Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Well I guess it depends on what you wan't in a camp chair. My favorite spot to sit in camp is typically my hammock. But I do carry actual chairs in the truck for around the campfire and such.
I had been keeping a pair of the $7 chairs from academy in the truck for years for such endeavors. But last fall "upgraded" to a newer style that was a quasi helinox knockoff from amazon. I like it's tall back, but am not happy with it enough to buy a matching one.
The Sunyear I got last year- http://a.co/d/9aWB0Z5

I'm eyeing the REI Flex-lite Macro Chairs, with the optional underquilts for the versatility since I camp year round.

Flex lite macro chair- https://www.rei.com/product/114354/rei-co-op-flexlite-macro-chair

Flexlite macro underquilt (insulates those mesh panels in colder weather) - https://www.rei.com/product/136211/rei-co-op-flexlite-macro-chair-underquilt

willnicks

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Francisco
Member #

Chair choice also depends on how much storage space you have. Chairs can take up a lot of room.

With our fool-size rig we have a lot of space so we have generous sized Alps Mountaineering King Kong chairs (800lb capacity). Not that we are that big, but I wanted something that was a bit overbuilt. Been holding up great over several years of abuse and friends comment on their comfort.

One thing I noticed during the cold nights at the recent rally was that most camp chairs are slightly reclined, which makes leaning forward towards the camp fire uncomfortable. So then you have hot knees/cold face going on. At the rally I switched to a little Alps side-kick stool so I could lean forward and be warmer. IMO, it's nice to have both styles in your "chair quiver." Or just bring a stool when you feel like going minimalist.

upload_2018-10-11_10-39-52.png

Last edited:
Chair choice also depends on how much storage space you have. Chairs can take up a lot of room.

With our fool-size rig we have a lot of space so we have generous sized Alps Mountaineering King Kong chairs (800lb capacity). Not that we are that big, but I wanted something that was a bit overbuilt. Been holding up great over several years of abuse and friends comment on their comfort.

One thing I noticed during the cold nights at the recent rally was that most camp chairs are slightly reclined, which makes leaning forward towards the camp fire uncomfortable. So then you have hot knees/cold face going on. At the rally I switched to a little Alps side-kick stool so I could lean forward and be warmer. IMO, it's nice to have both styles in your "chair quiver." Or just bring a stool when you feel like going minimalist.

View attachment 71952
Those look nice and also compact!

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I have 2 of these and absolutely love them.
https://www.scheels.com/p/gci-outdoor-freestyle-rocker/63144400474.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiApvbhBRDXARIsALnNoK1pBFv6HQl2VdCEs4JuTXPk4s3sch9D-ECKeYhREqZ5mFT3eWsNxHkaAmLHEALw_wcB

Its nice to have a good solid rocker that's comfortable. They fold up flat which I find better than the usually cylindrical shape of folding chairs. Obviously if space is a premium these probably aren't for you though.
I second the rocker, got mine from REI and it has become my favorite

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
I have one of these, they are massive, bigger than my tent, but they are the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in, and I always make sure it comes with me camping:

I bought mine from Costco a few years ago, but I haven't seen them sell it since.

Reactions: Drifterman

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I use a traditional collapsible sling chair (from Walmart IIRC) which is very comfy and is now 13-14 years old or a Trekology (like the helinox) which I keep in the LX for its diminutive collapsed size. Less comfy but better than sitting on a rock.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I've been using a few Columbia camp chairs for years. They fold up nicely for travelling and they're great for lounging around . I also like that the mesh seat drains if they get stuck out in the rain. They're not the best though for bellying up to the dinner table. I'm looking for a set that are a bit more "upright".

Camp - 517g2vYWtiL__SX466_.jpg

Andrew Farnsworth

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lawrenceville, GA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Farnsworth
Member #

I've been using a few Columbia camp chairs for years. They fold up nicely for travelling and they're great for lounging around . I also like that the mesh seat drains if they get stuck out in the rain. They're not the best though for bellying up to the dinner table. I'm looking for a set that are a bit more "upright".

View attachment 85100
I have a couple of these Moer sky chairs from amazon and love them. They are inexpensive compared to the other brands of the same style chair and pack very small. IMG_4401.JPG

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I have a couple of these Moer sky chairs from amazon and love them. They are inexpensive compared to the other brands of the same style chair and pack very small. View attachment 85108
Those look very comfortable. The problem I have with my current chairs, and I think I would with those too, is that I have to sit on the front edge of the chair when eating at a table. It's doable ... just not that comfortable.

Soloshootsfirst

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
J
Last Name
P
Member #

I went a little crazy as this chair was over $200 at REI. I probably wouldn’t have purchased it without two gift certificates from Christmas that defrayed the cost (in my mind). It is more comfortable than many indoor chairs. I love slouching backwards near the camp fire, but that usually ends with tipping over backwards, bending a leg or digging the two rear legs into the dirt. The suspension on this chair is ridiculous.