Arizona Overlanders

• HTML tutorial

Chase F

Rank 0

Traveler I

i havent done any overnighters yet mainly since i gotta get home to help with the baby. When she gets a little older and can take the bouncing off road we'll go farther out and camp for sure.
That’s why I’m happy my girl is just turning 4 years old. She enjoys it now days. I take her with me any chance I get, as long as it’s family friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

jeepdaze

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Dunning
Member #

Nice I am planning for Bulldog Canyon trail. Are these considered easy or moderate trails.
Depends what you drive. If you have four-wheel drive a some decent clearance, it's easy. Otherwise, I think you could say moderate.

In case you didn't know, you need a permit from the Forest Service to do Bulldog Canyon. It's free and you can apply via email.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kanobee

Kanobee

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Queen Creek, AZ
First Name
Leo
Last Name
G
Member #

Depends what you drive. If you have four-wheel drive a some decent clearance, it's easy. Otherwise, I think you could say moderate.

In case you didn't know, you need a permit from the Forest Service to do Bulldog Canyon. It's free and you can apply via email.

Exactly! couldn't have described it better. My brother did this a couple weeks ago with a Pre-Runner Tacoma (2wd) and we went from north to south on the trail with no problem, however going from south to north is a bit rougher on a couple spots for climbing.

Reactions: pmansoori

jeepdaze

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Dunning
Member #

Exactly! couldn't have described it better. My brother did this a couple weeks ago with a Pre-Runner Tacoma (2wd) and we went from north to south on the trail with no problem, however going from south to north is a bit rougher on a couple spots for climbing.
Sorry brother. I should have let you answer that. I was too eager to be distracted by thoughts of wheeling instead of doing work! [emoji12]

Leftcoastadv

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Southwest
New OB member here (Waiting for my digits). Currently in the Denver area but coming down to Tucson for the winter. Native to the Prescott area so AZ is my backyard. It's good to be headed back for a bit.
I'll keep an eye out for trail runs and events.

716T4RnR

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Paso Robles, CA, USA
First Name
Sarah
Last Name
Ambrose
Member #

New OB member here (Waiting for my digits). Currently in the Denver area but coming down to Tucson for the winter. Native to the Prescott area so AZ is my backyard. It's good to be headed back for a bit.
I'll keep an eye out for trail runs and events.
Welcome back to the desert![emoji266]

#OB7919 | Sarah

AJoslin

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Tempe, Arizona
First Name
Abram
Last Name
Joslin
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hi everyone, new member here in Tempe. I try to get out camping as often as I can and wanted to get in on the over landing scene too. I've been cataloging my spots in Google Earth. I've got two books I recommend you get (if you don't have them already) that have lots of trails in them (from beginner to expert). I've been putting the trails from the books into Google Earth as well. They are:

"Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" and "Backcountry Adventures: Arizona"

I'm going to try to make it to next weeks meet up at Tempe Marketplace and can bring them if anyone is interested in looking at them.

716T4RnR

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Paso Robles, CA, USA
First Name
Sarah
Last Name
Ambrose
Member #

Hi everyone, new member here in Tempe. I try to get out camping as often as I can and wanted to get in on the over landing scene too. I've been cataloging my spots in Google Earth. I've got two books I recommend you get (if you don't have them already) that have lots of trails in them (from beginner to expert). I've been putting the trails from the books into Google Earth as well. They are:

"Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" and "Backcountry Adventures: Arizona"

I'm going to try to make it to next weeks meet up at Tempe Marketplace and can bring them if anyone is interested in looking at them.
Welcome!! I'm in Tempe as well so I'll probably see you around!

#OB7919 | Sarah

Reactions: AJoslin

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Hi everyone, new member here in Tempe.
Welcome! I'm down in Tucson but head up to your vicinity for the AZ Overlanders meetup every month.

Both great books, one note about "Backcountry Adventures: Arizona": it is no longer published as one big state-wide book, and is therefore getting harder to find used for a reasonable price. The trick is that it is now published as 4 separate books titled "Arizona Trails" based on region. So look for:
  • Arizona Trails South Region
  • Arizona Trails Northeast Region
  • Arizona Trails Central Region
  • Arizona Trails West Region
I definitely prefer "Backgroutry Adventures"/"Arizona Trails" to the AZ Backroads book since they include quite few multi-day trails and a bit more detail in their routes. All are great trail guides, however.

Chase F

Rank 0

Traveler I

Where/when and how do I find out about these AZ meet ups we do? I see you guys mention them, but still unsure how they get organized, etc.

716T4RnR

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Paso Robles, CA, USA
First Name
Sarah
Last Name
Ambrose
Member #

Where/when and how do I find out about these AZ meet ups we do? I see you guys mention them, but still unsure how they get organized, etc.

There is a rally point that shows the meet up on the members map. Here's the link[emoji4]

Reoccurring - OB MEET & GREET /TEMPE MARKET PLACE- Arizona southwest region - 11/11/2017

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/index.php?threads/Reoccurring---OB-MEET-&-GREET--TEMPE-MARKET-PLACE--Arizona-southwest-region---11-11-2017.9132/

#OB7919 | Sarah

716T4RnR

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Paso Robles, CA, USA
First Name
Sarah
Last Name
Ambrose
Member #

Just moved to fountain hills a couple months ago and have run a bunch of trails since getting here. My truck is basically stock but works great for a lot of the trails here, hope to see you guys out there!

Welcome, @Dziedzic!

#OB7919 | Sarah

Reactions: Dziedzic

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
There's the "Meet and Greet" meetup which sounds like it's just like a parking lot meetup (i haven't been to one), and there's the AZ Overlanders meetup group where we go out on overnight trips fairly regularly. AZ Overlanders is not an offcial OB group, but most attendees are members of OB. There's been quite a few trips organized in this thread and in the OB SW Region forum as well

Reactions: clo_iam and Chase F

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Just moved to fountain hills a couple months ago and have run a bunch of trails since getting here. My truck is basically stock but works great for a lot of the trails here, hope to see you guys out there!
Welcome!

Reactions: Dziedzic

clo_iam

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Los angeles/Phoenix
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Estella
Member #

Reactions: Chase F

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Reactions: clo_iam

716T4RnR

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Paso Robles, CA, USA
First Name
Sarah
Last Name
Ambrose
Member #

Not sure what happened to that link, i suspect it got mangled somehow in the copy pasta. Here is one that should work (it's also listed in the Rally Point events listing)
OB MEET & GREET / TEMPE MARKET PLACE
Yeah, that's weird...the link I posted works for me haha...but thanks for sending out a new one![emoji1303]

#OB7919 | Sarah