Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Hi all,

I'm currently trying out Locus Maps as I'm not very impressed with Gaia Maps. I've heard it mentioned here, but it doesn't seem to have its own discussion thread. Any users here who can comment on the functionality of it, especially for North America?

I've got the free version currently to try it out, and so far it seems pretty good, but I did notice one fairly significant issue - it doesn't seem to have the US/Canada border actually marked on the map at all, at least not where I am. That could be a serious problem, as there are places where it could be possible to wander across without realizing it, especially if one is not already keenly aware of it.

What do you guys think of it? Worth paying for the full version? Should I stick with the free version? I welcome everyone's input.

BrianP

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, BC
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Pratt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA7BKC
I use Locus Pro and really like it. I don't use the Locus maps but download maps from the BackRoad Map Books of BC and open them in Locus. Other friends use it as well, and others use Gaia. Guess it's all what you started with I'm sure.

Frisko

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Höfingen, Leonberg, Germany
First Name
Johannes
Last Name
Droigk
Member #

Hi all,
I'm located in Europe (Germany) and using Locus Map in version 4 now. I'm happy with it. Never checked Gaia or others in detail and guess this is also region specific. Locus Map is probably more often used in Europe.

Cheers,
Frisko aka Johannes

Reactions: El-Dracho

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

What is shown on the map depends on the the map you use and there are quite a lot of different maps available. Most of them have some kind of description so you can check what map is best for your needs. And yes it's worth paying for.

Reactions: El-Dracho

AlekSI

Rank I

Contributor II

First Name
Sandi
Last Name
Lavrih
You can use public or private group location sharing features in Locus. It is useful in the area of cellular signal coverage. The convoy leader can see the dynamics of the convoy. Members of the convoy who have a track of the route on their phones will not go astray. Convoy can travel more fluidly. Also it is recommended to use offline maps and the BRouter plugin for offline route calculations.

Reactions: CR-Venturer