Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yes it does!

Avalanche Forecasts - Know Before You Go with the New Avalanche Forecast Layer - Gaia GPS

Plan Your Winter Adventure with the Snowfall Forecast Overlay

and general weather forecasts
Thanks @1Louder,

Now after looking at all of
These new layers being added, why can’t they port in information from ARPS-IS? Or even ARPS.fi?

One last real question though... is there a Linux version of GAIA? I want to run GAIA in off line mode off of a Linux built Tablet built specifically for SAR and ARES back country response...

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Thanks @1Louder,

These new layers being added, why can’t they port in information from ARPS-IS? Or even ARPS.fi?

One last real question though... is there a Linux version of GAIA? I want to run GAIA in off line mode off of a Linux built Tablet built specifically for SAR and ARES back country response...
Percentage of people that use all the map layers.... a lot
Aprs.... a little. I also wrote about the issues with incorporating APRS a while back.

That’s the reality.

No Linux version. Why not use an Android tablet?

Last edited:

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Thanks @1Louder,

@M Rose have you tried running the Android app under something like Anbox? Not sure which variety of linux you are running on a table but would be interested to see if that works.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hi guys,

I’m a Gaia user since the past 6 months but new to the thread.
I read the thread but didn’t find a proper answer to my question/issue.

I really find the file/folder management terrible both from the app and website. It’s very confusing to me and I can’t find a way to move in an out tracks out a folder etc.

What do you guys think about it? Any tips? Thanks!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Hi guys,

I’m a Gaia user since the past 6 months but new to the thread.
I read the thread but didn’t find a proper answer to my question/issue.

I really find the file/folder management terrible both from the app and website. It’s very confusing to me and I can’t find a way to move in an out tracks out a folder etc.

What do you guys think about it? Any tips? Thanks!
Android or iOS. I find folder management easier in the app. Here’s the sequence for iOS. Tap on the track or waypoint, tap (I) icon, tap Choose Parent Folder or tap on the top right of the screen to create a new folder.

Web is similar in that anything you are looking at you select File to folder. Go to help.gaiagps.com for better tutorials.
0FD74069-F23D-4A42-ABC4-1F2744E21855.png
E9F74E41-4C3B-4C4B-ACD3-B8BDD60B163B.png
D561026D-F7A0-46B1-8730-62FEAB8E9B6F.png
C48DF1CC-371D-4C73-8811-DDFA4F9E946A.png

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Percentage of people that use all the map layers.... a lot
Aprs.... a little. I also wrote about the issues with incorporating APRS a while back.

That’s the reality.

No Linux version. Why not use an Android tablet?
Android doesn’t Have WinLink RMS, ARES report Forms, and most importantly doesn’t support my TNC...
The simple thing to do would be get a Windows Tablet... but no fun in that... and then again, it wouldn’t be an all in one unit any more...
@1Louder , maybe instead of putting ham down so much, you should research It a little more. Not saying get your license, but actually read up on what people are using Ham for. SAR, RACE, ARES, SkyWarn, ect... ect...

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Android doesn’t Have WinLink RMS, ARES report Forms, and most importantly doesn’t support my TNC...
The simple thing to do would be get a Windows Tablet... but no fun in that... and then again, it wouldn’t be an all in one unit any more...
@1Louder , maybe instead of putting ham down so much, you should research It a little more. Not saying get your license, but actually read up on what people are using Ham for. SAR, RACE, ARES, SkyWarn, ect... ect...
I own 4 ham radios and I am licensed. Also on the left it shows my callsign.

There is a difference between "putting something down" and the realities of app development. One of my radios has APRS and I have most of the APRS related apps. I have also played with TNC devices, turning handheld radios into APRS stations with the help of cables and an app, etc. That still doesn't mean the audience is large enough for an app developer like Gaia to pursue integrating it into its app. Again, I mentioned the challenges in a previous post. I am not trying to be a jerk but trying to convey the reality of what you are asking for. There are some not well documented work arounds to get APRS to work in apps. Easier on Android vs iOS. I hate to make concrete statements but unless Apple changes something in its code this is never going to happen. The Gaia user base (I am not talking about global generic devices) is much larger in iOS than Android. Because of this most new features in Gaia GPS start in iOS and then move to Android. It is also much harder for them to find good Android programmers.

The same applies to a Linux tablet. How many people use that vs an iPad or Android tablet. I am not saying they don't exist or serve a purpose but that is a very niche market. Where you want see broad based app development. Custom application yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Well I ⎌think I just found my APRS nav software... bye bye GAIA... HELLO CalTopo...
If it works for you great. It won't work in iOS, it might work in Android, no Linux app and glancing over the documentation it appears the APRS functionality only works with the desktop version (Browser interface). The InReach component looks interesting but seems to have the same restriction that also requires a professional InReach Plan (more expensive). Start a new thread on this in the communication section of OB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs and M Rose

