Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Hello, I joined this week and I am from Sierra Vista too!
We were down your way last weekend going over Montezuma's Pass. I love that area between Nogales and Sierra Vista. Next is to go more east from Sierra Vista to Douglas and hit those trails.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
We were down your way last weekend going over Montezuma's Pass. I love that area between Nogales and Sierra Vista. Next is to go more east from Sierra Vista to Douglas and hit those trails.
Yep! We camp and hunt all in the same area back there!

mmssierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sierra Vista, Arizona 85635, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Mims
Member #

Cool! Yes, I love that area too! I probably go up and over Montezuma's Pass 12 to 20 times a year. I use to live in that neighborhood near the east entrance to the park.

I did a portion of Geronimo Trail a few weeks ago. I will definitely explore the Perilla Mountains more. Have you been to the Dragoon mountains? There are a few fun places to visit there. Leslie Canyon nice to drive through. Then of course the Chiricahua Mountains are awesome too! However, I have not explored them much, yet. Adventure is necessary.

mmssierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
Mims
Member #

Yep! We camp and hunt all in the same area back there!
I do a lot of camping back there too. Did you know the forest service closed the road right before you get to Wakefield camp? I am not sure why they closed it, but it is a bummer. I have camped at Wakefield and further up the road towards the mine countless times over the last 30 years.

• Wow
Reactions: DaleRF

mmssierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
Mims
Member #

I forgot to mention that the Slaughter Ranch Museum is worth seeing. It is just off Geronimo Trail east of Douglas.

I want to do more exploring in Guadalupe Canyon and Sycamore Canyon.

Reactions: KenDF

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
I do a lot of camping back there too. Did you know the forest service closed the road right before you get to Wakefield camp? I am not sure why they closed it, but it is a bummer. I have camped at Wakefield and further up the road towards the mine countless times over the last 30 years.
WoW! No, I didn't know they closed it. I was hunting deer there in 2018 and parked there - skipped last year's hunting season due to shoulder surgery - but am planning on heading up there this season...if it's open. But, it's easy enough to park and hunt in other acreage, so not too big of a deal. A lot of space over there...fortunately.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Cool! Yes, I love that area too! I probably go up and over Montezuma's Pass 12 to 20 times a year. I use to live in that neighborhood near the east entrance to the park.

I did a portion of Geronimo Trail a few weeks ago. I will definitely explore the Perilla Mountains more. Have you been to the Dragoon mountains? There are a few fun places to visit there. Leslie Canyon nice to drive through. Then of course the Chiricahua Mountains are awesome too! However, I have not explored them much, yet. Adventure is necessary.
I want to do all of those areas that you mentioned so that I can map them out on my Garmin. Starting in August we will probably go down that way once if not twice a month to hit those trails.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Thanks everyone so far just been checking out the area... doing some Recon up in Payson, Apache Trail and Trails around Queen Valley.
Those are GREAT places to start! Be sure to check out Hannagan Meadow - 9,000+ feet - great area!

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

I will have to check that out I want to check out MT Montana. I tried to last weekend but got stopped by a few closed trails and got me a little distracted on taking other trails we found on the Garmin.

I am very new to this kind of wheeling grew up in the Northern Woods of Minnesota ,just retired from the navy and we settled where my wife is from. She grew up in Scottsdale

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
I will have to check that out I want to check out MT Montana. I tried to last weekend but got stopped by a few closed trails and got me a little distracted on taking other trails we found on the Garmin.

I am very new to this kind of wheeling grew up in the Northern Woods of Minnesota ,just retired from the navy and we settled where my wife is from. She grew up in Scottsdale
Thank you for your Service. I'm retired Army. Feels great, doesn't it!?! :grinning:

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

Thank you for your Service. I'm retired Army. Feels great, doesn't it!?! :grinning:

Yes it does. I am still technically on still on leave till the 31 of July. Just in joying doing family time in the rig exploring. I love to go back up to Payson but with the Fire that will have to wait. But really digging the Superstition Area since we live off the 60

Reactions: DaleRF

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Yes it does. I am still technically on still on leave till the 31 of July. Just in joying doing family time in the rig exploring. I love to go back up to Payson but with the Fire that will have to wait. But really digging the Superstition Area since we live off the 60
Yep. There are so many great areas right here in Arizona. Love it!

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
I posted a thread about mid week goofing around if any Az folks are interested