Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Are there any plans for a hang out here in the PHX area. I'd love to hang out and talk some shop and pick brains.
There is a meetup on the 29th, next Saturday! Check out the Arizona Overlanders on meetup.com. @1Louder organizes it, and although it's not an official OLB meetup, it's a good group from my experience. Quite a few Overland Bound members, and we're nothing like whatever that weird North Florida "meetup" was. :P

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Looks like it was a great time!

Gunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Avondale, Arizona
Member #

Running Crown King Friday noonish. Hopefully it won't be very crowded on a Friday afternoon.
Hi Ron, if you decide to do the Crown King run again please let me know. Live in Avondale so close. Have never made that run and would prefer to do so with someone else there the fist time. Have a 2015 JKU ready to go. Retired so can do almost any day. Just let me know--text 480.399.8067.

David

Reactions: jcott329

jeepdaze

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Dunning
Member #

Hi Ron, if you decide to do the Crown King run again please let me know. Live in Avondale so close. Have never made that run and would prefer to do so with someone else there the fist time. Have a 2015 JKU ready to go. Retired so can do almost any day. Just let me know--text 480.399.8067.

David
I'd be interested as well. I'm moving to Mesa from Michigan next week and would love to do the CK run with others since I'm in a 2011 Jeep WK2 and could benefit from some guidance.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

jcott329

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus, MS
Member #

I was thinking about a trip near the beginning of August to Crown King with a night of camping. So I can get an idea, What days of the week work best for everyone? I can do pretty much any 2 days of the week during the summer. Also, I was thinking of maybe starting in Prescott and ending on highway 17 or vice versa. For the most part only dirt roads but we could split the group at Crown King maybe and those that want a more challenging trail can do that on the 2nd day. Basically follow Senator Highway for those that are familiar with the trail. Once I get some feedback I'll put up a Rally Point and spread the word (Overland Bound and a few Tacomaworld members).

jcott329

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus, MS
Member #

Also what are people using for communication on the trail? I have no comms at the moment and might use the trip as an excuse to grab a CB or walkie talkie even lol.

And while I am thinking of it... for those that are new to AZ (I only moved here 3 years ago) I recommend getting the Funtreks Arizona Guide To Backroads Book from here: https://www.funtreks.com/funtreks-guidebooks

AZ Trails.jpg

When I came to Arizona I had no idea where to go exploring VIA 4 wheel drive at first. This book has led me to some amazing trails!

Last edited:
Reactions: jeepdaze

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

When you get to CK keep going up to Horse Thief Lake to camp over night. It's only like 6 or so miles more of off road and worth it. Much nicer than camping around CK. And if you don't want to use the sites by the lake there some primitive ones just a mile or so past the lake towards the summit. And if your lucky the gate to Horse Thief Rd at the summit will be open and will take you back down to the NE corner of Lake Pleasant. Which is very rarely used so use caution. Good fishing at the lake. It's kinda of a secret lake even tho its on the maps.

jcott329

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus, MS
Member #

When you get to CK keep going up to Horse Thief Lake to camp over night. It's only like 6 or so miles more of off road and worth it. Much nicer than camping around CK. And if you don't want to use the sites by the lake there some primitive ones just a mile or so past the lake towards the summit. And if your lucky the gate to Horse Thief Rd at the summit will be open and will take you back down to the NE corner of Lake Pleasant. Which is very rarely used so use caution. Good fishing at the lake. It's kinda of a secret lake even tho its on the maps.
I've been in that area quite a few times but have never been to Horse Thief.... Looks awesome though! I'll make that the plan for sure.

Ron Clark

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Well very cool. I am retired as well so day doesn't matter. Would prefer to do it mid week since it can be bumper to bumper on weekends. I will give a shout out when I am heading. Feel free to shoot me a message if you are heading out as well.

jeepdaze

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Dunning
Member #

Unfortunately, I'm confined to overlanding on the weekends. I'm an 8 to 5 M-F stiff, which means crowded trails for me. [emoji45]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Gunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Avondale, Arizona
Member #

I was thinking about a trip near the beginning of August to Crown King with a night of camping. So I can get an idea, What days of the week work best for everyone? I can do pretty much any 2 days of the week during the summer. Also, I was thinking of maybe starting in Prescott and ending on highway 17 or vice versa. For the most part only dirt roads but we could split the group at Crown King maybe and those that want a more challenging trail can do that on the 2nd day. Basically follow Senator Highway for those that are familiar with the trail. Once I get some feedback I'll put up a Rally Point and spread the word (Overland Bound and a few Tacomaworld members).
An overnighter after CK would be perfect. Just let me know when. I can do anyway except Sunday.
David