First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
Hello!

I'm curious if any Ham operators here use APRS during their travels (for tracking/locating/emergency recovery/other reasons). I'm researching new mobile radios for my new ride and would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks =)
I use APRS 95% of the time. Only time when I don’t is when I am in a great area I don’t want to share. Like fishing spots. I have the Yaesu FTM400 in my Jeep and its an amazing radio. Very easy to use. APRS is awesome! I can go on and on about the benefits of APRS.... not just for tracking.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Just got my TNC 3 today. Paired it with my iPad and connected it to my Kenwood TM-V71A. Played around with the setting in the aprs.fi app, sent out a Beacon, and it looked like it worked. I was able to see packets coming through including my own.

Then I went to the map view of the aprs.fi app and saw myself on the map. I just don't know if other people could see me. I did everything from inside my truck. Then once I saw myself on the map, then went inside the house, to my desktop computer, and went to the aprs.fi website and found myself there too, at least I thought I did.

I need to test this out with another person to be sure. Otherwise, I think I did everything ok. I also picked up a TNC cable for my Boafeng BF-F8HP. I feel less confident about that configuration, but I can see from the display that data was going in and out.

In both devices while still connected to the iPad I tried to send myself a aprs sms message. I kept on getting this error message, 'Configuration error prevents transmission.'. I didn't know how to fix that.

Will keep on testing and messing around with it when I have time.

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

Just got my TNC 3 today. Paired it with my iPad and connected it to my Kenwood TM-V71A. Played around with the setting in the aprs.fi app, sent out a Beacon, and it looked like it worked. I was able to see packets coming through including my own.

Then I went to the map view of the aprs.fi app and saw myself on the map. I just don't know if other people could see me. I did everything from inside my truck. Then once I saw myself on the map, then went inside the house, to my desktop computer, and went to the aprs.fi website and found myself there too, at least I thought I did.

I need to test this out with another person to be sure. Otherwise, I think I did everything ok. I also picked up a TNC cable for my Boafeng BF-F8HP. I feel less confident about that configuration, but I can see from the display that data was going in and out.

In both devices while still connected to the iPad I tried to send myself a aprs sms message. I kept on getting this error message, 'Configuration error prevents transmission.'. I didn't know how to fix that.

You could use SMSGTE to try to send yourself or someone you know a text message. That would be an easy way to test it. You can also message WXBOT and say something like "Chicago, full." It will respond with a forecast if it's up and running.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
You could use SMSGTE to try to send yourself or someone you know a text message. That would be an easy way to test it. You can also message WXBOT and say something like "Chicago, full." It will respond with a forecast if it's up and running.
Could I do that from the iOS aprs.fi app? My Kenwood doesn't have APRS built-in for me to use SMSGTE? or do I compose a message to SMSGTE inside the app?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

You can also msg EMAIL to send an email. Try putting something easily identifiable in your beacon/message text and see if you can get that string to show up in the raw data for your TNC3 station.

Is your TNC3 using KN6JAU-9? The qAR in the packets below (aprs.fi raw data) says that these were received via RF (woot?).
Code:
2020-06-08 15:23:29 PDT: KN6JAU-9>APFII0,K6FGA-1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,K6QXY-1:@222327h3824.00N/12125.80Wk202/001APRS w/Kenwood TM-V71A!w!!!
2020-06-08 15:24:16 PDT: KN6JAU-9>APFII0,K6FGA-1*,AC6ET-5*,qAR,W6PKT-5:@222327h3824.00N/12125.80Wk202/001APRS w/Kenwood TM-V71A!w!!!
2020-06-08 15:26:00 PDT: KN6JAU-9>APFII0,K6FGA-1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,GTOWN:@222557h3824.00N/12125.80Wk202/001RoarinRow at Overland Bound!w!!!
2020-06-08 15:26:37 PDT: KN6JAU-9>APFII0,K6FGA-1*,AC6ET-5*,qAR,W6PKT-5:@222557h3824.00N/12125.80Wk202/001RoarinRow at Overland Bound!w!!!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Could I do that from the iOS aprs.fi app? My Kenwood doesn't have APRS built-in for me to use SMSGTE? or do I compose a message to SMSGTE inside the app?
I believe that you send an APRS message to SMSGTE in this case. Something like:
SMSGTE 8001112222 hey buddy!

There are servers on the internet monitoring the APRS-IS and when they see a message addressed to SMSGTE or EMAIL or ??? they will do fun things for you :)
BTW - APRS-IS is the internet side of APRS as opposed to the RF side of APRS. When your Kenwood has a packet "gated" that means its packet was forwarded from the RF domain to the APRS-IS/internet domain by an "iGate".

