Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Our plan is to either stay south along or near the border for another couple of nights...
Eric, I just recorded another track along the Borderlands this past weekend and marked out a few campsites and such. Here's the data in case you are interested: https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/54dd343c619849ae7b25e53f9c2ef0ec/

Last minute invite: If anybody is interested, we're gonna head out this coming Friday - Sunday for some post-thanksgiving exploration along the Borderlands. Route is undecided yet, but i'm thinking something like Bisbee (or maybe just Sierra Vista) to somewhere in the Tohono O’odham Nation via dirt roads and trails. If there's interest, i'll come up with a more formal plan, otherwise I think we're just gonna be winging it as we go. I have a long term project I've been working on of mapping out a nice complete east <-> west AZ Borderlands overland route so this will be just more scouting for that thing.

samsara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glendale, Az
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Winham
Member #

If you plan to hit the north rim (point sublime) those roads might be closed for the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

If you plan to hit the north rim (point sublime) those roads might be closed for the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Hey man, thanks for the insight... Just got back home from a 4 day trip in and around the Cohutta Wilderness and Big Frog Wilderness of N Georgia and S Tennessee. Found an email from Park Ranger Katz with GCNP, AZ advising me the same thing about North Rim - January snow, road closures, as trail passage being really "iffy" that time of year. So I think I'm going to modify our plans and instead explore in and around Sadona after we visit Mojave and Death Valley. So we'll reschedule any North Rim of Grand Canyon trip until perhaps next spring or summer.

patton999

Rank 0

Traveler I

Once you get to the Sedona area, head to the top of House mountain just outside of Cornville. It's not as amazing as point sublime but I think it's the best view in the a Verde Valley, including Sedona. It's pretty rocky though.
I drive a Wrangler LJ with 31s so I'm not super modified.
The trail is intermedate and not super tough.
Im posting at school so i'll try and give details about the trail later tonight. It's off of beaver head flat road just outside of Sedona.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric Neal

patton999

Rank 0

Traveler I

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/1142-rocky-sidewinder-153a

Nice day around there. Away from so many pink jeeps. Its rocky but so is this area. Only the last part needs clearance.
FR 153A
Search this site for Hot Loop if you want to make the above trail longer.

I almost forgot to give FR in House Mt.-
I've only been up FR9952 off of highway 78 which is beaver head flat road. Between cornville highway and Sedona. Awesome view of the valley from the top.
Day trip - not designated for camping but I've seen camp sites. Never come across anyone.

Last edited:

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
New guy here, I am in the White Mountains of East Central Arizona. Any other over landers in the area?

Reactions: Chase F

Chase F

Rank 0

Traveler I

Wanted some adventure so I took a ride out to Lake Powell this weekend for an overnighter. Weather was perfect to get on the water during the day and crowd the camp fire at night. Took the truck up the dunes a bit for a top off. Good times.

Surprise, AZ
2011 Ram 1500
Insta: Chase_Frazee