US West Anybody interested in Bay area -> Folsom(MET/Uncle Tom) snow run this weekend

• HTML tutorial

Where to Go

• Uncle Tom's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mormont Emigrant Trail

• I know an even better option in the area (details in comments)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

overl4nd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, California
Member #

The Snow gods are smiling, and the Sierra region will see over 15" in 24 hours starting Friday night . Is anybody here for a day trip to Mormont Emigrant Trail (MET) on the 2nd of Feb (Saturday).

Any other destination like Uncle Tom will also do. We did one such trip (Two GX and a FJ) two weeks back and could got quite the distance on MET before U turn. Plenty of snow, and lot of Norcal 4x4 guys also do this run regularly.

Uncle Tom's I have no idea, but I did see some threads about it.

If Bay area/Sacramento/Northern California or even Souther Cali/Reno etc., etc., wanna do it, just holler here.

For the Bay area we actually fill up at Safeway Pleasanton around 9:00am and then reach the sly park area by 11am. Then its 4-5 hours snow romping and then back.

Uncle tom's is also good, but unfortunately I have never been there so somebody else will have to take the lead if people prefer that. I think its 45 minutes farther out.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Snow is in the forecast so Uncle Toms should be good.

Anvil

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Welp, I am brand new to Overland Bound, first post haha...if this trip comes together, I am very interested....coming from the Peninsula so easy to meet at 9am in Pleasanton...

I am not familiar with either of those trails, so no vote casted...or perhaps I should vote, all of the above....

Last edited:

overl4nd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, California
Member #

Snow is in the forecast so Uncle Toms should be good.
Hi Kent
Good to see you here. You know the area much better than us. What is the altitude at Uncle Tom's. We can plan for that. Anything 6000ft and above is great

Welp, I am brand new to Overland Bound, first post haha...if this trip comes together, I am very interested....coming from the Peninsula so easy to meet at 9am in Pleasanton...

I am not familiar with either of those trails, so no vote casted...or perhaps I should vote, all of the above....
Hi Anthony. Lets meet at pleasanton Safeway at 9am
More people may join too and we should have confirmations by tomorrow

Reactions: Anvil

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Can't make it this weekend. Ran Emigrant Gap last weekend. Agree you need to be over 6,000ft for good snow.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi Kent
Good to see you here. You know the area much better than us. What is the altitude at Uncle Tom's. We can plan for that. Anything 6000ft and above is great

Hi Anthony. Lets meet at pleasanton Safeway at 9am
More people may join too and we should have confirmations by tomorrow
5100' contact Klinton @Stone Valley Outfitters he is the guy from out club that runs trips up there. Good guy

VonTrapp

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Von Trapp
Member #

If I can get some gear together quick, I might join in. Leaving from Oakland, CA. :-)

VonTrapp

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Von Trapp
Member #

I have air compressor. But shovel is small. We can stop at home depot at our rally pont if you are paranoid.
Good to know. No need to stop. Thank you though!

It’s been on the list of stuff to get slowly but surely. And is needed when solo too.

sakiwest

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6M
Hey all,
I’m interested in this but.... don’t have gear other than a shovel :). My 4runners tires are still the crappy stock ones (with wear, so not the best treads). Assuming the storm doesn’t really get as bad as it sounds, how far in do you one who is admittly ill prepared could go?

I’ll go grab chains right now if someone or two chimes in with a bit of confidence:)

overl4nd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, California
Member #

Hey all,
I’m interested in this but.... don’t have gear other than a shovel :). My 4runners tires are still the crappy stock ones (with wear, so not the best treads). Assuming the storm doesn’t really get as bad as it sounds, how far in do you one who is admittly ill prepared could go?

I’ll go grab chains right now if someone or two chimes in with a bit of confidence:)
My rig is lightly modified. I have tow strap and shackles. Right now its 3 vehicles. So join in.
There is a walmart on the way and you can pick up some chains for 50-60$ to be on the safe side.
The Storm is big, but snow levels are high. Moreover expect a lot more vehicles on the trail

@llouie246

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Francisco Bay Area
First Name
LouAnne
Last Name
Laflamme
Member #

I really need to get in the forums more. I would have totally joined you in this trip! Saturday is my only free day every week. Have fun!

Anvil

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I really need to get in the forums more. I would have totally joined you in this trip! Saturday is my only free day every week. Have fun!
Thank you for organizing… It was nice to meet all of you… You all are more brave that I! The weather was turning and the snow is getting deep so I turned around… Hope you guys had fun let’s do it again!

sakiwest

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6M
Thanks for organizing! That was fun. Next time I won’t be such a weenie. I should have trusted the rig more and gone higher with you two. It would have been educational to actually put it to the test since it did so well getting to that point and back. (Let’s call it drivers experience that hindered me.)

Attachments

Reactions: VonTrapp and Kent R

VonTrapp

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Von Trapp
Member #

Was a great day! If you were on the fence about coming, next time don't hesitate.

Though, I would love to find a solution for "on trail communication," for day trips such as this where not everyone has the same method/equipment... but surely there's gotta be a walkie-talkie-type-app that has iPhone/Adroid crossover usage. Thoughts? Knowledge?

sakiwest

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6M
Was a great day! If you were on the fence about coming, next time don't hesitate.

Though, I would love to find a solution for "on trail communication," for day trips such as this where not everyone has the same method/equipment... but surely there's gotta be a walkie-talkie-type-app that has iPhone/Adroid crossover usage. Thoughts? Knowledge?

Good times! Based on yesterday I’m planning buying a pair of GMRS radios. That way one can stay with me and one can go to someone without one. Just the cheapo ones but it’ll be better than yesterday’s nothing.