Basics for FZJ80 maintenance

• HTML tutorial

Lazlo

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Aspen, CO
Member #

Hello to everyone, I’m new and quite excited to have gotten a 1996 FZJ80 currently getting some body work, paint, and a mechanical “once over” at Proffitt Resurrection. I’m a surgeon, pretty good with my hands, and while I can take a spleen out blindfolded I’m not sure where to find an oil filter nor what kinds of tools I would need to take care of a land cruiser.
I’ve seen some posts about novice mechanical work, and will take the suggestion of an online class that someone made on one of those threads. Looking at Amazon, there are a couple of repair manuals for the 1996 LC, and I’m wondering if anyone can suggest the best book/manual to get, as well as a good comprehensive tool set for repairs on the fly. What do the experienced folks carry with them for repair when overlanding?
Thanks,
Adam

Reactions: Homeguy

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Adam Lowenstein

Hello to everyone, I’m new and quite excited to have gotten a 1996 FZJ80 currently getting some body work, paint, and a mechanical “once over” at Proffitt Resurrection. I’m a surgeon, pretty good with my hands, and while I can take a spleen out blindfolded I’m not sure where to find an oil filter nor what kinds of tools I would need to take care of a land cruiser.
I’ve seen some posts about novice mechanical work, and will take the suggestion of an online class that someone made on one of those threads. Looking at Amazon, there are a couple of repair manuals for the 1996 LC, and I’m wondering if anyone can suggest the best book/manual to get, as well as a good comprehensive tool set for repairs on the fly. What do the experienced folks carry with them for repair when overlanding?
Thanks,
Adam
Ya took her to the right place. The team at Proffitt know their Cruisers.

Here is a link for the Toyota FRM for your 1996 LC (Pub # RM451U ):
No affiliation with the seller just one of the sites I book marked for looking for my T4r FRM set.

Boort

Reactions: Lazlo

Lazlo

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Aspen, CO
Member #

Reactions: Boort

Lazlo

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Aspen, CO
Member #

Thanks,
Adam
Still looking for a tool set- any advice??

SoCalFJZ80

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntington Beach
Member #

Toolkit for your rig should consist of the following:
Metric set of wrenches. I prefer gear wrench but make sure you have 10,12,14,15,17 and 19mm along with Sockets in all of those sizes. Lug Nuts are a 21mm. Breaker bar, Screwdrivers, extensions, ratchets etc etc..But you should have a basic set of tools. Go to Sears and buy one of the craftsman master mechanic kits or gearwrench

Lazlo

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Aspen, CO
Member #

Do you carry that entire master mechanic kit with you? That's not a light load...

SoCalFJZ80

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntington Beach
Member #

Majority of the truck is metric. But I always carry both. And you’re driving a FJ80. It’s already a pig. Having extra tools that you’ll always ending up needing as soon as you remove them are worth their weight. Literally.

Reactions: Lazlo

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Adam Lowenstein
Here is the list I have put together from a number of posts here and on T4r.org for my 4runner (works out to be much the same as my Tacoma, and not that different from my old VW Bug tool kit)

Wrenches:
Combo 7/8/9/10/12/13/14/17/19/21/24mm (16/22mm?)
* Ratcheting? Combo 7/8/9/10/12/13/14/17/19/21/24mm (16/22mm?)

Socket set:
2x 3/8" drive
3/8" drive: 10/12/13/14/17/19/21/24mm (8/16/22mm?) 6 point not 12
3/8" extensions: 1"/3"/6"x2/10"/3" wobble/u-joint/8 in. flex extension
spark plug socket

1/4" drive 7/8/9/10mm
1/4 extensions: 1"/3"/6"/3" wobble/u-joint

1/2 drive
1/2 breaker bar
1/2 to 3/8 adapter
1/2 extensions: 1"/3"/10"/3" wobble/u-joint
24mm/35mm for CV nuts IIRC
deep 21mm for lug nuts

Pliers:
Needle Nose Pliers
2x Channel Locks
Vice grips - not knock offs
Pry bar for axles (stock tire iron?)

Screwdrivers:
2x Flat #2
Flat #1
Phillips #2

Electrical:
Multimeter
DIY trouble Light
~25ft 10 gauge electrical wire
elec tape
wire nuts
Splices
M/F Spade connectors?
Shrink wrap
Crimp / Cut / Strip tool
Dikes

Misc:
flashlight
lighter
Code Reader / Scan Gauge etc...
Jumper cables
Tow rope
Tire repair kit including valve tool
Air compressor
* Spanner Wrenches for BP-51 Shocks

PPE:
2 pair gloves
Safety glasses

MacGuyver:
Swiss army knife / Gerber
Duct tape
Gaffers Tape
Bailing wire
ClampTite Wire Clamp Tool
Para cord
HeavyDuty Aluminum foil
Hi-temp JB weld (fresh)
Fuel Tank and Radiator Repair Kit (Permatex 09116 or similar)

Some advice I came across during my research was from "geohil" on T4r.org
"DON'T KEEP IT IN YOUR TRUCK UNLESS YOU ARE WHEELING
Just had my lock punched out and someone stole my go-box including my MV-90 compressor, shackles, snatch blocks, torque wrenches, hand tools, deflators, and so much more. State Farm denied my claim stating that non-OEM tools and specialized equipment is not covered under Comprehensive."​

List should get you started. Items with * or ? may or may not apply to your rig. Add or delete based on your rig and skills.

Boort

Reactions: SoCalFJZ80

Lazlo

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Aspen, CO
Member #

Wow amazing list- thanks and sorry about your theft- that sucks but the advice is well taken

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
You will do good with Proffitt. There's a few coolant hoses that are a must, head gasket in the mid 200k range. Best mod I did to mine was the part time kit. I will be working on re-gearing the transfer case for high and low range after I get my new motor put together. The 80's section on mud will keep you busy for a long time.

Welcome to the world of 80's.

Scott

Reactions: Boort

Stoked

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Celina, Tx
Member #

Will check out Ih8mud.com thanks
Next to the FSM, this is the best advice. IH8MUD is the forum for Land Cruisers, but a word of warning...do an exhaustive search before you ask any questions. Any problem that you may have has likely been covered at some point, and some people there get annoyed by people that just ask questions without doing any research first. That being said, it's a tight community with a lot of good members that help out others when needed. You'll learn everything you ever wanted to know about your LC.

Also, don't be afraid to get your hands dirty working on your LC. Keep the FSM with you on trips, along with your tools. It's getting harder and harder to find mechanics at dealers or auto repair shops that know anything about your truck.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Congrats on your new 80. They are great, simple machines to work on and drive. I had zero mechanical skills a few years ago and learned how to wrench on my FZJ80. Joining ih8mud and grabbing an FSM really will get you very far for most maintenance and fixes that come your way.

I carry this toolset in my truck always, along with 3 boxes of parts and fluids. I have yet to not have the right tool for the job and constantly help others in need with it too. 07579683-B2A7-4821-8E1F-4F92CE28D087.jpeg1/2” torque wrench
24” breaker bar (not shown)
Pickle fork
Hacksaw
Channel locks
Ball peen hammer
Sledgehammer
Prybar
Tire iron (not shown)
Standard and deep sockets (metric and standard)
Bag of end and gear wrenches
3/8 and 1/4 ratchet wrenches
Multiple socket extensions and swivels
Various 1/4” bits (Torx, hex, screw)
54mm hub tool
Various screwdrivers, pliers, visegrips, adj wrenches
Brass drift
Rat tail file
Small files
Wire cutters stripper crimper
Pipe wrench
Box cutter