RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
These campsites you reported on. Are they large enough for a few rigs?

Are you thinking about putting together a guided group ride this early spring? I'd love to join you if you do.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
They are big enough. Some are set up for horse trailers. They have a 10 person limit though.

I am not planning on planning one but if I was I the area I'd join in.

Atleast not right now. I got too much going on to organize a meetup

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
We got out again today. Found out my set in road I planned to use is closed.

All good. I balked at going down it as it looked like a private drive. When we did get into the Forest down the main road some. We came to the sign that showed it was closed. So glad I didn't drive up a private lane.

Screenshot_20200301-191212_US Topo Maps.jpg

More info to come as I get a chance to relax.

Reactions: riss800

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@LGlx we got onto Longwell Draft road.

My fullfigured truck fit just fine...but the over growth was into the windows. LONGwell Draft rd is just LONG. LOL.

Flat hollow Rd and Strong mountain Rd which lead to it on the west side are actually more interesting. But they were all fun.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I was very surprised to see the cabin on Longwell Draft Rd. Only one time did my mirror actually hit the trunk of a tree. We were going slow enough that it just let us go by.

Everything was easy to navigate, and I could see plenty of places to squeeze 2 vehicles... But Poe Paddy Dr was a bit nerve racking after it became no maintenance. Wasn't quite ready for that bouncy ride. I didn't see anywhere 2 rigs could pass...and the drop off was pretty steep. Just glad no one was coming up...I recommend going up vs coming down.

My son did want to go back...but there was no road that led there from the side we were on today. They stopped at the creek. The one road didn't even go that far as it is permanently gated now too.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I was very surprised to see the cabin on Longwell Draft Rd. Only one time did my mirror actually hit the trunk of a tree. We were going slow enough that it just let us go by.

Everything was easy to navigate, and I could see plenty of places to squeeze 2 vehicles... But Poe Paddy Dr was a bit nerve racking after it became no maintenance. Wasn't quite ready for that bouncy ride. I didn't see anywhere 2 rigs could pass...and the drop off was pretty steep. Just glad no one was coming up...I recommend going up vs coming down.

My son did want to go back...but there was no road that led there from the side we were on today. They stopped at the creek. The one road didn't even go that far as it is permanently gated now too.
Yeah Poe Paddy Drive and Strong Mountain are just a sea of rocks. I don’t have any concerns going down Poe Paddy but my preferred route direction takes you up the mountain. The Subaru is a mountain goat haha.

Looking at your route today you drove right by Henstep and then turned around. Intentional? You‘re in for a treat when you start hitting the more interesting trails.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Looking at your route today you drove right by Henstep and then turned around. Intentional?
Yes. We were looking at the campsites #69 and #70. I saw Henstep...but it went in the opposite direction we were planning to go. We got a text message that we were needed home by 1730...so we had to shorten the trip.

We had planned to see campsites #22 to 29 and 30 and 32, but when we headed up cherry run we saw mingle Rd had been permanently gated and then we just decided to get out of the forest and head home.

I enjoyed the drive over much better than the highway drive home...but we ran out of time.

riss800

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reinholds, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Risser
Member #

I saw a video on Henstep Valley Trail and it looked like a lot of fun but might be tight for the full sized dodge. Also watched a video for Hill Top Trail that one look fun as well. I am hoping to get out and try both of these at some point this spring. Please report on the conditions if you travel them or better yet hit me up before you go and maybe I will be able to joint you!

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@riss800 I am booked up the next couple weekends. But, if you do decide to come to the Forest for sure let me know.

I wish we could have went through Henstep. Good thing I had the map with me. Cause it starts in the direction I was going, but then curves and continues the opposite way.

My son was very upset we couldn't go up Poe Paddy. He really enjoyed that one going down...I just felt like I was being shaken apart.

I was thinking of spending the next trip out in Moshannan Forest but may just go back to Bald Eagle.

Now that I know for sure how easy it is to get there through ROTHROCK...I enjoy the trip much more. I hate the highway.

riss800

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reinholds, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Risser
Member #

@DevilDodge I will definitely let you know when I go. It is always nice to enjoy the ride with someone.

When I did Duncan Trail I felt the same way, all shaken up form the rocks. It was my first time out and didn't air down at all because I don't have a compressor to air up. Still, it was a lot of fun!

Reactions: DevilDodge

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I saw a video on Henstep Valley Trail and it looked like a lot of fun but might be tight for the full sized dodge. Also watched a video for Hill Top Trail that one look fun as well. I am hoping to get out and try both of these at some point this spring. Please report on the conditions if you travel them or better yet hit me up before you go and maybe I will be able to joint you!
Henstep is only really tight at the west end. You can still fit whatever you want through there as long as you're ok with stripes... Not unlike the rest of BESF.

I wish we could have went through Henstep. Good thing I had the map with me. Cause it starts in the direction I was going, but then curves and continues the opposite way.

My son was very upset we couldn't go up Poe Paddy. He really enjoyed that one going down...I just felt like I was being shaken apart.
Thats definitely the issue with Henstep. It goes off on its own and can't be tied in well with any of my routes there.

Also if you think Poe Paddy Drive is bad I can tell you that one of the more difficult trails there is worse.. much worse haha. Paddy Mountain is part of the route/loop I have shared on here and is a great trail.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
We were gonna hit paddy mountain but everything that day was headed in the wrong direction.

Probably had I used 4lo and 1st gear poe paddy probably would have been more enjoyable. It wasn't difficult at all. Just annoying as all I did was apply more brake.

It sure was bumpy...but I also was at towing air pressures...that may have heightened the bounce.

My son absolutely loved hearing the branches slap and screech on the truck.

He wants to go up Poe paddy. I think that will be much more enjoyable.

Stone mountain was great. But then we were going uphill. Longwell draft was definitely overgrown...but only one spot were my mirror actually touched a trunk of a tree...and it was only about 3 or 4 inches round.

I really want to get out, camp and hike. We only saw one deer, one squirrel and 2 crows. I know there is more wildlife there.

Now I just got to get the few things I need to do, done, so we can go explore.

OverlandZJ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Bristol,Pa
First Name
John
Last Name
Bellerby
Glad to see they are opening up some camping in Pa, I have an email in to a friend in a State Forest asking if they are included in this opening. She hopes so but has not yet received confirmation or procedures as of last Friday.

I was thinking about running to BESP but I imagine it's going to be a popular spot till the state reopens and people get back to work.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I never really finished my trial report. And of course now it is not fresh in my head, and my phone will not let me access the sd card.

I made notes of the campsites. But I scribbled it all and didnt make it real legible. So now I got to guess at what I wrote.

So, I am going to plan a trip back, with camping as the destination and exploring more roads as the challenge.