Launch Member

Member I

Laughlin, NV, USA
First Name
Beau
Last Name
Rogers
Member #

I lived in Bullhead City, but yesterday I moved across the Colorado to Laughlin, Nevada. I recently put a rooftop tent on my Jeep and am wanting to do some weekend overlanding in Arizona this year. I teach at a community college and can typically sneak away on late Friday mornings. I'm also wanting to set up a caravan for the Mohave Road during Presidents Day Weekend. Let me know if any of you are interested.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
I lived in Bullhead City, but yesterday I moved across the Colorado to Laughlin, Nevada. I recently put a rooftop tent on my Jeep and am wanting to do some weekend overlanding in Arizona this year. I teach at a community college and can typically sneak away on late Friday mornings. I'm also wanting to set up a caravan for the Mohave Road during Presidents Day Weekend. Let me know if any of you are interested.
I would be interested in the Mohave road trip, I will have to arrange the time off but will let you know as we get closer to that weekend. Safe to assume the weekend prior correct?

John Hallett

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hallett
Hello All! New to the forums, but not new to the outdoors. I am a native from Mesa and wife is native from Gilbert. But born in Phoenix because Gilbert didn't have a hospital. Currently live in Gilbert helping with the wife's Dad @ Gilbert and Elliot. Our home for the last 20 years is in Litchfield Park. And we have a family place in Pine.

Currently own a 2006 TJ Wrangler and we are slowly upgrading our camping gear to be able to fit it in the back of the Jeep.

Has anyone done the Peace Trail? Its on my bucket list now.

Reactions: DaleRF

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Hello All! New to the forums, but not new to the outdoors. I am a native from Mesa and wife is native from Gilbert. But born in Phoenix because Gilbert didn't have a hospital. Currently live in Gilbert helping with the wife's Dad @ Gilbert and Elliot. Our home for the last 20 years is in Litchfield Park. And we have a family place in Pine.

Currently own a 2006 TJ Wrangler and we are slowly upgrading our camping gear to be able to fit it in the back of the Jeep.

Has anyone done the Peace Trail? Its on my bucket list now.
Hello and welcome John! I'm down in Sierra Vista. Haven't done the Peace Trail...rig's to large (see my Avatar), Cummins 3500 w/Arctic Fox 990. I've seen video of the Peace Trail...spots appear to want smaller/narrower vehicles.

John Hallett

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hallett
Hello and welcome John! I'm down in Sierra Vista. Haven't done the Peace Trail...rig's to large (see my Avatar), Cummins 3500 w/Arctic Fox 990. I've seen video of the Peace Trail...spots appear to want smaller/narrower vehicles.
Thanks Dale! I love that area down there. So freaking beautiful. Miller Wilderness to Gardner Canyon area is amazing. And anyplace around Empire Ranch is breathtaking.

Reactions: DaleRF

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Thanks Dale! I love that area down there. So freaking beautiful. Miller Wilderness to Gardner Canyon area is amazing. And anyplace around Empire Ranch is breathtaking.
Yes! You know the area don't you! We Love it! ...and, I grew up here, so I'm biased!

Larry Sawyer

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Hey all. I've been lurking on this forum for years, just waiting until I had a vehicle I could overland with. I just got a 2017 Lexus GX 460 and I'm looking for good day road trips to get on some trails. What is the best way to find good off road trails in the northern part of the state? I am in Surprise AZ, so getting out of the heat on the weekends is the goal, and exploring some cool trails and spots is what we are hoping for. I picked up the GX outside of L.A. last week and we did Big Bear Lake over the weekend. We hit a steep and very rutted fire road, and that was a lot of fun. Looking for other stuff locally.

Thanks!

RubyCan

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Surprise, AZ, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Todd
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NB7EL
Hey all,
I'm in the northwest valley near Surprise. It seems like the majority are in the east valley but I'm always game for a meet up for day trips or an overnight. Still waiting for my RTT to come in though. Happy wheeling!
-TJ
We’re in Surprise, near Bell and Cotton.

John Hallett

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hallett
Hey all. I've been lurking on this forum for years, just waiting until I had a vehicle I could overland with. I just got a 2017 Lexus GX 460 and I'm looking for good day road trips to get on some trails. What is the best way to find good off road trails in the northern part of the state? I am in Surprise AZ, so getting out of the heat on the weekends is the goal, and exploring some cool trails and spots is what we are hoping for. I picked up the GX outside of L.A. last week and we did Big Bear Lake over the weekend. We hit a steep and very rutted fire road, and that was a lot of fun. Looking for other stuff locally.

Thanks!
Hi Larry! If you love getting outdoors you will really have a great time in the Lexus
Trails Off Road is a great resource. If you are looking for a nice day trip head up to the rim and enjoy Clover Springs.

Larry Sawyer

Rank II

Enthusiast I

We’re in Surprise, near Bell and Cotton.
I'm off Cactus and Reems, we are practically neighbors! It would be cool to get together at some point, maybe when things cool off a bit. In the meantime I am planning my lift/wheel/tire part of the build I want to do on my GX. Are there others on the West side of town or in the valley in general? I would figure there would be a big Overland community around PHX.

Reactions: Squatchsequoia

Larry Sawyer

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Hi Larry! If you love getting outdoors you will really have a great time in the Lexus
Trails Off Road is a great resource. If you are looking for a nice day trip head up to the rim and enjoy Clover Springs.

Thanks for that. I was using the AllTrails app, but I'll have to check out that site! Thanks a ton for the tip! What do you guys use for on trail navigation? Again the AllTrails app allows you to download the trail and you can use that, but I know there are other methods. What do you guys tend to use?

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)

Thanks!
Anywhere east of the valley along the Mogollon Rim. Heber, Greer, Alpine. Definitely need to go to Hannagan Meadow...search for that in Googlemaps and you'll see it. 9,000+ feet elevation. It's where we go to escape the summer hi temps.

Reactions: MuleMite

John Hallett

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hallett
Thanks for that. I was using the AllTrails app, but I'll have to check out that site! Thanks a ton for the tip! What do you guys use for on trail navigation? Again the AllTrails app allows you to download the trail and you can use that, but I know there are other methods. What do you guys tend to use?
I use Trails Off Road and Gaia GPS for out of state or places in state that I have heard about. Otherwise there are some pretty good books to be had at AZ Hiking Shack and REI

Reactions: freak4life