San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
What kind of room do you have between the frame rails and bed sides? I would NOT suggest putting the fuel tank of any kind in the same area you will be sleeping.

What is you need for the extra fuel? 18 gallon tank seems decent. Personally, adding an auxiliary tank can get complicated in a hurry. For the time and effort, I would simply add a few jerry cans to the bed sides.

Not being a Jeep or FC person, is there a larger tank available (original equipment or aftermarket) that bolts in place of the stocker?
There are no stock-fit aftermarket tanks that increase space, but there are some new ones of the same size (~18 gallons). I really did like the idea of having a 50 gallon capacity, but I could live with Jerry cans that I've already planned for (~20 gallons). I have also thought about a custom tank that fills every nook and cranny between the rails, but I wasn't sure how good a solution that would be.

I know being in the same area, enclosed, with gas is not a good idea. Aw well, Jerry cans it is!

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

For additional fuel capacity look for a thin aluminum tank from a boat. They are available in various capacitys and should be able to mount under the bed floor. Usually they are only 6-7 inches deep but long and wide.

I am going with dual side mounted 20 gallon fuel cells on my project .

Last edited:

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
For additional fuel capacity look for a thin aluminum tank from a boat. They are available in various capacitys and should be able to mount under the bed floor. Usually they are only 6-7 inches deep but long and wide.

I am going with dual side mounted 20 gallon fuel cells on my project .
That is a great idea, I see some good flat boat tanks I can use that would probably fit perfectly, thanks for the idea! What side mount tanks are you using on your rig?

project.hi.vis

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

York, SC
Member #

I love this truck!! Reading your thread is giving me motivation to get started on my 1958 FC-150.

The thing that's killing me is the lack of parts for the body. The cab corners are shot on mine and I'm not to good with body work.

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
I love this truck!! Reading your thread is giving me motivation to get started on my 1958 FC-150.

The thing that's killing me is the lack of parts for the body. The cab corners are shot on mine and I'm not to good with body work.
Here is a youtube video on how to do it!
You should get your FC running. There are so few out, it would be a shame to have this Willy's history lost.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I have been told the curve is the same in the roof corners as the rear lower corners . Some have cut repair pannels from a bad cab to make the new patches on a better cab.

As for what am I using for fuel tanks . They are rectangular aluminum fuel cells made by rci.

The steering is a 90 degree gear box of sufficient strength and 1976 Dodge Ramcharger (regular rotation) power box . Add a wagoner pitman arm and that is what I am using.

Mines not finished yet but the steering works.

This might save you some time. My build:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/1958-fc-170.11736/

Last edited:

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
I have been told the curve is the same in the roof corners as the rear lower corners . Some have cut repair pannels from a bad cab to make the new patches on a better cab.

As for what am I using for fuel tanks . They are rectangular aluminum fuel cells made by rci.

The steering is a 90 degree gear box of sufficient strength and 1976 Dodge Ramcharger (regular rotation) power box . Add a wagoner pitman arm and that is what I am using.

Mines not finished yet but the steering works.

This might save you some time. My build:
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=423106
I love your write-up! Thanks for all the information, I've been trying to find the right way to do power steering for a while.

project.hi.vis

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

York, SC
Member #

It still has the original engine, tranny, and xfercase. the engine isnt locked up, well it wasnt when i brought it home. My plans for mine are a scrambler frame, inline-6 or 4bt, auto tranny and still deciding on the axles. Im wanting to use a utility truck bed from a single rear wheel work truck. I need to find the windows for evertthing but the windshield.

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
It still has the original engine, tranny, and xfercase. the engine isnt locked up, well it wasnt when i brought it home. My plans for mine are a scrambler frame, inline-6 or 4bt, auto tranny and still deciding on the axles. Im wanting to use a utility truck bed from a single rear wheel work truck. I need to find the windows for evertthing but the windshield.
A 4bt would be a seriously awesome rig. I am throwing a 350 in mine, but was looking for the original inline 6 or a Cerlist 3cyl diesel that went in the military models. Instead, my 350 was 200$ so I picked that up.

If/When you get working on it, make a build thread here!

project.hi.vis

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

York, SC
Member #

A 4bt would be a seriously awesome rig. I am throwing a 350 in mine, but was looking for the original inline 6 or a Cerlist 3cyl diesel that went in the military models. Instead, my 350 was 200$ so I picked that up.

If/When you get working on it, make a build thread here!
I will be sure to start a thread on here. A buddy of mine has a scrambler frame and I'm going to try to buy it off of him. I have a 1 ton Toyota duality rear end with wheels but I'm not sure I want to run that.

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
I will be sure to start a thread on here. A buddy of mine has a scrambler frame and I'm going to try to buy it off of him. I have a 1 ton Toyota duality rear end with wheels but I'm not sure I want to run that.
That sounds awesome, if you ever make it out to the west coast, shoot me a message, we can take our then-running FC's on a trail run!

project.hi.vis

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

York, SC
Member #

I will be on the west coast next June if all goes as planned. I'm driving the TransAmerica Trail in June. Thats my current project now... building my JKU up for that trip. Im almost "finished"

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Toss in a summit racing 1102 or 1103 cam kit for a bit better power out of the 350. I am using the 1102 in my 307 sbc in my fc170 but have used the 1103 (before in a mildly build 350 with great results for towing and low to mid rpm power (it was in a 77 GMC k10)

Reactions: billiardspintail