First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Hey folks,

Thanks to others who have stepped up to answer questions. My life has gotten really busy lately and I not on any forums as much as I would like to be. If you ever have a pressing need for an answer to a question either email tech support or join the community forums for Gaia GPS at help.gaiagps.com.

The new version for Android was recently released and an update to iOS should be coming out soon with much improved search capabilities.

Thanks,
Chris

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
@1Louder Do you know if Gaia works with Android 4.4 Kit Kat? I am thinking of getting an older tablet or offroading and that is the version it has.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I was going to recommend a Nexus 7 2013 from eBay, but they're still going for what I paid for it new, so there may be better options in the same price range, but I don't know one way or the other. Despite being 5 years old, it's a solid, fast device and the free Nexus Root Toolkit lets you update them to Marshmallow, unlock the bootloader, root them, back up and restore, etc.

*edit*

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trailbehind.android.gaiagps.pro&hl=en

Additional information
Updated December 21, 2017
Installs 50,000 - 100,000
Current Version 7.0.3
Requires Android 4.1 and up

Reactions: ArmyofMike

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Thank you Kevin! I appreciate your feedback,
Mike

I was going to recommend a Nexus 7 2013 from eBay, but they're still going for what I paid for it new, so there may be better options in the same price range, but I don't know one way or the other. Despite being 5 years old, it's a solid, fast device and the free Nexus Root Toolkit lets you update them to Marshmallow, unlock the bootloader, root them, back up and restore, etc.

*edit*

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trailbehind.android.gaiagps.pro&hl=en

Additional information
Updated December 21, 2017
Installs 50,000 - 100,000
Current Version 7.0.3
Requires Android 4.1 and up

Reactions: Kevin108

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
@1Louder Do you know if Gaia works with Android 4.4 Kit Kat? I am thinking of getting an older tablet or offroading and that is the version it has.
I can tell you from another thread on another forum that Android 4.4 is as old as you want to go version wise. I'm running 4.1.2 and it kept crashing, but they were able to correct the issue and the latest update is now working. Considering Android is up to version 8+ I would try to get a tablet running a more current version.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
My personal opinion is buy the latest and greatest or close to it because a year later it is "old." I have an old Nexus 7 and it is worthless. Nothing runs right and I downgraded to an older OS on it years ago. I also have a 3 year old Android phone, don't remember the OS version, and it is very slow. Apps in the play store will list the oldest version of the Android OS allowed. How well that actually works will vary.

Again this is not specific to anything related to Gaia GPS. I will say that lots of folks hope to buy a cheap 8-16gb Android tablet and add a 128gb sd card. It just doesn't seem to work well. Especially if you buy a cheap SLOW sd card. I wish it would work well. Others can chime in and state whether they have had issues or not with that kind of setup.

I run Apple stuff. It's expensive but my user experience across all apps has just been better in iOS vs Android. That is my personal opinion. Others love the Android ecosystem but it has never been for me. I have tried and just always gone back to iOS.

- Chris

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
My personal opinion is buy the latest and greatest or close to it because a year later it is "old." I have an old Nexus 7 and it is worthless. Nothing runs right and I downgraded to an older OS on it years ago. I also have a 3 year old Android phone, don't remember the OS version, and it is very slow. Apps in the play store will list the oldest version of the Android OS allowed. How well that actually works will vary.

Again this is not specific to anything related to Gaia GPS. I will say that lots of folks hope to buy a cheap 8-16gb Android tablet and add a 128gb sd card. It just doesn't seem to work well. Especially if you buy a cheap SLOW sd card. I wish it would work well. Others can chime in and state whether they have had issues or not with that kind of setup.

I run Apple stuff. It's expensive but my user experience across all apps has just been better in iOS vs Android. That is my personal opinion. Others love the Android ecosystem but it has never been for me. I have tried and just always gone back to iOS.

- Chris
I hear what you are saying but my experience with Apple OS is exactly the opposite of what you describe versus Android. However, both OS's basically force you to upgrade after a couple years as the operating systems grow. Apple is pretty blatant about the planned obsolescence of their devices, Android a bit less so.

All good though, we all like what we like and I say whatever works for you, go with it! Also agreed you get what you pay for on any OS. If I determine that Gaia GPS is going to be my go-to Nav option, then I will invest in a more current Android tablet.

Most of all, I am impressed with Gaia's support in resolving issues, something that seems in short supply in general these days from many vendors.

