Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Nice trip and you have chosen some worthwhile tracks to explore. The Paddy Mountain Rd is well worth checking out. We were up there a few weeks ago, I didn't have my chain saw with me but be sure to carry a good axe. This time of year, quite a few trees may be felled over the trail. I usually have my chainsaw with us. Be prepared for lots of pinstriping. Have fun !!

Reactions: DevilDodge

RoadRunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mid-Atlantic region
First Name
Greg
Last Name
G.
Member #

You’ll seem to know these parks well enough. Anyone planning a long weekend trip in the next few months? I’m new to wheeling, and need to learn a bit, but looks like good times.

LGlx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NJ
Member #

You’ll seem to know these parks well enough. Anyone planning a long weekend trip in the next few months? I’m new to wheeling, and need to learn a bit, but looks like good times.
I'm planning the last weekend in Feb. I'm new as well and venturing to the unknown. Armed with map and feedback from generous folks here.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
The gamelands open up from September to February. They make for some good shakedown trips and just some quality time out doors. We try to put tires in the mud every weekend.

I am hoping to possibly scout some campsites at BESF this weekend...if the family and time cooperate.

I hope to hit Rothrock next weekend...see my thread for it for updates.

We enjoy planning trips...so will gladly help in any way I can.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I GOT TIRES IN MUD/SNOW AT BESF.

More to come, when I get a chance. But here is a trail shot of the Forest roads and the opening to Duncan trail.

@LGlx Duncan trail looks like a lot of fun.

20200201_172624.jpg20200201_172647.jpg

riss800

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reinholds, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Risser
Member #

I have traveled Negro Hollow Rd and it was a fun trail. It was a little tight for my 4Runner but definitely manageable. Ithaca Raines a lot the week before I traveled it so there were lots of puddles and a mud hole to get through. Didn’t have any trouble but was glad to have a friend along just in case. Might have turned around if I was solo. Dunken trail is on my list to do as well in Bald Eagle SF but haven’t gotten to it yet. When I did my last trip up there I started at RT 80 and worked my way south. IMG_1996.JPG IMG_1989.JPG

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@riss800 is that Negro hollow rd in the pics?

It seems that coming into the Mill Run rd exit of 80 and then heading south is probably the easiest and quickest way into the forest for someone who is coming to the area via interstate 80.

There is gas to be had on 80 or in the little towns on route 192.

Forest Hill has gas on route 192 which is a straight shot too on the trails I took today...if one would find they need gas but missed the opportunity on 80.

riss800

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reinholds, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Risser
Member #

@riss800 is that Negro hollow rd in the pics?

It seems that coming into the Mill Run rd exit of 80 and then heading south is probably the easiest and quickest way into the forest for someone who is coming to the area via interstate 80.

There is gas to be had on 80 or in the little towns on route 192.

Forest Hill has gas on route 192 which is a straight shot too on the trails I took today...if one would find they need gas but missed the opportunity on 80.
The first picture is Negro Hollow Rd the second is a different road at an overlook we stopped at. I need to look over my gpx track from that day to see where the second picture was. I will share the rout I took once I get them out of Gaia. Here is another from Negro Hollow of my friends Jeep. IMG_1979.JPG

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Trip report. Objective was to show the family what a motorized campsite was. We were in Lewisburg, PA at the childrens museum. I set the GPS to go to the town of Forest Hill. Then slowly made my way on Rt 192 until I saw Cooper Mill Rd.

Note: there are a few private lanes from Forest Hill to the forest road that look like the road we wanted.

This is the route we took. Note: I remembered to pick a color that didn't match anything on the map. I tried not to go right over the roads so they could still be seen.
20200201_203706.jpg

Even though the local area has no snow on any paved roads and all the yards on the way were bare...the forest roads do have about 2 inches of snow/slush/ice. And they were muddy aswell.20200201_164307.jpg20200201_163837.jpg

We checked out the first vista20200201_164050.jpg

Reactions: riss800

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Then onto the next intersection and onto Duncan Trail. This is the only drivable trail we saw. It looks like fun...but it was 1738 when we got there and darkness was setting in. The family wanted to get back to the pool at the hotel, so for another day.
20200201_172115.jpg20200201_172624.jpg

Looks awesome though.
20200201_172647.jpg

Reactions: riss800