Best mobile air compressor unit for Overland travel?

• HTML tutorial

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

After a lot of researching, I just bought the ARB CKMP12. I hooked it up to my second battery and ran it quickly with no issues. I'll have to report back after using it to fill up all four tires.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Did you make it yourself. Can you show us the inside ? Awesome packaging..
It is the Air Armor M240 I mentioned in a previous post (#74 - I went back and looked). I've had it for quite a few years now and have been happy with it for filling up my Jeep's 33" tires. Plenty of room inside the can for the hose and battery cables and other related stuff. Not the worlds fastest (not the slowest either), or quietest (it is loud, but I've never seen a quiet one other than CO2 tanks), or cheapest (you can spend a lot more for a compressor), but I like it.

Link: Tire Inflator, Air Armor M240 30AMP, 3500 Cu In

On the site linked above it runs for $129.99. If you shop around you might find it cheaper (definitely not cheaper on Amazon).

I like it because:

1) I'm retired Army, so anything in an ammo can is cool to me.

2) I can swap it between vehicles (96 Ram 1500 4x4, 98 Jeep TJ, 46 Willys CJ2A) depending on what I'm heading out in. And I have.

3) Power cord and hose are plenty long - I don't have to move the can once I've connected the power cords to the battery (they recommend keeping the vehicle running while using this thing; probably they all recommend you do).

4) Being in an ammo can (did I mention I just think ammo cans are cool?) keeps it protected and safe if knocked around. I could mount this can outside my Jeep or on my trailer and not worry about the elements harming the compressor and such.

Here's one mounting idea (but you want the one for the "Fat - 50"):
5) Was reasonably priced I thought. Folks spend hundreds of dollars for those ARB twin compressors (they are nice if you can afford it), and if I were doing an Alaska to Argentina trip I'd probably get one too. But since I'm not, this M240 thing works for me.

6) Where it attaches to the valve stem, it clips on so you don't have to stand there holding it on (I don't know if other similar compressors do the same thing).

Cons (I guess I should try and keep this balanced - I didn't mean to turn this thing into an essay):

1) It does get warm/hot after use (I'm sure all of these similar-type ones do to some extent). But since it is enclosed in an ammo can, you probably need to take a little more time to let it cool down before closing the lid afterwards. The compressor is mounted inside the can; it doesn't come out of the can for use.

2) It isn't a 100% duty cycle. Plenty of time for me to air-up my tires and help someone else out, but that's about it (although I've never timed it). Tell your friends to get their own air compressors! I'll turn it off sometimes when going between tires on my Jeep. I think it only takes a minute or two (three maybe?) per tire to bring my 33" tires back up to where I want them.

3) The built-in air pressure gauge isn't the most accurate. Use a hand gauge you trust to find out what your desired pressure is, and then compare that to the pressure showing on the built-in pressure gauge so you'll know when you're where you want to be pressure-wise according to the M240 gauge.

4) The ammo can isn't going to mold-to-fit in an odd-shaped space like a soft-sided bag might do. So it might take up a little more space than the compressors that come in a soft case (like some of the VIAR compressors).

Air Armor.1.PNG

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
It is the Air Armor M240 I mentioned in a previous post (#74 - I went back and looked). I've had it for quite a few years now and have been happy with it for filling up my Jeep's 33" tires. Plenty of room inside the can for the hose and battery cables and other related stuff. Not the worlds fastest (not the slowest either), or quietest (it is loud, but I've never seen a quiet one other than CO2 tanks), or cheapest (you can spend a lot more for a compressor), but I like it.

On the site linked above it runs for $129.99. If you shop around you might find it cheaper (definitely not cheaper on Amazon).

I like it because:

2) I can swap it between vehicles (96 Ram 1500 4x4, 98 Jeep TJ, 46 Willys CJ2A) depending on what I'm heading out in. And I have.

3) Power cord and hose are plenty long - I don't have to move the can once I've connected the power cords to the battery (they recommend keeping the vehicle running while using this thing; probably they all recommend you do).

