US West Anybody interested in Bay area -> Folsom(MET/Uncle Tom) snow run this weekend

• HTML tutorial

Where to Go

• Uncle Tom's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mormont Emigrant Trail

• I know an even better option in the area (details in comments)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Here is the OLB comms info. GMRS is fine but Ham is better. Whatever GMRS radio you get just make sure it is high power. The OLB preferred Ch is 15 because it will allow 50 watts. If you do decide to get GMRS most of us with hams can program those channels in even though it is not technically legal. There is lots of information on the forum about comms and I would highly recommend you check the pros and cons of each before you decide to buy.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/overland-bound-comms-frequency-guide.18078/

Reactions: VonTrapp

Anvil

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I felt the same need after Saturday's snow run to Uncle Toms...I was 'radioless' as well...I just ordered the Midland - GXT1000VP4....2 radios for $70, very reasonable. If I decide to go another direction, HAM, I can use these as back ups and/or supply to others on our runs who are without comms...I also submitted my FCC licensing application.

50taco

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Wish I had seen this/been free. Sounds like it would have been a fun first trip.

As to the comms thing, anyone have a recommendation for a beginner comms setup? Also-I have used the cell phone app Zello at work and its great if you have cell service, it works like a Nextel Push to Talk and its free.

Count me in for next time!

Anvil

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Wish I had seen this/been free. Sounds like it would have been a fun first trip.

As to the comms thing, anyone have a recommendation for a beginner comms setup? Also-I have used the cell phone app Zello at work and its great if you have cell service, it works like a Nextel Push to Talk and its free.

Count me in for next time!

From what I gather, the overland bound group seems to use channel 15, which is a GMRS frequency/channel (Bear with me, I’m literally three days into this ha ha Ha) If you get a GMRS radio that should tide you over until you follow Kent’s lead and get the real deal, HAM...That will require a bit of study and test taking… I paid my $70 for my GMRS license so I’m good to go for 10 years…My midland handheld is 5 W… There is a mobile unit that installs into the car, think old school CB unit style, with an antenna that is 40 W I don’t know the model number but it has 400x in the name...

You bring up an interesting point about wanting to join the next outing… I’m not on this board frequently as I just joined but it would be nice to somehow get a notification of any local groups/outings… Short of monitoring this forum, I’m afraid I might miss something as well…

Sent all of this from my iPhone so I apologize for any typos and grammar errors...

Reactions: 50taco

50taco

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bay Area, CA
Member #

From what I gather, the overland bound group seems to use channel 15, which is a GMRS frequency/channel (Bear with me, I’m literally three days into this ha ha Ha) If you get a GMRS radio that should tide you over until you follow Kent’s lead and get the real deal, HAM...That will require a bit of study and test taking… I paid my $70 for my GMRS license so I’m good to go for 10 years…My midland handheld is 5 W… There is a mobile unit that installs into the car, think old school CB unit style, with an antenna that is 40 W I don’t know the model number but it has 400x in the name...

You bring up an interesting point about wanting to join the next outing… I’m not on this board frequently as I just joined but it would be nice to somehow get a notification of any local groups/outings… Short of monitoring this forum, I’m afraid I might miss something as well…

Sent all of this from my iPhone so I apologize for any typos and grammar errors...
Awesome thanks I'll look into a GMRS radio set up and get a license.

I just joined but I am planning on keeping an eye on stuff like this, shoot me a message if you'd like to keep in touch.

Reactions: Anvil

VonTrapp

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Von Trapp
Member #

I'll be heading out to the same area this weekend. Girlfriend got a case of the FOMO after seeing all the fun I had with the dog. LOL. :tonguewink:

The Mormon Immigrant Trail is a few miles from a simple AirBnB we found for tomorrow night. Excited to be back in the snow! :grinning:

Anyone heading up there this weekend too? :-)

overl4nd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, California
Member #

I'll be heading out to the same area this weekend. Girlfriend got a case of the FOMO after seeing all the fun I had with the dog. LOL. :tonguewink:

The Mormon Immigrant Trail is a few miles from a simple AirBnB we found for tomorrow night. Excited to be back in the snow! :grinning:

Prolly the next weekend which is also a long weekend. We can head further out with 2 nights available.

sakiwest

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6M

So? How did it go?

I feel like we should plan another trip this weekend. Part 2 of our beginners thing now that we know more. :). You going up again this weekend? I’m thinking about either UT or MET for a day trip. I’ve got traction boards on the way and would gladly pickup coms this week if it looks like I’m going out again.

overl4nd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, California
Member #

So? How did it go?

I feel like we should plan another trip this weekend. Part 2 of our beginners thing now that we know more. :). You going up again this weekend? I’m thinking about either UT or MET for a day trip. I’ve got traction boards on the way and would gladly pickup coms this week if it looks like I’m going out again.
Sure
Lets do it Sunday. Saturday may be rain/snow mix. Sunday will have powder offering more grip. Lets do MET this time. Its 2 hours from east bay to the trailhead.