Bald Eagle State Forest in a RAM or 2

• HTML tutorial

LGlx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NJ
Member #

@LGlx you are definitely planning on exploring the forest.

Longwell Draft is in the southern section, Negro Hollow is central and Duncan is northern.

That ought to be a nice trip.

Any reasons you picked those roads/trails?

Are they from the blog?
Combination of different blogs and I'm interconnecting them together using dirt or off-road as much as possible. I may be too full of myself thinking its doable, it looks small on paper!! LOL. Can this be a single day trip or I'm getting ahead of myself b/c its got big coverage?

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
They are close enough. Just spread out in the forest. You can definitely do it in a day I would think...and there are campsites by each if the trails, if you would decide to stay.

I see the one trail says it takes alot of water from runoff. Will want to keep an eye on that too...if we continue with this mild winter not so much though.

They look like some awesome trails. They are now on my list.

LGlx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NJ
Member #

They are close enough. Just spread out in the forest. You can definitely do it in a day I would think...and there are campsites by each if the trails, if you would decide to stay.

I see the one trail says it takes alot of water from runoff. Will want to keep an eye on that too...if we continue with this mild winter not so much though.

They look like some awesome trails. They are now on my list.
I'll share/post my planned route when completed.

LGlx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NJ
Member #

Combination of different blogs and I'm interconnecting them together using dirt or off-road as much as possible. I may be too full of myself thinking its doable, it looks small on paper!! LOL. Can this be a single day trip or I'm getting ahead of myself b/c its got big coverage?
Which camp site(s)# are to avoid? Here's my planned route. Start at Millheim (gas up and supplies) and head south, west, north then back west. The end probably north where I'm planning to set up.

IMG_4476.jpeg baseIMG_4477.jpeg

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I have no 1st hand experience yet with the campsites. I have read a few threads on this and other sites that have a decent description of them.

My first scouting trip into the area will be to see the campsites. My issue is, I can not decide if I will be taking our travel trailer or doing just the truck. Not sure my wife is completely sold on going back to roughing it yet. So I have that dilemma too.

But, my son and I are ready to rough it again.

Your trail plan looks good.

How are you coming to the area ie. Interstate 80, route 45 etc.?

Is there a reason you are driving clean to Millheim to start?

Are you set on an area to camp?

Does your route have to flow those directions or could it reverse etc. ?

Just asking cause I am just curious how you decided on the plan.

Thanks for sharing. I can not wait to get out there and have tires in the mid experience to help others with their questions.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@LGlx are those the Purple lizard maps?

Right now I just have the ones from the Forest service.. so I have to look at one with the sites and one with the more detailed map.

I was hoping to have the full set by now, but I haven't ordered them yet.

I love reading maps as much as I love camping and offroading.

Clifford Zwiercan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wernersville, PA
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Zwiercan
Member #

Campsite 30, 21 and 2 are nice. Room for multiple vehicles. 61 is ok if tent camping. Ive been going through and marking sites as to if they are large enough for camping in vehicle, cell service etc. when I get a chance I’ll try and post them up for you. I’m not great at this forum stuff though. I have them marked on Gaia. I’ll check to see if I have them as public. Negro Hollow trail is tight if I remember. Expect pinstripes.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Negro Hollow trail is tight if I remember. Expect pinstripes.
Obviusly, I am driving a full figured truck. But, I have so many scratches and dings on it that pinstripes do not matter.

Is it tight, because of branches and bush... or because it has actual obstacles? (Obstacle being a large tree, rocks, or the roll of the hill)

I can handle scratches...but I need to fit lol.

Thanks for offering info about the sites.

Much appreciated.

LGlx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NJ
Member #

I have no 1st hand experience yet with the campsites. I have read a few threads on this and other sites that have a decent description of them.

My first scouting trip into the area will be to see the campsites. My issue is, I can not decide if I will be taking our travel trailer or doing just the truck. Not sure my wife is completely sold on going back to roughing it yet. So I have that dilemma too.

I'll likely take my travel trailer, arrive late nite, setup base then head out in the morning. No keen on lugging RTT all over.

But, my son and I are ready to rough it again.

Your trail plan looks good.

How are you coming to the area ie. Interstate 80, route 45 etc.?

I'm coming from 80, from Jersey.

Is there a reason you are driving clean to Millheim to start?

From what I've heard this is the only major town in the area, so resupplying here. I could be wrong.

Are you set on an area to camp?

Likely north, near 80 so heading home should be easy and fast. I have not reserved any yet, but the larger ones definitely since I have a trailer and probably 3 more rigs with me. They will be in RTT. If larger I'll request for group camp site.

Does your route have to flow those directions or could it reverse etc. ?

The direction just put us closer to camp at the end of the trip. Everyone tired and less driving back to camp. I also read the view climbing up the dam is majestic. Lot So, you are starting way below then climbing up overlooking your route. But, I'm not set on direction, we're flexible.

Just asking cause I am just curious how you decided on the plan.

Thanks for sharing. I can not wait to get out there and have tires in the mid experience to help others with their questions.

LGlx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NJ
Member #

@LGlx are those the Purple lizard maps?

Right now I just have the ones from the Forest service.. so I have to look at one with the sites and one with the more detailed map.

I was hoping to have the full set by now, but I haven't ordered them yet.

I love reading maps as much as I love camping and offroading.
Yes Purple Lizard. It has way more detail.

LGlx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NJ
Member #

Campsite 30, 21 and 2 are nice. Room for multiple vehicles. 61 is ok if tent camping. Ive been going through and marking sites as to if they are large enough for camping in vehicle, cell service etc. when I get a chance I’ll try and post them up for you. I’m not great at this forum stuff though. I have them marked on Gaia. I’ll check to see if I have them as public. Negro Hollow trail is tight if I remember. Expect pinstripes.
Much appreciated Clifford! Thank you in advance!!

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Awesome. Makes complete sense.

Millheim seems to get mentioned alot in the blogs I have read.

I was thinking the trip could start at 80 and go south...but I see your reasoning now. That makes perfect sense.

Will be interested to hear about getting your trailer into sites. Thanks for sharing @LGlx

Clifford Zwiercan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wernersville, PA
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Zwiercan
Member #

The forest map is ok but if you’re planning on camping in vehicle i I would contact them first. Some of the sites have boulders blocking the camp area. They have a spot to park a vehicle but not level to camp in one. Once you reserve a site it is not recommended to switch. I found this out the hard way the other weekend.

Clifford Zwiercan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wernersville, PA
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Zwiercan
Member #

Obviusly, I am driving a full figured truck. But, I have so many scratches and dings on it that pinstripes do not matter.

Is it tight, because of branches and bush... or because it has actual obstacles? (Obstacle being a large tree, rocks, or the roll of the hill)

I can handle scratches...but I need to fit lol.

Thanks for offering info about the sites.

Much appreciated.
Tight because of brush if I remember. It’s been a couple years since I was on it. I think most trails can be done in full size. Even ones that dead end have had a decent turn around. Keep in mind I have done them in a jkur and jlur so might be different for a full size. If I head out this weekend I’ll hit negro hollow again to check it out.