4) Being in an ammo can (did I mention I just think ammo cans are cool?) keeps it protected and safe if knocked around. I could mount this can outside my Jeep or on my trailer and not worry about the elements harming the compressor and such.

Here's one mounting idea:
5) Was reasonably priced I thought. Folks spend hundreds of dollars for those ARB twin compressors (they are nice if you can afford it), and if I were doing an Alaska to Argentina trip I'd probably get one too. But since I'm not, this M240 thing works for me.

6) Where it attaches to the valve stem, it clips on so you don't have to stand there holding it on (I don't know if other similar compressors do the same thing).

Cons (I guess I should try and keep this balanced - I didn't mean to turn this thing into an essay):

1) It does get warm/hot after use (I'm sure all of these similar-type ones do to some extent). But since it is enclosed in an ammo can, you probably need to take a little more time to let it cool down before closing the lid afterwards. The compressor is mounted inside the can; it doesn't come out of the can for use.

2) It isn't a 100% duty cycle. Plenty of time for me to air-up my tires and help someone else out, but that's about it (although I've never timed it). Tell your friends to get their own air compressors! I'll turn it off sometimes when going between tires on my Jeep. I think it only takes a minute or two (three maybe?) to bring my 33" tires back up to where I want them.

3) The built-in air pressure gauge isn't the most accurate. Use a hand gauge you trust to find out what your desired pressure is, and then compare that to the pressure showing on the built-in pressure gauge so you'll know when you're where you want to be pressure-wise according to the M240 gauge.

4) The ammo can isn't going to mold-to-fit in an odd-shaped space like a soft-sided bag might do. So it might take up a little more space than the compressors that come in a soft case (like some of the VIAR compressors).

View attachment 149525
Thank you , the info is very helpful. :-)

kooner2k

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

GLADE SPRING, VA, USA
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Koontz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JLT
I have a harbor freight 150psi compressor , it’s a little slow but has been working fine for 5 years now, It’s even reseated a couple tires (ratchet strap around the tire and a good amount of luck ) . One of the biggest thing with some of the smaller air compressors is you need to turn the compressor on first and then screw the valve onto the tire if you put it on the tire first and then start up the compressor it tends to over load the motor and burn it out.
I watched a few guys on you tube evaluate these portable air compressors and they went off speed , over heating and price. the Harbor freight always seemed to come out at or near the top. I went and bought one and used it a couple times on my Lawn Tractor and it did well.

Reactions: Graeman

JohnKeller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Park City, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Keller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FIQ
My Jeep is set up for overlanding an some hard core rock crawling. That said I have tried a few low cost options and finally bit the bullet and got the twin ARB. I run 35" tires and air down to 11 psi on the trails and then want to get to at least 30 psi when back on the pavement. I'm usually with a group and getting back on the road ASAP means getting to the local pub for refreshments.

That said I love the ARB. Reliable and incredibly fast. I mounted mine under the passenger seat.

RubiRigo

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Mountain View, CA, USA
First Name
Rodrigo
Last Name
S
Member #

Alright fellow overlandies, Amazon links are appreciated. What do you use, what works, what will last? I need a mobile compressor for my 4Runner so I can air down then back up in the backcountry. Let me have the knowledge. Thanks in advance, Nico.
This air compressor will help you air up in no time and is a good price. I’ve had it for over a year and it has been great. It takes about 2:30min per tire. I have 37” tires.

Reactions: Graeman

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I’m somewhat torn on what path to take.

Although the ARB onboard unit definitely appeals to me, it just doesn’t seem ultra-reliable enough to justify the high cost to install. Some of the much cheaper portable units on Amazon actually have a higher percentage of 5 star reviews, some with even more reviews. Amazon and here both have negative stories on the ARB. To me, that doesn’t help the 2-3+ times increase in cost. Plus, it can’t be used in other vehicles. But, it sure does look cool!

The ExtremeAire High Output seems like a possible option, but it is also pricey and has very few reviews that I can find. It does look well made, but doesn’t seem like it would be that much faster than some of the cheaper options. I think the Magnum is overkill for my needs.

