Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I’m looking for tires for my LX470 and was advised against getting them by the tire shop because of them being slick on wet roads. Is it that noticeable?
Wet traction is really the only downfall for the KO2. There are so many threads on this tire on so many forums and you'll find that the recurring grip is wet traction. There are people who claim they don't have any problems but you'll rarely find anyone boasting the KO2 prowess in wet. There are also a lot of fanboys out there...

If you want great wet/dry/snow traction from an aggressive AT then look at the Wildpeak A/T3W. For a mild AT the Continental TerrainContact and Yokohama Geolandar AT G015 are excellent in wet but the Conti isn't great in snow. I read the Ridge Grappler also has great wet traction as well but I've never run that tire. I've run the others.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Maybe, but coming of back to back to back German sports cars I drive this Outback like a banshee and no loss of grip because of the BFG K02’s in the rain.
Could just be a cooler weather or truck thing. Kinda like the Duratracs. :)

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Wet traction is really the only downfall for the KO2. There are so many threads on this tire on so many forums and you'll find that the recurring grip is wet traction. There are people who claim they don't have any problems but you'll rarely find anyone boasting the KO2 prowess in wet. There are also a lot of fanboys out there...

If you want great wet/dry/snow traction from an aggressive AT then look at the Wildpeak A/T3W. For a mild AT the Continental TerrainContact and Yokohama Geolandar AT G015 are excellent in wet but the Conti isn't great in snow. I read the Ridge Grappler also has great wet traction as well but I've never run that tire. I've run the others.
Wet traction is the down fall of the Duratracs, I have to be very careful when at low speeds and wet roads, small throttle input breaks the tires loose.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Wet traction is the down fall of the Duratracs, I have to be very careful when at low speeds and wet roads, small throttle input breaks the tires loose.
Big time! I had to run in Auto4wd during rain events to keep the back end from sliding out on me when driving curvy road at or below the speed limit. I don't have to do that with the Wildpeaks or Geolandars.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Big time! I had to run in Auto4wd during rain events to keep the back end from sliding out on me when driving curvy road at or below the speed limit. I don't have to do that with the Wildpeaks or Geolandars.
I find the G015 and Wildpeaks to be fantastic in the rain and snow but just as I think the only shortcoming with the G015 is mud, for the Wildpeaks its ice. Pick your poison haha.

I had heard the same grumblings about the K02 and didn't have a hard time believing them. I never went back to BFG after running the predecessor to the K02 on a truck because of abysmal wet weather traction. Even if the asphalt was simply wet AFTER it rained.

Reactions: BB_trailrook

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I find this to be the problem with the Duratracs here in NW Florida too, very easy to spin the tires on wet roads here. Part of the problem here is some of the roads were built with crushed sea shells in them so after a light rain the oil from the sea shells combined with the rain make the roads slick. I still have some time left before replacing my Duratracs but I'll be looking for something new when it does come time to replace them. I don't need to worry about snow and ice, I need a tire that is good in sand, mud and better grips wet roads infused with sea shell oil, it's almost like driving on ice. I might look at the Wildpeaks but still open to better ideas if there is one.

Reactions: Desert Runner

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

Interesting read so far. New tire time is coming up for the Silverado. The "ALL TERRAIN" they come stock with are awful. Drop of rain and you can't accelerate without spinning. Was thinking of KO2's but now........hmmm. Not doing crazy mudding with my truck, but hate having my drive plowed in the winter, love driving in the snow, not crazy into overlanding to the point where I am doing some major off roading. Couple months to decide still.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Being in Washington states Columbia River Gorge both my wife and I commute on average 40-50 miles a day to work and back and put 20-22K miles on each our vehicles annually. In the Cascades we get rain for months, a few solid weeks of snow, and usually a round or two of freezing rain.

I've had a few sets of BFG A/Ts with pretty similar results as to what people have said above. Solid choice on heavier SUVs and a little squirrely on P/U trucks.

Currently my wife is running KO2's on her 2018 4Runner. Its heavy enough we have never noticed any issues with the rear end breaking loose on the wet. As for snow we take it snowboarding up MT. Hood and she drives some bad hills that are usually riddled with cars in the ditch and crawls right by them to and from work.

On ICE, the solid sheets we get that can end up several inches thick and rip down every power line for miles? Well we just stay home until that crap is over.

In comparison we had the Fj Cruiser with Cooper STTs and had similar results. Although owning it longer it was ran more extensively and through worse conditions.

Having a Tacoma again I am contemplating the Falken wildpeaks over the KO's but haven't committed to either yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desert Runner

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

I’ve had BFG KM2’s in the past on a S10 ZR2 I used to have. The tires did amazing in all conditions including 2ft of snow. I was a huge fan. They rode smooth and very surprisingly quiet for a mud tire. A buddy of mine has KO2’s on his regular cab, long bed power stroke and so far he really likes them. I finally needed new tires on my 2015 Tacoma and ended up getting the KO2’s. Haven’t had them for a week yet so I can’t really leave a honest opinion on how they do on my truck until they get some wear on them. So far they ride really smooth and are extremely quiet.

5E555E82-C168-411D-BAB6-231627744910.jpeg

Reactions: Ghost

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

I’ve had BFG KM2’s in the past on a S10 ZR2 I used to have. The tires did amazing in all conditions including 2ft of snow. I was a huge fan. They rode smooth and very surprisingly quiet for a mud tire. A buddy of mine has KO2’s on his regular cab, long bed power stroke and so far he really likes them. I finally needed new tires on my 2015 Tacoma and ended up getting the KO2’s.
Haven’t had them for a week yet so I can’t really leave a honest opinion on how they do on my truck until they get some wear on them. So far they ride really smooth and are extremely quiet.

