ARB Elements 63QT Fridge / Freezer

• HTML tutorial

cerberus

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Austin, MN
Member #

Anyone have experience with the newer ARB Elements fridge/freezer? Looking for feedback good/bad on power consumption, durability, size (form factor), and comparisons to others in this size range. I know this is a newer model for them, but looking for some more info since there seems to be less information online regarding testing of this model.

Link to fridge:
https://ok4wd.com/arb-all-weather-63qt-fridge-freezer

simplyanadventure

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

CNY
First Name
Simply
Last Name
AnAdventure
Member #

I have one, in fact I have the exact one you're asking about. 63QT ARB, the newest one. My plan is to mount in in the bed of my Tacoma when my GoFastCamper gets here (the end of this MONTH!!!). I have a Decked Drawer system in there and already have a tilting Alu-Cab slide to lower it down to tailgate level (wife needs access too).

All that said Right now it's mounted to a platform in my rear seat and Hardwired using the ARB Wiring kit directly to the Battery. To be completely honest I don't have experience with other high end Overlanding Fridges, but I can tell you there is NOTHING about this fridge that I don't love. It's absolutely enormous and fits enough for a week plus +++ for my wife and I.

Battery consumption is very low, my Tacoma only has the stock battery and it hasn't drawn it down yet (running max 28 or so hours without the truck running) It of course has three levels of low voltage shutoff to protect your battery so it should not be a concern. I do plan on switching to a group 31M Deep Cycle/ Combo Battery shortly simply because it's not good to draw a starting battery down.

I have the ARB Fridge cover and remote monitor as well (since it's ultimately going to live in my truck bed) The monitor is super cool, shows current battery voltage and fridge temp. I got the fridge in spring and used it for a 5 day trip to Vermont, and than for an 8 day trip through VT, NH, and ME and it was perfect.

One thing that I do is when I put it in my car and load it up the night before, either I keep it inside and plugged into 120V to let it come down to temperature (that's what uses most of the power) and or lately I've just been running an extension cord to my truck the night before since it's got a smart charger that picks up 120V and uses that first if available.

Headed to PA next week for an Overland Rally for 4 days so I'll be testing it some more but all and all it's perfect. The one thing I will say is it may be nice to have one of the fridge/ freezers with two compartments just be bring frozen foods along. Though for the cost and size if I want to do that I may just add a 37qt and use it strictly as a freezer if I really ever think I need it. Once you have ANY real fridge you'll wonder why it's not the first thing you bought. Oh and keep in mind a 63QT fridge is at least the equivalent of a 120QT Cooler since you have NO ice to waste space. You'll love it.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have been watching and researching fridges for a while. I can not justify the cost of one yet, but they do seem to be stable in price while updated features are added. There are a lot of manufacturers offering many options. I like the newer fridge AND freezer models that offer the best of both worlds. I keep coming back to the SNOWMASTER brand for its price point and dual system in their expedition series. ARB always seems to be at the upper price-point in everything they offer. Great customer service, but sometimes the quality is not always there.

ARB should have offered their new ELEMENTS fridge as a dual zone-fridge and freezer. That seems to be the industry direction, and reflects customer preference trends. I am surprised they didn't offer a thermal cover for this model, even though it is a all weather desighn. By the comments above it does seem to be well insulated and energy efficient. Being in the desert southwest, high efficiency and low power consumption play a big part in summer when temperatures of 105-115 degrees outside everyday are the norm.

huudlum_jk

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I have been watching and researching fridges for a while. I can not justify the cost of one yet, but they do seem to be stable in price while updated features are added. There are a lot of manufacturers offering many options. I like the newer fridge AND freezer models that offer the best of both worlds. I keep coming back to the SNOWMASTER brand for its price point and dual system in their expedition series. ARB always seems to be at the upper price-point in everything they offer. Great customer service, but sometimes the quality is not always there.

ARB should have offered their new ELEMENTS fridge as a dual zone-fridge and freezer. That seems to be the industry direction, and reflects customer preference trends. I am surprised they didn't offer a thermal cover for this model, even though it is a all weather desighn. By the comments above it does seem to be well insulated and energy efficient. Being in the desert southwest, high efficiency and low power consumption play a big part in summer when temperatures of 105-115 degrees outside everyday are the norm.
It’s only hard to justify until you actually buy one... they are a game-changer addition to any kit (just my opinion of course).

Reactions: bmwguru and Brewbud

admpilot

Rank 0

Contributor I

Akron, OH, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Miller
I just bought one. Set it up in the bed of my ZR2. I have it plugged into a battery bank I built that charges off the alternator. The battery bank is rated at 60 amps. I sorta half tested it for about 8 days set to 40 degrees F. I was only doing short drives, probably not really enough to give the bank a good charge, but it kept at temperature until I had to pull it out to use the truck bed for something. I am very happy with it. I guess word of caution, careful if you buy it from amazon. If you buy it from amazon only buy it from seller ARB. I went with some other seller the first and second time, I think it was a bit cheaper, and I got the wrong fridge each time.

Jason Jackson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Reno, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Would like to know a little more on the 12v failure. Is it a problem I would see from a standard battery powering the freezer? Have a minkota battery box with a deep cycle battery. Wondering if I too would need 5he regulator.
I am still studying before place the order on Cyber Monday. Haha. Thanks.