Arizona Overlanders

• HTML tutorial

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Any interest in a meetup on a Saturday afternoon into evening with possible overnight camp? I’m looking to set one up in early November, somewhere in the valley, maybe at one of the local parks. Anyone can come out for the day (might be a Park day fee), or spend the night (there would be limited camp spots, $12-$18 per rig includes day fee).

The idea would be, you bring your rig and setup. We would have a tour going to each rig and the owner would give a tour of the setup, talk about what they like, don’t like, things like that. Have a short Q@A then move to the next rig. After the tour of all the rigs you can go back and ask more in-depth questions.

For this to work we would need people to want to show there rigs and answer questions. It would be best to have a mix of rigs, RTT, sleep in, RTT on trailer, sleep in trailer (teardrop or squaredrop).

Let me know what you think, also if you would just be out for the day or camp, and if you would want to show your rig.

Todd

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
Any interest in a meetup on a Saturday afternoon into evening with possible overnight camp? I’m looking to set one up in early November, somewhere in the valley, maybe at one of the local parks. Anyone can come out for the day (might be a Park day fee), or spend the night (there would be limited camp spots, $12-$18 per rig includes day fee).

The idea would be, you bring your rig and setup. We would have a tour going to each rig and the owner would give a tour of the setup, talk about what they like, don’t like, things like that. Have a short Q@A then move to the next rig. After the tour of all the rigs you can go back and ask more in-depth questions.

For this to work we would need people to want to show there rigs and answer questions. It would be best to have a mix of rigs, RTT, sleep in, RTT on trailer, sleep in trailer (teardrop or squaredrop).

Let me know what you think, also if you would just be out for the day or camp, and if you would want to show your rig.

Todd
I’m out of town for work and not exactly sure of my return date although it should be the first week of November. Because of my uncertainty I can’t commit however if you get something setup and I make it back in time I’ll join the group. Jeep and trailer...

DharmaInitiativePhoenix

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix AZ
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Szopinski
Member #

Todd
Sounds like a great idea and a fun format for a meetup. Depending on the date we would be interested in camping and would be willing to do a tour of our rig. Jeep JKU with a 23zero rooftop tent and some other stuff.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
One possible location may be at Usery Park with a Bulldog Canyon run maybe Saturday late afternoon since it is a short trip.

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
Really interested in your tent setup, what brand, is it on risers or does it stay at transport height. If not what's the lift mechanism
The trailer is a Turtleback Getaway Trail and the factory is in Phoenix. The tent is a 23 Zero, Walkabout 72. It's a 4+ person, four season tent and has a California king mattress. It's mounted on a custom roof rack made by the trailer manufacturer. The roof rack does not move - it's mounted on the of lid of the trailer. The trailer lid has hydraulic struts that assist in opening and can be opened whether or not the tent is deployed. Getting into the trailer when the tent is up is non-event. No interference whatsoever. The tent simply bends in the middle and returns to normal when the lid is closed.

The tent opens/closes just like a book. Same as most RTTs.

Because of the design of the trailer, the tent sits approx 62 inches off of the ground which is shorter than the average roof top tent application. 82 inches is considered the average height above the ground. 23 Zero has a working relationship with Turtleback and they make a custom length annex for the model trailer I have which again is 62 inches. When purchasing an annex you select which length you want. If you were going to use the tent on top of your vehicle naturally you would go with the 82 inch version.

I love the tent. Super roomy, especially with just one or two people sleeping in it. Easy to deploy and only takes a couple of minutes to get set up or take down. Each side has a window and the roof also has two "skylight" openings. All of the windows can be open, netted or completely closed depending on the weather.

If camping in the winter (which I do) you can run a heater down in the annex and the heat roils up into the tent and keeps it completely warm. Too warm at times...

Click on the below links for more info or ask me anything else you want.

23 Zero Walkabout 72

Tent Deployment

Turtleback Getaway Trail

Last edited:

Jeep jeeep

Rank I

Contributor III

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
S
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely be looking into the Turtleback. I'm sure I'll bump into you on a trail one of these days. I'm looking to make a couple of four day runs on the AZ peace trail this winter/ fall and would love to be dragging a setup like yours. And again, that is a badass setup you got there.

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
I'm currently out of town working but back the first week of November. If want, let me know and we can meetup. Glad to show you my setup.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

I posted the rally point for the meet up this Thursday Here. Hope you can come out. We have been having 25-40+ people coming out the last few months.

Since we do the fourth Thursday on the month we'll need to come up with another day in November and December. I'm not sure what we'll do yet but I post it up soon.

Todd