Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Comer
Member #

Any interest in a meetup on a Saturday afternoon into evening with possible overnight camp? I’m looking to set one up in early November, somewhere in the valley, maybe at one of the local parks. Anyone can come out for the day (might be a Park day fee), or spend the night (there would be limited camp spots, $12-$18 per rig includes day fee).

The idea would be, you bring your rig and setup. We would have a tour going to each rig and the owner would give a tour of the setup, talk about what they like, don’t like, things like that. Have a short Q@A then move to the next rig. After the tour of all the rigs you can go back and ask more in-depth questions.

For this to work we would need people to want to show there rigs and answer questions. It would be best to have a mix of rigs, RTT, sleep in, RTT on trailer, sleep in trailer (teardrop or squaredrop).

Let me know what you think, also if you would just be out for the day or camp, and if you would want to show your rig.

Todd

I would definitely be open to something like this. WOuld it be possible to do something more National Forest related vs a designated camping area? Just much more a fan of dispersed type vs campground style. I know I know, picky picky. Id have a 2015 JKUR and Turtleback Getaway.

Im always up for a weekend out in the trees!

Reactions: AZ Trooper

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
I would definitely be open to something like this. WOuld it be possible to do something more National Forest related vs a designated camping area? Just much more a fan of dispersed type vs campground style. I know I know, picky picky. Id have a 2015 JKUR and Turtleback Getaway.

There's a Herd Gathering the weekend of 08 - 11 Nov in Sedona. If it's where I think it's going to be it's a SWEET spot. Here's a pic from just a few weeks ago.

Attachments

Last edited:

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
That would be outstanding sir, thanks for the invite. Let me know when you roll back in.
Check out this event. Turtleback trailers owners get together and camp out. It's called a Herd Gathering (Herd of Turtles...). The next one is 08 -11 Nov up in Sedona. You don't have to have a trailer - everyone is welcome! It would be a great opportunity for you to meet one of the owners of the company see the trailers in their natural element. Honestly, anyone and everyone are welcome to attend!

Jeep jeeep

Rank I

Contributor III

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
S
Check out this event. Turtleback trailers owners get together and camp out. It's called a Herd Gathering (Herd of Turtles...). The next one is 08 -11 Nov up in Sedona. You don't have to have a trailer - everyone is welcome! It would be a great opportunity for you to meet one of the owners of the company see the trailers in their natural element. Honestly, anyone and everyone are welcome to attend!

My schedule will allow us to catch a couple of days, thanks for the lead

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Do you have any place in mind?

We hardly never stay in campgrounds preferring dispersed. But for something like this it would be helpful to be in a campground. What happens if we pick a place in the Nat Forest and we show up and there is someone or a group in the spot? Then we need a plan B site and probably a C site too. Then we need to let everyone coming know we had to switch spots. I’ve had a few people say they would like something closer to the valley so they could just come out for the night, or get there late and spend the night.

The problem with a campground there is money involved $XX paid up front depending how many people come. I have no idea how many will show up and I don’t want to be on the hook for the money.

I’m open to ideas, if anyone is going to be at the meetup on Thursday night grab me and let me know your thoughts. Of message me here.

Todd

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
Do you have any place in mind?

We hardly never stay in campgrounds preferring dispersed. But for something like this it would be helpful to be in a campground. What happens if we pick a place in the Nat Forest and we show up and there is someone or a group in the spot? Then we need a plan B site and probably a C site too. Then we need to let everyone coming know we had to switch spots. I’ve had a few people say they would like something closer to the valley so they could just come out for the night, or get there late and spend the night.

The problem with a campground there is money involved $XX paid up front depending how many people come. I have no idea how many will show up and I don’t want to be on the hook for the money.

I’m open to ideas, if anyone is going to be at the meetup on Thursday night grab me and let me know your thoughts. Of message me here.