Cav 3724

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Coronado California
First Name
Steve
Last Name
C
First off, I want to express that I am going to ask questions based on my ignorance of Gaia and all of theses other apps. I am probably one of the least tech savvy people around. All of the nav acronyms gives me a headache. Soooooooo, here we go. I have been using good old gps devices for almost 30 years, garmin, Magellin, etc.. I have narrowed my device of choice to Garmin brand. I use them in my job and in private life, mostly off road, but on road as well. My go to devices are the old 276 c and the newer 650 Montana. Neither device has ever let me down. I have never gotten lost, have always planned and executed routes into and out of places most people don't go, with theses devices. They take up very little space are easy to read and understand, if you know how to read contour lines, very seldom have I ever lost signal. So I am not trying to be a smart ass here, but what advantages do theses new apps provide? I don't understand this layer stuff and having multiple apps on multiple screens . If I need a sat phone interface, I pick up my sat phone and talk into it. If I need to use my vhf radio I pick it up and talk into it. Keep in mind that I started off using map and compass and I have a very good sense of dead reckoning. Still use them today. Please help me here.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
First off, I want to express that I am going to ask questions based on my ignorance of Gaia and all of theses other apps. I am probably one of the least tech savvy people around. All of the nav acronyms gives me a headache. Soooooooo, here we go. I have been using good old gps devices for almost 30 years, garmin, Magellin, etc.. I have narrowed my device of choice to Garmin brand. I use them in my job and in private life, mostly off road, but on road as well. My go to devices are the old 276 c and the newer 650 Montana. Neither device has ever let me down. I have never gotten lost, have always planned and executed routes into and out of places most people don't go, with theses devices. They take up very little space are easy to read and understand, if you know how to read contour lines, very seldom have I ever lost signal. So I am not trying to be a smart ass here, but what advantages do theses new apps provide? I don't understand this layer stuff and having multiple apps on multiple screens . If I need a sat phone interface, I pick up my sat phone and talk into it. If I need to use my vhf radio I pick it up and talk into it. Keep in mind that I started off using map and compass and I have a very good sense of dead reckoning. Still use them today. Please help me here.
The Garmin devices are great, but for off grid exploration you need to use Base Camp on a desktop... and port the maps to the device with an SD Card. Nav Software like GAIA, Backcountry Navigator, OneX Off-Road, CalTopo, for instance you can use your desktop, or your phone/tablet to plan your routes... on desktop you then save to the “cloud” and download the maps into your phone/tablet and run in the app. Or you can plan right on your tablet/phone and save the map data. Map layers are different kinds of maps... so you can use several topographical map sources in combination with weather maps, road atlases, and even satellite imagery. None of the navigation software allows for satellite calls... you need a separate device.
APRS is used by hams to track other ham operators via radio signal and satellite without internet connections.

Watch a couple of YouTube videos on how to plan a trip using your 650 Montana VS using a navigational software.

In a couple of weeks I will be giving a review of CalTopo next to OneX, Backcountry Navigator, and GAIA. Showing each of their strengths and weaknesses. In the free version I feel all of them are lacking, in the paid versions however is where each app really shows its strength.

F8OO

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toronto, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
F
Member #

Im hoping the new OB1 app maps section for trails can replace the Gaiagps so I never have to learn (or pay for) Gaia haha

Bela

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Győr, Hungary
First Name
Bela
Last Name
Nagy
Member #

Hi everyone!
A question about Gaia gps. It has been the case that someone loses their position even online. It puts my position miles away. Even if I turn on the location, nothing changes if I turn on the track recording, my location is also elsewhere, but the recording starts on a good track.
If I start a less detailed also full version program like HERE or Sygic that I use on road it indicates where I am but the path is not where I am going.
I welcome any ideas.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Hi everyone!
A question about Gaia gps. It has been the case that someone loses their position even online. It puts my position miles away. Even if I turn on the location, nothing changes if I turn on the track recording, my location is also elsewhere, but the recording starts on a good track.
If I start a less detailed also full version program like HERE or Sygic that I use on road it indicates where I am but the path is not where I am going.
I welcome any ideas.
What device are you using with the apps?

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I'm making the move to Gaia and found out my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1. is not Gaia compatible

Will a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" Wi-Fi Tablet 128GB work ? Costco has them at a good price 0f $219.00

Thanks

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I'm making the move to Gaia and found out my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1. is not Gaia compatible

Will a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" Wi-Fi Tablet 128GB work ? Costco has them at a good price 0f $219.00

Thanks
Have you tried it? I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 and it works, albeit somewhat slowly due to the older processor and lower memory. With that being said, I just ordered a Samsung Galaxy S6 256GB to help speed things up. I see no reason why the Tab A would not work with Gaia. May not be as quick as the higher priced models but it should be better than your older S2.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Thanks . When I tried to D/L the app on my Tab2 the app had a notice " your device is not compatible with this version" with no option to D/L

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

Thanks . When I tried to D/L the app on my Tab2 the app had a notice " your device is not compatible with this version" with no option to D/L
When I go into the Play Store I do see the message "This app may not be optimized for your device" but it didn't prevent me from installing it. You could try the steps in the video I linked below but if you're not comfortable with that then definitely move to a new tablet.

Reactions: Downs and mep1811

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

I went with a used. iPad from gazelle 10.5 inch screen 512 g. Can easily hold all the maps I need