AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have no expertise of that area. I just zoomed over to FL and played with a few map layers and didn’t experience any issues.

AE937716-2808-4B69-902F-0E29B86EC7C3.png

2DBE6950-959B-470F-A731-0B86D3736A04.png

Gaia Sat and Topo

24A888CA-AFA5-4A54-BB7F-DB1CA8BE3195.png
Open streets

You can always try to clear the map cache in Gaia and then start over. If the issue persists contact support.

Reactions: MiamiC70

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Is there a map for BLM and camping? I have premium.
BLM would be the Public Land Layer

USFS Recreation Sites will show some camping areas but an app like Ultimate Campground might be a better source for a variety of spots. UCG shows public and private sites.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

BLM would be the Public Land Layer

USFS Recreation Sites will show some camping areas but an app like Ultimate Campground might be a better source for a variety of spots. UCG shows public and private sites.
Awesome, thanks! I got it and it has tons of places I was looking for.

Reactions: 1Louder

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I just downloaded gaia on my ipad. That program looks great. I have been using BCN on an old android device. But I think im cool with moving to gaia. One question is it worth the money to pay for the premium over the normal pay subscription?

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

I just downloaded gaia on my ipad. That program looks great. I have been using BCN on an old android device. But I think im cool with moving to gaia. One question is it worth the money to pay for the premium over the normal pay subscription?
I think it is.

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
My free trial of Premium recently expired. Anybody know of a good discount / promo to renew for 1 year? Sometimes I hit dry spells and and don't go camping very often so don't want to do the 5-year thing.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
My free trial of Premium recently expired. Anybody know of a good discount / promo to renew for 1 year? Sometimes I hit dry spells and and don't go camping very often so don't want to do the 5-year thing.
Gaiagps.com/4XOA Can save you a few bucks.

WU7X

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Avery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WU7X
I spent a quick evening this past week creating four routes to the fly fishing areas wifey and I plan on spending a LOT of time visiting in 2020. Each route is 200+ miles long. It took two days to download the Shaded Relief (US), Landscape, US Topo, andMapbox Streets HD maps for the routes onto my iPad. I included waypoints for all USFS campgrounds on the routes plus gas station points. Time well spent!

In 2019 we did over 12,000 miles towing our overland camper around western US and Canada. Next year we are becoming much more focused and sticking within WA, MT, and especially ID. Having my mapping ready early gives me the time to zero in on other aspects of preparing for a good life wasted.

HuddExpo

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PSF
FYI - I just got my invitation to help beta test GaiaGPS for Carplay. Loaded it today and it seems to be working relatively well.

I love Gaia, and am super happy with this turn of events. I will post back more here and I encourage anyone else beta testing to do the same.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

FYI - I just got my invitation to help beta test GaiaGPS for Carplay. Loaded it today and it seems to be working relatively well.

I love Gaia, and am super happy with this turn of events. I will post back more here and I encourage anyone else beta testing to do the same.
I'd love to hear more about this. Are there plans for it to be added to Android Auto in the future?

Reactions: HuddExpo

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

How about some screen shots, too?

Reactions: HuddExpo

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I will be using it heavily over the next week, so I’ll report back with pics and info.
I have the beta as well. I will be testing it as I can. It won't be offroad though. I have Apple Carplay in my dads Honda Fit. I have reached out to the development team to ask a few questions. Right now it looks like it mirrors what is on your iPhone. Any interaction with Gaia GPS needs to take place on the phone though.

In the screenshots I am being guided, straight line, to a waypoint.

1E4AAF7F-9818-46AB-B3E1-F0B8D6707F31.jpeg

E5828494-F4EC-4A21-83BA-4A6C4A7AE0FD.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DanW

HuddExpo

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PSF
I have the beta as well. I will be testing it as I can. It won't be offroad though. I have Apple Carplay in my dads Honda Fit. I have reached out to the development team to ask a few questions. Right now it looks like it mirrors what is on your iPhone. Any interaction with Gaia GPS needs to take place on the phone though.

In the screenshots I am being guided, straight line, to a waypoint.

View attachment 127728

View attachment 127730
That sounds normal to me, I have been using Gaia for years and it has never done turn by turn. I haven't seen anything unusual using the beta yet, but I will be off road tomorrow through the weekend. So that will give me a much better idea of how it compares to using it stand alone.

HuddExpo

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PSF
That sounds normal to me, I have been using Gaia for years and it has never done turn by turn. I haven't seen anything unusual using the beta yet, but I will be off road tomorrow through the weekend. So that will give me a much better idea of how it compares to using it stand alone.
They have free and not free...its on their site. It is a very useful mapping software/app. It is NOT a navigation app. No turn-by-turn, searching for places etc. Its just very good for accurate mapping, plotting and navigation. Personally I pay for the service so I have some more features that were important to my use. Very large variety of map overlays too.

Reactions: DanW and 1Louder