Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

I was watching some videos where the guy was walking through a huge army surplus store in Idaho Falls . It got me to wondering if anyone has found good overlanding uses for surplus goodies ?
(Other than humvees and 5 ton military trucks )

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Griz

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I have a surplus water and gas can as well as two 20mm ammo cans. One of the ammo cans is the toolbox in my Xterra. I also use a few molle pouches on my EDC pack.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Depends on what you are looking for.

Next time I’m in one, Depending on price. I will get two of the old shelter halves (put together) they will make a great ground saver for a tent (made out of canvas). Also use for laying on the ground for field repairs on vehicle.

If you can find the old poncho liner..... grab it. An awesome blanket right there.

Reactions: Road and Old Griz

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Ohh yeah, ALOT of my gear is MILSURP. large ALICE pack without frame for 5$ is a makeshift trasharoo, Poncho liners (aka woobies) are phenominal for heat retention, but being light and able to pack very small. Ammo cans and other containers for storage, MREs for emergency rations, I have found first aid stuff at good deals (picked up a dozen israeli compression bandage for 20$ a while back). And now I am working (very slowly) on turning a german surplus shovel I have less than 2 dollars in into a murder spork. When its done I will post it in DIY section. Some awesome values if you don't mind being a little creative and repurposing gear.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
There is a lot of great surplus out there but you have to be really careful. A lot of surplus stores are filled with import knock offs these days.

Besides ammo cans I have a humvee succor jack that is awesome.

The sleep system and goretex ecwcs jacket are super bargains.

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
When I can find it. Surplus stuff is getting harder to come by in my area. There are deals to be had for sure, but some of the stuff is crazy expensive too.

Reactions: TerryD and Old Griz

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

All sorts of stuff in a good military surplus store can be used in camping and back country travel. In the past I've used good down-filled mummy sleeping bags, tents, tarps, a wide variety of ammo cans and other containers (for both cargo and liquids) and canteens, alpaca-lined deck jackets and other winter wear, folding shovels, hell, just all kinds of stuff.

All depends on what your local surplus store has. As already mentioned in this thread, sometimes the inventory is import knock-offs, though for the right price, even some of that is a decent value. I got some small molle bags I use on my bike that were knock-offs. Other times the store leans more towards patches and knives and small stuff.

One of the best surplus stores I've ever been in was in Toronto, but that was in the 70s; I'd be surprised if it was still there now. There's a great store in Lexington KY that I've thought about ordering from online: Army Surplus Warehouse, that has a huge inventory and is located in an old 5 story warehouse. I don't think all of it is showroom, though. I plan on stopping in there in person sometime.

I also like keepshooting.com for online shopping of military surplus items. They send me email deals every once in awhile, like this cool French Military Police Jacket. I might get one, not sure yet. I did get a nice new SP8 Survival Machete (gone up in price since I bought mine) and an awesome Cold Weather Fleece Jacket Gen III (I'll use it as a liner, is Polartec, only 24.95) from them. Both items were shipped quick and are of excellent quality.

A surplus store here in Maine has a cool old truck, Mercedes I think, but they won't sell it.

military-mog.png

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

All sorts of stuff in a good military surplus store can be used in camping and back country travel. In the past I've used good down-filled mummy sleeping bags, tents, tarps, a wide variety of ammo cans and other containers (for both cargo and liquids) and canteens, alpaca-lined deck jackets and other winter wear, folding shovels, hell, just all kinds of stuff.

All depends on what your local surplus store has. As already mentioned in this thread, sometimes the inventory is import knock-offs, though for the right price, even some of that is a decent value. I got some small molle bags I use on my bike that were knock-offs. Other times the store leans more towards patches and knives and small stuff.

One of the best surplus stores I've ever been in was in Toronto, but that was in the 70s; I'd be surprised if it was still there now. There's a great store in Lexington KY that I've thought about ordering from online: Army Surplus Warehouse, that has a huge inventory and is located in an old 5 story warehouse. I don't think all of it is showroom, though. I plan on stopping in there in person sometime.

I also like keepshooting.com for online shopping of military surplus items. They send me email deals every once in awhile, like this cool French Military Police Jacket. I might get one, not sure yet. I did get a nice new SP8 Survival Machete (gone up in price since I bought mine) and an awesome Cold Weather Fleece Jacket Gen III (I'll use it as a liner, is Polartec, only 24.95) from them. Both items were shipped quick and are of excellent quality.

A surplus store here in Maine has a cool old truck, Mercedes I think, but they won't sell it.

View attachment 52538
There is a great place here in Idaho for military vehicles, www.idahomotorpool.com for bigger stuff and one in Texas for cucvees and restorables. Www.vintagemilitarytrucks.com

Reactions: Hafaday and Road

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Dang..

While rummaging thru the closet. I found my old Night Desert cammies from the Gulf War. Only had them on my person a few times. Things still look good too.

Button in the old field jacket liner and was good to go.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

+1 on the sleep system. Love that thing. Also love my woobie (poncho liner). Ammo cans are good for storing spare fluids (oil, transmission, brake, etc), and tools. I have several boxes of chem lights that my old supply sgt gave me because they were expired. They still work just fine, several years after their date, and I keep a box in my go bag in my rig. Gore-tex parka is extremely handy here. E-tool lives in my rig full time.