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

There are servers on the internet monitoring the APRS-IS and when they see a message addressed to SMSGTE or EMAIL or ??? they will do fun things for you :)
BTW - APRS-IS is the internet side of APRS as opposed to the RF side of APRS. When your Kenwood has a packet "gated" that means its packet was forwarded from the RF domain to the APRS-IS/internet domain by an "iGate".
Yup, that's correct. You just send the message to "SMSGTE" and in the body of the message you write "@1234567890" for the phone number you want it to go to, and then immediately after that whatever you want the message to say. You can create aliases for phone numbers on the SMS gateway website if you don't want to type the whole number each time...or to hide the number from public view each time. Then it would be something like "@dad" or "@wife" and then the message.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yup, that's correct. You just send the message to "SMSGTE" and in the body of the message you write "@1234567890" for the phone number you want it to go to, and then immediately after that whatever you want the message to say. You can create aliases for phone numbers on the SMS gateway website if you don't want to type the whole number each time...or to hide the number from public view each time. Then it would be something like "@dad" or "@wife" and then the message.
Awesome, thanks for the clarification!

I will definitely try this the next time I'm in my rig. Woo hoo!

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

OMG! I couldn't wait! I tested it and it worked! I sent a message to myself on my cell as well as my wife's phone. Boom! Thank you guys!
It's definitely a neat feature. I've read plenty of stories about guys using it in conjunction with the digipeater on the International Space Station to send their wives an update on their hunting/fishing trip, etc when they had no cell service.

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
It's definitely a neat feature. I've read plenty of stories about guys using it in conjunction with the digipeater on the International Space Station to send their wives an update on their huntjng/fishing trip, etc when they had no cell service.
Yeah so cool. I just created alias names for my brother and wife using the APRS commands.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
It's definitely a neat feature. I've read plenty of stories about guys using it in conjunction with the digipeater on the International Space Station to send their wives an update on their hunting/fishing trip, etc when they had no cell service.
You can do it with a quarter wave antenna and about 30 or more watts of power. You gotta have a ISS tracking app and be on your toes cause the windows are pretty small even if it's passing pretty close to you, and you're only going to get about 1 or maybe 2 passes a day. I've seen videos of people working it with a handheld and a beam antenna.

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD

If you are showing up on aprs.fi then your aprs packet has been gated through an igate. One way to make to make sure your transmitted packet is getting through is to filter out internet icons so you only see actual packets. I find that aprs.fi is not the best website for my needs. I like to use aprsdirect.com much better interface and map details. Good luck!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Then I went to the map view of the aprs.fi app and saw myself on the map. I just don't know if other people could see me.
Looks good, now try driving around. :laughing: Must be nice to have a handful of mountain top digipeaters/igates, the two digi's that have heard you so far are both about 63 miles away.

1591710525691.png

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Looks good, now try driving around. :laughing: Must be nice to have a handful of mountain top digipeaters/igates, the two digi's that have heard you so far are both about 63 miles away.

View attachment 157772
Haha you found me! Yes next thing to do is to drive around, then see what the map looks like then.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
If you are showing up on aprs.fi then your aprs packet has been gated through an igate. One way to make to make sure your transmitted packet is getting through is to filter out internet icons so you only see actual packets. I find that aprs.fi is not the best website for my needs. I like to use aprsdirect.com much better interface and map details. Good luck!
On the packet history I see some of my packets are in red. I think those are invalid packets or something? Or maybe because I was sending SMS messages, they are supposed to be that color?

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
On the packet history I see some of my packets are in red. I think those are invalid packets or something? Or maybe because I was sending SMS messages, they are supposed to be that color?
To be honest, Im not sure. haha. I would look at the times they were sent on the radio/phone and time they were gated on the website to see if they are the SMS messages... if the time matches anyway.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Haha you found me! Yes next thing to do is to drive around, then see what the map looks like then.
It looks like today you are not using RF.

Outgoing vs incoming. The red appears to be outgoing messages and the green is incoming.
If the packet hadn't gone through you would see it repeat the message up to 4 or 5 times I believe trying to get it to go through.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
It looks like today you are not using RF.

Outgoing vs incoming. The red appears to be outgoing messages and the green is incoming.
If the packet hadn't gone through you would see it repeat the message up to 4 or 5 times I believe trying to get it to go through.
The red and outgoing messages would be a good explanation, thank you! Yes I powered up my laptop and had the aprs.fi browser tab open. It is still tracking me lol. How do I stop that when I'm just at home? Logout of aprs.fi?

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

The red and outgoing messages would be a good explanation, thank you! Yes I powered up my laptop and had the aprs.fi browser tab open. It is still tracking me lol. How do I stop that when I'm just at home? Logout of aprs.fi?
I am not familiar with the aprs.fi app, is there a start tracking / stop tracking button?

Reactions: RoarinRow