Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

So I just purchase my premium membership and I try to make routes on my tabet but when I select guide me its a straight line and if I choose driving directions it puts me into google maps. what am I doing wrong? sorry newb at gaia gps

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
So I just purchase my premium membership and I try to make routes on my tabet but when I select guide me its a straight line and if I choose driving directions it puts me into google maps. what am I doing wrong? sorry newb at gaia gps
There are multiple routing options in the app. Bird/straightine, hike, bicycle and vehicle I believe. Gaia support site can provide better instructions. Sometimes you have to play with the different options to get Gaia to route the forest road or trail.

I think the routing data is based on OpenStreets data and not the layer you are using however I would again read up what the official Gaia GPS Support site says.

58222D75-3ED4-4A5B-BCC5-9B9177C127FF.png

Last edited:

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

There are multiple routing options in the app. Bird/straightine, hike, bicycle and vehicle I believe. Gaia support site can provide better instructions. Sometimes you have to play with the different options to get Gaia to route the forest road or trail.

I think the routing data is based on OpenStreets data and not the layer you are using however I would again read up what the official Gaia GPS Support site says.

View attachment 133980
I understand that there are different modes but it still doesn't work how I need it, even after selecting the driving mode the gps still puts a straight line. I will keep trying

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I sometimes have this problem when using GAIA on my computer. I typically have to move the waypoint closer to the previous waypoint for it to map the road.

Reactions: Retinens803

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I sometimes have this problem when using GAIA on my computer. I typically have to move the waypoint closer to the previous waypoint for it to map the road.
This is a valid point. It depends on the distance you are trying to automatically route. Start with smaller segments if a longer one can't be created.

Reactions: DadJokes

HuddExpo

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PSF
As a long time user of Gaia, I never use it for turn by turn navigation. That is what Google, Waze, Apple Maps are for, especially when there is cell service. I treat Gaia more like mapping software. It shows you were you are and you can easily zoom in/out and see where you are going. Setting routes, waypoints, tracks are all easy, but there are so many forest roads, etc, that I would never expect it to give good driving directions.

Reactions: Bama_Kiwi

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

As a long time user of Gaia, I never use it for turn by turn navigation. That is what Google, Waze, Apple Maps are for, especially when there is cell service. I treat Gaia more like mapping software. It shows you were you are and you can easily zoom in/out and see where you are going. Setting routes, waypoints, tracks are all easy, but there are so many forest roads, etc, that I would never expect it to give good driving directions.
I was thinking it was a turn by turn since so many people used it. If its jut a map I have paper maps for that I don't think I needed gaia app then

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I was hoping to be out places and find a new trail on the tablet and it can lead me there but a friend of mines says you have to get on a desktop computer and build your own route and then sync it to the tablet and its still not a turn by turn. I think I should have considered the garmin overland gps

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I was hoping to be out places and find a new trail on the tablet and it can lead me there but a friend of mines says you have to get on a desktop computer and build your own route and then sync it to the tablet and its still not a turn by turn. I think I should have considered the garmin overland gps
I haven’t used a desktop pc, or a laptop for that matter, for at least 3 years. I do everything from my iPad, iPhone, or my Samsung galaxy Tab. With that being said. I can build routs, make dedicated turn by turn maps, and so much more with GAIA. I made a backpacking trip in GAIA last summer and ran in next to my Garmin Device using my iPhone 6s without cell service. It worked better than the Garmin. I was able to log elevation drop, time traveled, time stopped, miles traveled, even feet traveled. At first I was kind of disappointed in the app as well coming from Backcountry Navigator Pro. But since I switched to mostly apple products I could no longer use BCNP. Now after almost a year of using GAIA, I don’t use anything but for all my nav needs.