I’m almost thinking something like the Ammo Air might be the best option. I could go through four of those and still be cheaper than an ARB. Perhaps buy-once cry-once doesn‘t apply to these units. ??

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I like it because:

Here's one mounting idea (but you want the one for the "Fat - 50"):

2) It isn't a 100% duty cycle. Plenty of time for me to air-up my tires and help someone else out, but that's about it (although I've never timed it). Tell your friends to get their own air compressors! I'll turn it off sometimes when going between tires on my Jeep. I think it only takes a minute or two (three maybe?) per tire to bring my 33" tires back up to where I want them.

View attachment 149525
I decided to go with this unit. I know this is an odd question, but does anyone know if this box can be mounted horizontally and the compressor still operate? I’d like to mount it to the roof rack, but don’t want it sticking up so high. I think this unit is oil-less, in which case it can operate this way, but am not sure.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
These things get hot after running a while (I'm sure they all do). Heat rises, and normally when using this thing the lid is open so heat can escape. I don't know if overheating would be an issue if you were running it with the can on its side. That would be my concern.

I could see storing it on its side, but then taking it down and putting it on the ground when needed.

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
Got a 480c, trying to decide If I want to mount it on my rig with an airtank, or make a "Portable" unit out of it.

20200620_155256.jpg

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
I have the same Viair 480C. It was mounted under the hood of My T4R for a couple of years and now lives under the hood of my Tacoma. Great compressor. I got mine as a "scratch and dent" buy off ebay for a great price and it has performed beautifully without an air tank.

Reactions: educky

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
I have the same Viair 480C. It was mounted under the hood of My T4R for a couple of years and now lives under the hood of my Tacoma. Great compressor. I got mine as a "scratch and dent" buy off ebay for a great price and it has performed beautifully without an air tank.
Got pics of your setup? Any tips for a non-tank setup? I had a 450c on my T4R with a tank, but included those when i sold it.

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
The truck is pretty new so I have installed it under the hood but have yet to wire and plumb it. It's usable as is--alligator clips and quick disconnect on the braided hose. But I will wire it to a dash switch and install a quick connect on the bumper, now that I have a steel bumper installed.
OBA mine.JPG

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
These things get hot after running a while (I'm sure they all do). Heat rises, and normally when using this thing the lid is open so heat can escape. I don't know if overheating would be an issue if you were running it with the can on its side. That would be my concern.

I could see storing it on its side, but then taking it down and putting it on the ground when needed.
The can looks large enough to mount a small 12v computer fan to the side of the ammo can and wire it in to the compressor switch. That way it will blow cool air over the compressor while it runs.

CavGeek

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ. 85027
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Reiner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6ZWC
Service Branch
U.S.Army
I like my Viair 400P Automatic. Airs up my 33s quickly and the automatic shutoff function helps keep it cooler when moving from tire to tire. I don't like the bag though and am thinking about hard mounting it inside a hard case if I can find one that will accommodate the compressor, hose, and inflator.
I just got a 400P Auto as well, did you ever find a good container for it? just curious as I'm not a huge fan of the Meltable Nylon bag either, I'd rather be able to put it away quickly after use.

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

I like my Viair 400P Automatic. Airs up my 33s quickly and the automatic shutoff function helps keep it cooler when moving from tire to tire. I don't like the bag though and am thinking about hard mounting it inside a hard case if I can find one that will accommodate the compressor, hose, and inflator.
I just got a 400P Auto as well, did you ever find a good container for it? just curious as I'm not a huge fan of the Meltable Nylon bag either, I'd rather be able to put it away quickly after use.
I have the Viair 440p & use it on my Jeep with 37s & it works great. I also use it on both my vans that I run 35s on… can’t really tell the difference when I need to air back up between tire sizes, maybe 1 to 2mins max. Guess I need to time it with my watch the next time out. After seeing the ammo box set up I may consider going away from the bag. But so far the canvas bad has worked fine.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
If the 400 model has the same dimensions as the 88P model, then use a surplus 400 round ammo can. This is what I use, and it has room for the 6 foot extension hose and some small accessories. Water proof and offers good protection to the unit.