Best Gas Can for Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

LifestyleFJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hi everyone! I'm looking into having a couple Jerry cans onboard my FJ Cruiser for when I go on some fairly larger overland trips soon. Do you have any suggestions for Jerry cans that are very solid and don't leak easily? I wasn't sure if there was a particular brand that is really solid.
Thanks in advance!

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I vote Wavian. I have a stack of other types of gas cans sitting around.. i need to get rid of them.

Only exception is I have a Front Runner water jerry, plastic, with the brass upgrade tap. I like it for just typical camp things, dishes, etc. But I keep it inside the cargo area. I feel like it would not last as long in a jerry holder on the rack or bumper carrier.

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

i dont use the carb spout. ;)

I hate the Carb Spout!!! Takes three people twenty minutes to empty a five gallons container, half on them and the ground, other half in the truck, if you are lucky. I bought the aftermarket kit at Tractor Supply and changed my can.

Overland Bound Member #6080
Follow us on Facebook, and Instagram

Reactions: coccobill

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Is it just the spout or something else? I just bought them that way, so I don't even know what the carb version of a wavian looks like.

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

Is it just the spout or something else? I just bought them that way, so I don't even know what the carb version of a wavian looks like.
It's for the traditional plastic five gallon cans, believe it's called EZ Pour.

Overland Bound Member #6080
Follow us on Facebook, and Instagram

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
It's the spout that is CARB. Give Wavian props, they worked with CARB to make a legal, metal NATO jerry can. Here is a demo of old vs new spouts. I guess you have to make sure you depress the spout nozzle fully on the CARB spout. The old spout has that whistle and drains a bit quicker.

NYCO

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Colorado
Member #

if you can get a wavian with the old spout, that's a good setup. luckily I bought a few before the new spout design and they fit the current cans still. new spout is a PITA!

Reactions: shoredreamer

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I have a 4 gallon rotopax, that I may actually be getting rid of. Works great. I like the slim profile. Easy to store.

NYCO

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Colorado
Member #

On top of my prinsu cabrac
very nice. make sure to test for leaks before laying sideways.. I had two that would not seal properly luckily my primary mounting was always on the side of my bed rack. I would have to make sure those were not filled to the top so when gas sloshed around, it didn't leak into my bed.

Reactions: Slow_racer_218

Slow_racer_218

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

New Jersey USA
Member #

very nice. make sure to test for leaks before laying sideways.. I had two that would not seal properly luckily my primary mounting was always on the side of my bed rack. I would have to make sure those were not filled to the top so when gas sloshed around, it didn't leak into my bed.
Oh man don't tell me that. Had I known they leaked I would have gone a cheaper and different route. I've yet to mount them but will make sure I test them with water first. Thanks for the heads up though. Btw I'll be driving up to Colorado at the end of august....looking at checking out Rocky Mountains NP and Alpine Loop