Highliner

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Smith
You live in a beautiful part of the state. What are the overlanding opportunities around you? Are the places to get off the grid for extensive miles?

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello Arizona overlanders. I am new to the community and overlanding. Would love to meet up and do some overlanding, exploring, back road, dirt road drives in Arizona and surrounding states!

My truck is a '21 Toyota Tacoma 4x2. I am a little limited - but super excited to get into overlanding.
Hello Gina
Welcome to the Overland Bound community
My name is Rich I am your US Southwest member representative for Arizona
Here are some helpful links to get you started
U.S. SouthWest (AZ NM TX OK)
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-bound-routes-downloadable.29/?prefix_id=67
Map - Overland Bound
Welcome to Rally Point! - Overland Bound

SimplyLesa

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Witch Well, Arizona
First Name
Lesa
Last Name
NeSmith
Member #

New member fron NE Arizona, Apache County, Witch Well!
Striving for Keep it Simple and budget adventure - daily off road experience but beginner Overlander so probly not rock crawling!
I have camping space at the property

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Any suggestions on regular camp grounds near South Grand Canyon that I might be able to make reservations at this weekend coming up?

mmssierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sierra Vista, Arizona 85635, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Mims
Member #

Any suggestions on regular camp grounds near South Grand Canyon that I might be able to make reservations at this weekend coming up?
I checked two campgrounds, Desert View and Mather campgrounds through Recreation.gov and both appear to be booked. But, you may want to double check. Maybe someone will cancel or maybe I missed something.

Desert View campground is one I want to try. It looks like a cool spot.

You may also check Long Jim Loop Grand Canyon South and Grand Canyon Camper Village.

I know I probably was not too much help. It appears it is going to be another busy summer for the outdoors.

Last edited:

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I checked two campgrounds, Desert View and Mather campgrounds through Recreation.gov and both appear to be booked. But, you may want to double check. Maybe someone will cancel or maybe I missed something.

Desert View campground is one I want to try. It looks like a cool spot.

You may also check Long Jim Loop Grand Canyon South and Grand Canyon Camper Village.

I know I probably was not too much help. It appears it is going to be another busy summer for the outdoors.
Thank you. Yea it is a last minute trip my son and his family want to make.

Highliner

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Smith
Thank you. Yea it is a last minute trip my son and his family want to make.
Desert View is a beautiful camp ground w walk-to views of the canyon, but away from S Rim visitor area (pros and cons). Mather is nice too, and much bigger, so check for cancellations there.

Otherwise, there are a lot of great boondocking/off-grid options off of FR-302 from Tusayan to the East where it connects with FR-310. FR-310 comes out about 2 miles E of Grandview Point - so boondocking on FR-310 would actually be closer to S Rim visitor area than Desert View. FR-310 also connects to a wide network of roads with all kinds of options - most of which are pretty well maintained (ran a trip through there last year I need to post).

Reactions: mmssierra

mmssierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sierra Vista, Arizona 85635, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Mims
Member #

Desert View is a beautiful camp ground w walk-to views of the canyon, but away from S Rim visitor area (pros and cons). Mather is nice too, and much bigger, so check for cancellations there.

Otherwise, there are a lot of great boondocking/off-grid options off of FR-302 from Tusayan to the East where it connects with FR-310. FR-310 comes out about 2 miles E of Grandview Point - so boondocking on FR-310 would actually be closer to S Rim visitor area than Desert View. FR-310 also connects to a wide network of roads with all kinds of options - most of which are pretty well maintained (ran a trip through there last year I need to post).
Thanks for the off-grid options. Someday, I will take advantage of this information! :)

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Reactions: Brandt77