San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
NOTE: I am posting this under the correct account.

Hello all, I'm going to try to keep this updated as I work on this truck.

I don't have a ton of time because the truck isn't at my home, but at a friends house that lives ~30-45 minutes away, and I do not have a ton of money.

However, I do have some parts already to get her going:

- Chevy 350 Shortblock
- T90 3 speed manual transmission
- Spicer 18 Transfer case
- Dana 44 front axle
- Dana 53 rear axle

I also have a camper shell that I am planning to outfit for some very comfortable camping.

And a million smaller things.

Here are some shots of my picking her up in Oregon, about 12 hours drive from where I live:

I'll keep you all posted!

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
That is such a cool vehicle!
Thanks Steve! I'm hoping I can ride on the expertise of others to learn what I am doing. Because of this truck I've already learned to weld (poorly, but I can do it :blush:) and will soon learn the finer points of engine, transmission and transfer-case rebuilding.

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
Good luck! Just this afternoon, I found that my MG, which is one year older than your Jeep, has a blown head gasket. It has 26 miles on it since a costly major engine rebuild...
Whoa, that must hurt. Good luck with the repairs!

Reactions: Steve

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
Using an old picture from when I picked up the truck, here is my basic plan for a modular bed platform for the camper. Let me know what you all think!

1. FC-170 - Hooking it up: Inside the camper.jpg 2. FC-170 pickup wire frame.png 3. FC-170 pickup & camper wire frame.png 4. FC-170 frame for bed.png 5. FC-170 bed floor.png 6. FC-170 bed frame and floor stored.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ASNOBODY and Steve

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
What an awesome Jeep! That is very unique! I love the old markings on the tailgate= 4wheel drive.

Keep us updated on the project.

Is there a way to insulate the cargo area? The metal seems like it would make for a challenging environment in cold/hot weather.

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
What an awesome Jeep! That is very unique! I love the old markings on the tailgate= 4wheel drive.

Keep us updated on the project.

Is there a way to insulate the cargo area? The metal seems like it would make for a challenging environment in cold/hot weather.
Thanks! We have almost everything to put the drivetrain together when the time permits.

I have an idea to insulate the cargo area, as that is going to be my sleeping area. I am going to use 1/2" to 3/4" thick closed cell foam and attach it to the inside of the camper. The foam should be good enough for insulation, that plus my blankets and an oil lantern should keep it warm.

I also plan on some kind of fan setup for warmer whether, though I haven't figured that out yet.

I'll keep this build thread as up to date as I can!

Reactions: ArmyofMike

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
I was hoping some overlanders here could help me out with something.

I am trying to think of a good way to increase my fuel capacity (when I eventually get her up and running). I currently have the stock 18 gallon tank that sits under the truck in the rear. I have been thinking that I would like to buy an aux gas tank and put it in the bed of the truck. But I know being in an enclosed space with gasoline isn't the best idea.

Does anyone have experience with this? I wanted to buy actual gas tanks to put in the bed, not gas cans, and I would route a breather pipe to the outside so fumes would go outside and not in the sleeping area. Are there any other ways that I could increase my fuel capacity without just piling on gas cans (I am already planning on having some).

Thanks!

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
The parts are starting to flow in!

As expected the truck came with only a Spicer 18. My surprise when I see it has a Koenig PTO adapter already set up!

I already bought the transmission and bellhousing adapter. Wait what's this connected the to transfer case?

That is a T90A, and a GM to T90 adapter. Already under the truck. I really should have checked before buying a second transmission and adapter :expressionless:

On top of that, the clutch and pressure plate are on their way!

Reactions: ASNOBODY

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I was hoping some overlanders here could help me out with something.

I am trying to think of a good way to increase my fuel capacity (when I eventually get her up and running). I currently have the stock 18 gallon tank that sits under the truck in the rear. I have been thinking that I would like to buy an aux gas tank and put it in the bed of the truck. But I know being in an enclosed space with gasoline isn't the best idea.

Does anyone have experience with this? I wanted to buy actual gas tanks to put in the bed, not gas cans, and I would route a breather pipe to the outside so fumes would go outside and not in the sleeping area. Are there any other ways that I could increase my fuel capacity without just piling on gas cans (I am already planning on having some).

Thanks!
What kind of room do you have between the frame rails and bed sides? I would NOT suggest putting the fuel tank of any kind in the same area you will be sleeping.

What is you need for the extra fuel? 18 gallon tank seems decent. Personally, adding an auxiliary tank can get complicated in a hurry. For the time and effort, I would simply add a few jerry cans to the bed sides.

Not being a Jeep or FC person, is there a larger tank available (original equipment or aftermarket) that bolts in place of the stocker?