Todd
One thing that we like to do is someone out early to scout/claim a good spot up in the woods and then just send out the lat/long. Everyone finds their way there. I'm usually the one doing the scouting because I have a flexible schedule which allows me to claim good spots before the city empties into the woods on Friday afternoon. A fun part of the adventure is not knowing where the campsite is until you get there. No pressure on the one picking the spots though... Haha!

Reactions: AZ Trooper

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
One thing that we like to do is someone out early to scout/claim a good spot up in the woods and then just send out the lat/long. Everyone finds their way there. I'm usually the one doing the scouting because I have a flexible schedule which allows me to claim good spots before the city empties into the woods on Friday afternoon. A fun part of the adventure is not knowing where the campsite is until you get there. No pressure on the one picking the spots though... Haha!
I don’t disagree with you and I do that often. However, for a meetup where we are trying to give a broad base of people the opportunity to participate and see different camping setups be it a DIY trailer, nice ground tent, production trailer, etc it would be easier to have something close to town and easy to find. Having some infrastructure like bathrooms is also helpful. Then folks can come out for a couple of hours if that’s all the time they have. A nice camping spot is not the intent of the MeetUp.I hope that makes sense.

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
I don’t disagree with you and I do that often. However, for a meetup where we are trying to give a broad base of people the opportunity to participate and see different camping setups be it a DIY trailer, nice ground tent, production trailer, etc it would be easier to have something close to town and easy to find. Having some infrastructure like bathrooms is also helpful. Then folks can come out for a couple of hours if that’s all the time they have. A nice camping spot is not the intent of the MeetUp.I hope that makes sense.
My comment was more aimed at a 'camping meetup' for the sake of a regular camping trip. I agree that a meet & greet should be more localized and visitor friendly. I follow a lot of threads so I might be getting my wires crossed... Are you guys talking about mixing the two together? Having a "lite" camping trip that is also a meet & greet? Tortilla Flats might be a good place for that. There's entertainment/food for the non-campers and it's easy to find.

Last edited:
Reactions: bawesomfels

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
My comment was more aimed at a 'camping meetup' for the sake of a regular camping trip. I agree that a meet & greet should be more localized and visitor friendly. I follow a lot of threads so I might be getting my wires crossed... Are you guys talking about mixing the two together? Having a "lite" camping trip that is also a meet & greet? Tortilla Flats might be a good place for that. There's entertainment/food for the non-campers and it's easy to find.
We are are and we want something as close to town as possible. I suggested Usery with a day trip to Bulldog Canyon. No dates set and no idea in availability once we try to pick a date. Probably something in early 2020.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Thanks for everyone who came out last night. Nice to meet some new folks. It sounds like we are going to try to book one of the group areas at Usery for the first weekend of December. Probably for a single night. This will give us a nice area to congregate during the daytime to show off rigs and then continue the camaraderie into the evening. This will hopefully be a great opportunity to see other folks setups. We don't care if you sleep in a ground tent or a production trailer.

I will let Todd set the date for this and further details as at the moment I never know what my schedule is going to be like.

Thanks,
Chris

nomnot62

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Arizona, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bellah
Member #

Thanks for everyone who came out last night. Nice to meet some new folks. It sounds like we are going to try to book one of the group areas at Usery for the first weekend of December. Probably for a single night. This will give us a nice area to congregate during the daytime to show off rigs and then continue the camaraderie into the evening. This will hopefully be a great opportunity to see other folks setups. We don't care if you sleep in a ground tent or a production trailer.

I will let Todd set the date for this and further details as at the moment I never know what my schedule is going to be like.

Thanks,
Chris
It was great meeting you last night! This was our 2nd meet up and again met some new folks and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The campout meet up sounds like a good time schedule permitting.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
It was great meeting you last night! This was our 2nd meet up and again met some new folks and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The campout meet up sounds like a good time schedule permitting.
Can you share a link to your Cherry Creek recovery video? Thanks

DharmaInitiativePhoenix

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix AZ
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Szopinski
Member #

Great to meet most of you! Sorry we bailed early. Depending on the date the campout meetup sounds like fun. We'll keep an eye on the thread.