
Some guys can break anything.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Nope, they were cut to the steel, but not flat. He made it home, but had them replaced immediately. He got one replaced under warranty, since he had 30 days to buy the road hazard warranty and the tire shop hooked him up if retroactively bought 4 warranties.
Sounds like a testimony to stick with BFG KOs !!

Reactions: MiamiC70

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I gotta say, this is driver error.
Not a reason to judge the tire when others with the same tire survived.
Some guys can break anything.
No one else had the same tire. I had old, workout Toyo Extremes, other guy had really old KO's (old style)and the last guy had new KM's.

Last edited: