Anyone using APRS?

• Guest, You can choose a light or dark theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" botton at the very bottom left of this page!

1Louder

Rank V

Advocate II

AZ
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
I have a couple TMD700a's and don't see that they support this functionality - but they might. :) If I remember will give a try later in the day when I get home to see what I can see.

@1Louder - point of clarification. Your raw APRS data shows no space between the frequency and the - (dash) but your screenshot above looks like there is one in there. Does the space between the freq and the dash exist in the radio setting and get stripped out somewhere? Also I assume that "[Freq MHz]" is a placeholder for something like "146.535MHz" or does the radio replace "146.535MHz" with your non-data band current freq?
Put in verbatim what I typed and showed. [Freq MHz] is what tells the radio to tell APRS what to display. If I am on 146.460. 123.45 etc that will be shown in APRS. I don't really know how APRS.FI or anything else interprets the data.

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank V

Influencer I

Covington, Virginia, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KT4OZ
Thanks! Searched the TM-D700 manual and found no mention of the QSY feature but did see a few things on the internet that indicated it would work.

That was the answer that I was hoping for - makes it a lot more automated/nicer. I'll give it a whirl on my 700s when I get home and see what I can learn. Cool feature!
The 710 and Yaesu 400 both have a QSY tune feature where, if they receive that info formatted properly, you can set your voice channel to it with a push of a button, tone and all for repeaters.

Reactions: Greg Eigsti

Greg Eigsti

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Sammamish, WA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KD7UBJ
@1Louder - Thanks!
@TerryD - will give the push-button-to-tune feature a try later on.

The TM-D700 does not initially appear to support replacement of [Freq MHz] with the non-data-band frequency :( Got the following packet out from work and [Freq MHz] was not replaced.
Will reprogram with an explicit frequency for the drive home and see what happens.

2019-04-15 14:02:34 CDT: KD7UBJ-8>4W4RUU,RS0ISS,WIDE1-1,qAR,KI7RYA-5:'2a]l <0x1c>K\]"4K}[Freq MHz] - QSY test

Reactions: 1Louder

Greg Eigsti

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Sammamish, WA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KD7UBJ
@TerryD - unfortunately the 700 does not appear to support QSY TX or RX. Received a packet from my radio and saw no facility to tune to the embedded frequency. Sorry I could not help - but thanks for the education!