Best Gas Can for Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

NYCO

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Colorado
Member #

Oh man don't tell me that. Had I known they leaked I would have gone a cheaper and different route. I've yet to mount them but will make sure I test them with water first. Thanks for the heads up though. Btw I'll be driving up to Colorado at the end of august....looking at checking out Rocky Mountains NP and Alpine Loop
the brand new rotopax I had no issue with, however, I picked up two from CBI when I got my bumper that were discounted from the factory and those are the two I had issues with.

most people I talk to have never had issues with them, but I always warn people to check before laying flat especially when it's over paint. you never know until you try and it's best to find out early on if there is an issue.

Reactions: Slow_racer_218

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Oh man don't tell me that. Had I known they leaked I would have gone a cheaper and different route. I've yet to mount them but will make sure I test them with water first. Thanks for the heads up though. Btw I'll be driving up to Colorado at the end of august....looking at checking out Rocky Mountains NP and Alpine Loop
They swell once filled and mounted making them very hard to remove from their mount. Do not over tighten the twist mount or you'll be in trouble.

Reactions: Slow_racer_218

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

On a related note, I picked up a couple of the plastic SKILCRAFT Water Can from buylci.com for $25 each. They look pretty identical to the scepter cans, but are US made and say "US government property" on them. Great for my water storage though. My primary is the Front Runner water jerry with brass upgrade valve, but for outside the vehicle these will hold up better. The front runner stays inside the vehicle to keep clean.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Scepter gets my vote. Have 6. They don't leak but sourcing replacement cap parts is a pain. They do wear out and need servicing eventually.

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

I am really interested in the Jerry Can route but am wondering what people prefer; Metal vs Plastic. I am guessing that the plastic can would swell in the heat?

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

ADC2FA30-8562-4FEF-8566-A4CD53E1D365.jpeg
I’ve had good luck with my sure cans, they drain well into the tank, and the flow from the bottom feature makes them easy to hold. Fairly spendy at the local hardware but held up well this past summer.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I use two USMC Metal Jerry Cans. One is 5gal, other is 2.5gal. The 5gal has a date stamp on bottom that is the same month/year I was born....1978! Still holds gas, doesn't have a CARB spout and fits perfectly onto my ORFAB Tire Carrier. The 2.5gal doesn't fit on my tire carrier, but fits well on my roof rack or on my overland trailer. I had some of the newer styles and as stated, the CARB spouts are a joke and the newer style don't have a lip at the bottom that fits into my carrier.

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Sceptre water and gas cans. They work in every climate, in most every condition I can think of where you would need gas or water, most NATO militaries use them or something similar. They have never failed me. I do like them better than metal cans and seem to hold up to more abuse. Bullet holes or punctures can be easily plugged and patched up on the trail or road. They are not cheap but in my opinion they are worth the money.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Last edited:

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I scored four used old school military gas cans. I cleaned them up and painted them. I coated the inside with tank sealer. I like the large opening. I have a spare fuel pump from my jeep with a 20 foot hose and power cord. I don't take them off the trailer, I simply pop the top, drop in the pump, put the hose in my tank, and turn it on. It empties the can in just a couple of minutes, without having to hold the can to the side of the vehicle.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have a plastic/poly one with a no drip spout. It seals up well so no mess or smell while stored in my vehicle. I rarely carry it full of fuel inside my vehicle, but the few times I have, I haven't had any issues.

Last edited:

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I've been putting air compressor drain valves in my plastic fuel cans.

Lowes part number 221037

I stepped down to the drill bit smaller so that the brass threads would hold in the plastic. Works better than any other vent and since it is brass it doesn't break down in gasoline, ethanol or sunlight.