DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
My favorite section so far is the southwest corner. Entry/ exit being either 322 by Sand MT. Road or Red Ridge Road down by Reed's Gap State Park.

Note: as stated previous...the road at Locke Mills, Knob Ridge Road is gated and no longer a viable set in road.

An alternate set in road is Decker Hollow road that forms an intersection with 322 and is the cross over from Rothrock State Park. This will actually be how I begin my adventure in Bald Eagle.

Reactions: riss800 and Hewptee

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Are you able to export and share tracks?
Thanks
I use the free version of US Topo Maps. I can only store 3 tracks. I then screen shot them and delete.

I use the paper map as my guide...the app just tracks were I am for thread purposes.

Sorry, I guess I need to buy the pro version to help out more. I can give any knowledge I do know. Hoping to broaden that knowledge in a few weekends

Reactions: Hewptee

LGlx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NJ
Member #

Anyone familiar with BASF site 34? I'm taking my camper trailer there (booked). How many cars can fit and is it accessible by travel trailer?

Hewptee

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

I've been through a really tight trail in bald eagle. Accidentally ripped a piece of trim off my first gen tundra. I really need to do some more exploring next time I'm out that way.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Anyone familiar with BASF site 34? I'm taking my camper trailer there (booked). How many cars can fit and is it accessible by travel trailer?
So I got my purple lizard maps and was checking out some of the stuff that was being asked.

It seems you picked a good location for the trip we had discussed before. You are right by Negro Hollow Trail. You are also near route 45 were you will be able to get supplies/fuel if needed.

I am sure (although I haven't seen site #34)20200217_161903.jpg the site will look similar to this site (site #3 at Rothrock)

You will be just a short Drive north to Duncan Trail.

Paddy Mountain Rd is right there and Henstep is just further south.

If you dont make it down to Longwell draft road you could make that your next trip and camp in the south.

Can not wait to hear your trip report @LGlx

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Gonna be in the forest in the A.M.

We will be in our Jeep Cherokee. Not hitting anything crazy. Just gonna show the wife our favorite site and see some we haven't seen yet.

Anxious to get there.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Had a great time in the forest.

We got up and had breakfast at Reed's Gap State Park. Very nice picnic area and campground. If you are taking children, they will enjoy the play park here.

We then headed down the road. We skipped the way we went in last time and headed further down to set it. Got to see an awesome vista. It wasn't named and wasn't pointed out on the Purple Lizard Map. 20200621_115603_HDR.jpg

We went this way to see some of the motorized campsites we hadn't seen and to show my wife the ones we decided where our favorite. I don't have my map with me...but I believe it was site 64 and 63 we came to first. They were both of interest to us...the one being occupied and the other not.

This is our favorite one so far...i believe site 61
20200621_130610.jpg

Reactions: riss800

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
My wife was driving, and the Cherokee is new to us...just got it this past week.

I navigated her down a drivable trail. She doesn't do bad at all...i was just a wee bit nervous about the large rocks...she didn't care lol20200621_140110.jpg20200621_142022.jpg20200621_141059.jpg20200621_141215.jpg20200621_141233.jpg20200621_141715.jpg

Reactions: riss800

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Just out of curiosity. On average when do the Temps start to dip into the low 50s in this area? Personally I don't mind cold tent camping but the Mrs. isn't a fan :tearsofjoy:

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
The great thing about Central Pa is you can have all 4 seasons in one day

Last year...we had barely any HOT days. This year we have had too much heat.

At any point we could get into the 50s. This year I am going to guess very few of them, if any in August.

September then temps usually drop. Last year we got our summer weather in October.

I am hoping for the 60s this weekend at night. But, it is still hot right now.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Also there is a pretty large elevation change. In October you could be fairly warm at 1000ft and have snow at 2200 ft.

August will probably see lows stay in the 60s. September we could have flurries and October could be a layer of snow.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
The great thing about Central Pa is you can have all 4 seasons in one day

Last year...we had barely any HOT days. This year we have had too much heat.

At any point we could get into the 50s. This year I am going to guess very few of them, if any in August.

September then temps usually drop. Last year we got our summer weather in October.

I am hoping for the 60s this weekend at night. But, it is still hot right now.

Understood so pretty much like here in Ohio just a little colder haha. Yes it's still very hot here looks like we'll get some relief starting this weekend followed by some rainy days. If this is the case then may need to get out there late Sept/Oct... as long as I'm allowed that is. Thought I saw Ohio is now a state where we need to self-quarantine for 14 days in some other states. Not sure if PA has adopted that policy or not. I'm trying to keep up for planning purposes but I can't keep up haha.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
looks like we will be spending the night in Bald Eagle. Rothrock is full. The sites I requested in bald eagle were also taken.

I just sent back with the 3 available I would like. Should know in the morning which one it will be.