Reactions: tundra21

HuddExpo

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PSF
I haven’t used a desktop pc, or a laptop for that matter, for at least 3 years. I do everything from my iPad, iPhone, or my Samsung galaxy Tab. With that being said. I can build routs, make dedicated turn by turn maps, and so much more with GAIA. I made a backpacking trip in GAIA last summer and ran in next to my Garmin Device using my iPhone 6s without cell service. It worked better than the Garmin. I was able to log elevation drop, time traveled, time stopped, miles traveled, even feet traveled. At first I was kind of disappointed in the app as well coming from Backcountry Navigator Pro. But since I switched to mostly apple products I could no longer use BCNP. Now after almost a year of using GAIA, I don’t use anything but for all my nav needs.
^this^ I feel the same way. The learning curve can feel pretty steep, but once you are there, Gaia is really nice. For me, it really comes down to some pre-planning and getting the right maps/areas downloaded. After that it's great.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I actually went back to an older Garmin unit for this exact reason which came in handy when we were out over the holidays and realized we weren't going to make our planned destination and we were in an area with no cell service.

Gaia does many things well but it does require pre-planning in the sense that you need to make sure you have all the maps downloaded prior to your trip. I found creating a route that actually follows the trail painful on the tablet (Android) but not difficult on the computer and it will snap to the roads as opposed to giving you a straight line.

I don't have any experience with the Garmin Overlander but I could see where the incorporation of the iOverlander app combined with the auto-routing abilities of the Garmin would make it easier for on the fly routing changes. Granted, there's a cost involved for that convenience, but when isn't there? LOL

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

So maybe this app really isn't for me, I was playing with the app before paying for the subscription and I was thinking that once I pay for the subscription that it would be what I needed.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So maybe this app really isn't for me, I was playing with the app before paying for the subscription and I was thinking that once I pay for the subscription that it would be what I needed.
If you are using an android device, check out Backcountry Navigator... it has a demo version, which is ok, but really opens up once you buy it. It might be more on line with what you are wanting to do, it still doesn’t give you turn by turn directions per say, but I’m very unsure of any device or app that has detailed FS Maps with contoures and such that also offer turn by turn navigation That exists at this time.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I have used it for turn by turn without a problem, it just takes some pre-plannin and deciding how you want to get there.
Luckily I have dual monitors at work so I typically have Gaia on one and Google maps or MVUM on the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: tundra21

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
You can request a refund from Gaia and I am sure you will receive one. They are very customer service oriented. Just be warned I don't think the $700 Garmin device gives turn by turn. I have no interest in it so I am no expert on the product but many initial reviews were not favorable.

As others have stated I don't need turn by turn on trails either. Having a track someone else has recorded is nice and make life the easiest but creating waypoints at key turns is just as easy.

Dseck63

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

I have a bit more of an understanding now myself after reading all of this. Not having a turn by turn capability though is one thing, however the issue I'm having is while I'm in the learning and testing phases at moment I can see my speed/distance are not being logged by the icon indicating where I'm at is. I have an ipad 4 mini with gps/wifi capability but no cell service and tried this on multiple maps I downloaded with the same result. Is there something I'm not highlighting or clicking before driving that I should? The time is being logged from the time I click record but that's about it.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have a bit more of an understanding now myself after reading all of this. Not having a turn by turn capability though is one thing, however the issue I'm having is while I'm in the learning and testing phases at moment I can see my speed/distance are not being logged by the icon indicating where I'm at is. I have an ipad 4 mini with gps/wifi capability but no cell service and tried this on multiple maps I downloaded with the same result. Is there something I'm not highlighting or clicking before driving that I should? The time is being logged from the time I click record but that's about it.
Are you using the free trial, or the paid version? This seams like you are running the trial version. Do you see your marker move as you are driving, or is it stuck somewhere on the map?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
If you don’t have a 3G/LTE iPad you don’t have a built in GPS. If you have a 3G/LTE iPad but have not paid to have mobile service you do have the GPS. There is no such thing as a WiFi/GPS iPad.

Does the marker move with you when driving or do you have to manually move the map? If you are manually moving the map you don’t have GPS or it is not working properly.Thus you wouldn’t get any speed or distance indications.

Reactions: Turnerxc