View attachment 111625
That is something I didn’t bring up in my previous comment, the ride or the road noise. The KO’s always seem to ride super smooth and have little to no road noise. That is one concern I have with the Falkens. I’ve heard some complaints that as they wear they get louder? I know what I’m getting with KO2s.

Nice rig by the way.

Reactions: l_vandyke

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

While I have ran the previous BFG AT's on older rigs, I just put my first set of KO2's on the van I bought in May. We did a 2,300 mile trip around SW Colorado last month, with a couple hundred on dirt / gravel, and they have held up well. I also had no traction issues, whatsoever. Of course, I got the cookie cutters, and am not far below the weight capacity of these, so those both help. I have a feeling they won't last as long on my rig, due to the weight, though I really don't expect to have them on more than 6 more months, or so, since I plan to do the 4x4 conversion and move to at least 33's, likely 35's.

IMG_20190706_204933.jpg

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

That is something I didn’t bring up in my previous comment, the ride or the road noise. The KO’s always seem to ride super smooth and have little to no road noise. That is one concern I have with the Falkens. I’ve heard some complaints that as they wear they get louder? I know what I’m getting with KO2s.

Nice rig by the way.
Thanks! She’s a work in progress but does a great job. I’ve known a few people that ran Falkens and they really didn’t care for them. Tread wore out pretty quick and didn’t ride very smooth. But both of them were driving Chevy 2500 HD Silverados, so the weight might have contributed to that. I see a lot of people with Tacoma’s starting to use Falkens and Cooper STT Pro’s and day they do well. I’m gonna see how these KO2’s do for me.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

While I have ran the previous BFG AT's on older rigs, I just put my first set of KO2's on the van I bought in May. We did a 2,300 mile trip around SW Colorado last month, with a couple hundred on dirt / gravel, and they have held up well. I also had no traction issues, whatsoever. Of course, I got the cookie cutters, and am not far below the weight capacity of these, so those both help. I have a feeling they won't last as long on my rig, due to the weight, though I really don't expect to have them on more than 6 more months, or so, since I plan to do the 4x4 conversion and move to at least 33's, likely 35's.

View attachment 111631
Cookie cutter, pizza cutter, skinny’s, no matter what you want to call them I’m a fan. It’s probably because my first summer time job was running saw and we rolled to work every morning in a 70 something ford highboy riding on some serious pizza cutters.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Thanks! She’s a work in progress but does a great job. I’ve known a few people that ran Falkens and they really didn’t care for them. Tread wore out pretty quick and didn’t ride very smooth. But both of them were driving Chevy 2500 HD Silverados, so the weight might have contributed to that. I see a lot of people with Tacoma’s starting to use Falkens and Cooper STT Pro’s and day they do well. I’m gonna see how these KO2’s do for me.
I burned through a set of the BFG ATs on my full-size dodge at a disappointing rate. Think I had 40k+ on the ATs I had on my 04 Tacoma when I sold it and they where in great shape. Much lighter rig. We had the Cooper STTs on our FJ and they rocked, especially in the deep snow. They would push it. I’ll probably just go with the KO’s because I know what I’m getting already having a set. Although I may go with something skinny.

Reactions: l_vandyke

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

I burned through a set of the BFG ATs on my full-size dodge at a disappointing rate. Think I had 40k+ on the ATs I had on my 04 Tacoma when I sold it and they where in great shape. Much lighter rig. We had the Cooper STTs on our FJ and they rocked, especially in the deep snow. They would push it. I’ll probably just go with the KO’s because I know what I’m getting already having a set. Although I may go with something skinny.
The majority of the people I’ve seen that don’t like BFG tires are people with full size and diesel trucks. They’re just so heavy. But most people that have lighter vehicles like Tacomas, FJ’s, and even 4Runners usually have plenty of good to say. I’ve talked to several other people on Instagram and forums with Tacoma’s that love the KO2’s because of their good on-road ride and off-road capability.

Reactions: 64Trvlr and Ghost

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

The majority of the people I’ve seen that don’t like BFG tires are people with full size and diesel trucks. They’re just so heavy. But most people that have lighter vehicles like Tacomas, FJ’s, and even 4Runners usually have plenty of good to say. I’ve talked to several other people on Instagram and forums with Tacoma’s that love the KO2’s because of their good on-road ride and off-road capability.
Bullseye! I had them on a a 4wheel drive Dodge 2500 12 value diesel. I’d probably not have any second thoughts on the KO’s but my wife made the comment I should get them “so we could have matching wheels”

SMH :):):) what next matching shirts???

Reactions: Viking1204

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Bullseye! I had them on a a 4wheel drive Dodge 2500 12 value diesel. I’d probably not have any second thoughts on the KO’s but my wife made the comment I should get them “so we could have matching wheels”

SMH :):):) what next matching shirts???
Pretty sure this comes next haha...

images.jpg

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@BB_trailrook
I’m looking for tires for my LX470 and was advised against getting them by the tire shop because of them being slick on wet roads. Is it that noticeable?
Over the last 18 months they have not been a problem for me in my 4th Gen 4runner. This includes normal daily driving stuff, offroading, and towing a 3klb trailer over the Co mountains through rain, sleet, and snow.

Boort

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
So what is everyone running on full size trucks? Like I stated above looking for a better tire on wet roads than the Duratrac. My 2011 F-150 Supercrew FX4 weighs roughly 6000 lbs with all the gear I keep in it regularly under the Diamondback cover.

Reactions: MidOH