Reactions: 1Louder

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I find Apple products to be locked down and tedious. Android is able to be opened and malleable. Root the device, install Titanium Backup, use batch atctions to delete all the garbage they cram on it, install Ad Away and whatever else you like... It's great. You just have to start with a decent device to begin with. @1Louder, install http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/ and spend some time with that Nexus 7. I think you'll be quite happy with the results.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I find Apple products to be locked down and tedious. Android is able to be opened and malleable. Root the device, install Titanium Backup, use batch atctions to delete all the garbage they cram on it, install Ad Away and whatever else you like... It's great. You just have to start with a decent device to begin with. @1Louder, install http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/ and spend some time with that Nexus 7. I think you'll be quite happy with the results.

While I am more than capable doing what you suggest most are not. Much like when folks used to jailbrake their iOS devices and not understand the risks associated with that.

As mentioned and a topic that can be beat to death the good news is folks have choices. After 20+ years in the IT industry I have chosen iOS. The day that the Android experience is better than ios for me I would be happy to switch.

Reactions: Road and AAONMS

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

While I am more than capable doing what you suggest most are not. Much like when folks used to jailbrake their iOS devices and not understand the risks associated with that.

As mentioned and a topic that can be beat to death the good news is folks have choices. After 20+ years in the IT industry, I have chosen iOS. The day that the Android experience is better than ios for me I would be happy to switch.
Ditto,

I have spent most of my teenage and adult life in this industry too. I'd always been a windows guy for the longest time. And I love tinkering around with my Arch Linux box here at the house. Setup servers regularly. Programmed several a Pi devices.

But my goto has been OSX and iOS since 2012. I made the switch and I get it. "Stuff " just works, and I don't have to fiddle or waste time. I'm most productive in that environment. And I never worry about the "oops, I fragged my device accidentally, time to start all over and reinstall everything".

Interfaces have been consistent and intuitive for years. No "SUPRISE" no more start bar or "SUPRISE" we re-arranged everything because we thought up a whole new UX concept. Cough Cough Meta. (Although metadesign was an improvement)

Productivity trumps in my book tinkerville.

Reactions: Road and 1Louder

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

Yup.. Sure can! That's the idea behind it [emoji6]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I have had Gaia for a little while and have been trying to figure out how this is done. Do I have to save these points as waypoints? What I'm trying to do is save a campsite I've been to and keep it on my basemap or in a folder so it can work as an overlay.....I don't mind if it stays on the basemap, but it may get crowded and I'd rather toggle between custom overlays......but I don't see a way to create custom overlays either.

What is the best way to do this? I thought it would be a bit more intuitive but I'm just not seeing how this is done...other than with waypoints.

JOSX2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mebane, NC
Member #

That's exactly how you do it. You use waypoints to mark any kind of POI you want to save. If you want to toggle campsite waypoints on and off, create a folder and put those waypoints in that folder. Then just turn that folder view on and off as needed.

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

That's exactly how you do it. You use waypoints to mark any kind of POI you want to save. If you want to toggle campsite waypoints on and off, create a folder and put those waypoints in that folder. Then just turn that folder view on and off as needed.

Ok, thanks for the confirmation. I didn’t want to start into this project and find out I could have saved myself 10,000 key strokes by doing it another way.

Traveler I

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I know there's an Android app for it, I've downloaded it and it's great. I'm looking for compatibility with Android Auto, in the same way the Waze app works with both.

So it will display on my car stereo screen when it loads AA. This way I can forego the usual separate tablet and bracket expense and loss of space.

Make sense?
Depending on what Android radio you have you can install the app on the radio itself. Something I have debated about for a long time but since I am so iOS heavy I have decided to stick with my mount setup. For me the radio would just be a back up device. I still like Gaia on a tablet so I can study things outside of the vehicle. There is a lengthy thread in the FJ Cruiser forums about Android radio setups and I am sure other places. These are not specific to Gaia though.

Reactions: 1000sAreSailing

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Update: Due to time constraints I am no longer going to be working for Gaia on a part-time basis. They are an great group of folks and I WILL still be supporting Gaia in forums and elsewhere as time permits.

When time permits I will also update and write some new blog posts on 4xoa.com. Life has just been busy and I needed to step back from my side gig with Gaia.

Here's a link to save 20% off of your Gaia GPS subscription. A nice amount of savings after any promo you have has run out.

So keep the questions coming and thanks again to those that have stepped in to help with questions when I have not been available.

Last edited:

Little Big Bear

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hillsboro, Oregon
Member #

Thanks for the info and the discount link. I just added Gaia to Ipad. So far so good but still learning the ins and out of the system. I have yet to read this entire feed but what I have seen has certainly got me on a good path.