First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Hey everyone,

Just a quick update. Gaia has now added Private Land data. This is a popular request from hunters. You need to have a Premium/Pro subscription to see the overlay.

Keep the questions coming and I will answer them as best I can.

Also, here's a great tutorial on YouTube from a avid Gaia GPS user,

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Reactions: Ditcherman

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

Used this for the first time on our trip we just got back from. Didn't do anything fancy with it, just imported my gpx file and drove on. I like it so far. I'll watch the video when I have some more time, thanks for linking it.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I posted this on the Gaia vs onXmaps thread but figured I should also make a note here.

Just a heads up everyone. Gaia GPS added Private Land data to the app a couple of weeks ago. Here's the blost post: https://blog.gaiagps.com/access-private-land-data-for-the-us-with-a-premium-membership/

There is also a new post on using the app in general for hunting:
https://blog.gaiagps.com/how-to-go-hunting-with-gaia-gps/

Thanks!
Chris
One thing worth mentioning is how much ram all these layers use. On a trip this weekend I added the private land layer and my cheap tablet couldn't keep up and wanted to lock up. I simply turned off that layer and all was good. I'm running a $59 Insignia (Best Buy house brand) tablet, so it does not have gobs of power, but it's worth mentioning if you are out on the trail and have issues with your tablet locking up to figure out if there is a layer(s) you can turn off.

Reactions: 1Louder

PilotPete

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Puyallup, WA USA
Member #

Does anyone here have experience using Topo Maps+? I have been running it all summer and love it. I am wondering what kinds of differences there are between it and Gaia....

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Voodoo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salt Lake City, Utah
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Rambo
Member #

Service Branch
uS Navy
Hi, I'm considering Gaia. Does it have a map layer that includes BLM Land? Thanks!

Matt

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
I'm using a Galaxy 3 tablet in the truck, I don't want to leave my expensive IPad in there full time,plus the IPad is not cell connected
Does Gaia work well with android?

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I'm using a Galaxy 3 tablet in the truck, I don't want to leave my expensive IPad in there full time,plus the IPad is not cell connected
Does Gaia work well with android?
I've been using an Insignia (best buy house brand, android based) tablet and Gaia works just fine for me.

Reactions: jgomes
T

The Raven

OK, been using Gaia Pro for 3 months travel.

- Great system works well and provides some sweet information.
- Nat Geo map server is SLOW many times I have sat for ages while it downloaded
- Routing map download is useless unless you have fast internet or are only staying in a 30mi area...I’m covering hundreds of miles.
- have found simply viewing the maps I will need at the zoom I need works best as it caches the info instead of downloading areas I don’t. Doing so allows me to snag the openmaps as well.

JOSX2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mebane, NC
Member #

@1Louder ....could you check out this post over on expeditionportal please: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/174179-GAIA-won-t-delete-saved-maps
It's about Gaia not deleting downloaded maps off of an android tablet...I've been experiencing the same exact issue as well. Let 1 map deletion fun for the past 7hrs, then i rebooted the tablet & deleted all the maps via the online portal at gaiagps.com. Gonna see if the sync action will remove them from the tablet.

Extremely annoying...I should be able to delete a map from the tablet itself...and in no faster time than it takes to delete a 1-2GB video file off of it.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
@1Louder ....could you check out this post over on expeditionportal please: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/174179-GAIA-won-t-delete-saved-maps
It's about Gaia not deleting downloaded maps off of an android tablet...I've been experiencing the same exact issue as well. Let 1 map deletion fun for the past 7hrs, then i rebooted the tablet & deleted all the maps via the online portal at gaiagps.com. Gonna see if the sync action will remove them from the tablet.

Extremely annoying...I should be able to delete a map from the tablet itself...and in no faster time than it takes to delete a 1-2GB video file off of it.
I would submit a support ticket. When you do I would also state whether you have items stored on a SD card and if you do what is the exact card you have. One common issue with Android apps in general has been slow cheap SD cards trying to be use with apps. I personally don't provide Android support. Other Gaia team members do. If you submit a ticket in the next 24 hours or so be patient because the team was on a retreat this weekend and will be working through the more technical tickets as fast as they can.

A new version for Android is on the horizon but I can't provide any specifics.

Thanks,
Chris

JOSX2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mebane, NC
Member #

sounds good...thanks! Didn't know if ya had heard about this kinda problem or not before, so figured I'd ask since you're in-the-loop w/ Gaia ;-)

JOSX2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mebane, NC
Member #

@1Louder .... this is probably a feature request that I should submit, but figured I'd ask if you know if it's in the works, or maybe could put a word in for it too?

for the downloaded maps (putting my previous issue aside ;-)....having a way to choose if you'd like the maps to download to whatever device is being used.

Case-in-point:
My samsung tablet has a 64 gig card in it...storage is no issue, so I'll download whatever I can. The download data for those maps get sync'd to my account online. But....my cell phone is very limited on space. As much as I'd like to install gaia on it & sync'd to my account, I can't afford to have it start downloading all the maps as it'd run out of space really fast.

Being able to either deny all maps from downloading, or selecting which map(s) I'd want to download, on the phone would be most beneficial. I'd like to have my waypoints, tracks, etc sync to my phone...but I don't want the maps as I use my tablet for that.

Robert Burk

Rank 0

Traveler I

Oregon
So rookie question. I have laptop that runs windows 10. I know I can run Gaia. I plan on using a Dual GPS receiver bluetooth to my lap top. Will I be able to use this offline and be tracked by the Dual GPS receiver?

JOSX2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mebane, NC
Member #

So rookie question. I have laptop that runs windows 10. I know I can run Gaia. I plan on using a Dual GPS receiver bluetooth to my lap top. Will I be able to use this offline and be tracked by the Dual GPS receiver?
Can't run Gaia on Windows 10. It's an Android/iPhone-only app.

What you're accessing in the laptop is just the "web portal" so-to-speak. It's not the app and doesn't have the real Gaia functions of the app

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: tritonl

JOSX2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mebane, NC
Member #

no prob ;-) i picked up a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A off Amazon or ebay for <$150 (maybe $130?).

Whichever route you go (Droid or i-thingy)....make sure it can take a high-speed memory card (i forget what the class # is for that), and pick one up too. 64GB or bigger at least. Maps use up some good storage when you download them for offline use (which you have to/should do since you can't rely on there being cell service wherever ya go). The more map areas you download, the more storage that gets used ;-)