Any Ketogenic “Keto“ Overlanders?

• HTML tutorial

natematos

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portland, OR
Member #

I am starting to research both Keto and Paleo diets , I keep reading that Paleo diet is better because it is more flexible than the Keto diet. Has anyone tried both and do you have any recommendations for me to start ie.. cook books, books, quality websites etc..
I've done both, Keto is the one I keep going back to. I'll typically hop on it for 3 months at the start of each year to get back on track after the holidays. Because as much as I'd love to do it year round, summers and the holidays make it tough.

I've actually found Keto easier to be on because it's so strict. There aren't a ton of places where you can eat out (Though you can eat out just about anywhere if you get a little creative and enjoy a bunless cheeseburger). Because I have to plan my week's meals, I just buy what I need and don't deviate from that.

2boverlanding

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Prince George, BC, Canada
Member #

I started Keto in march and I have been looking at making a menu plan that is camping friendly. Im stuck with the diet as it has taken me from needing blood pressure pills to a normal blood pressure medication free.
So a couple of items we do on our menu is
- Lettuce wrapped Burgers. Mayo, Mustard, Sugar free ketchup, bacon, cheese, thin slice of tomato and onion wrapped up in leaf lettuce
- Bacon or pork sausage patties, and eggs (usually only carbs are for the eggs)
- I do a hot cereal using 2 tbs almond flour, 1 tbs of chia seeds, 1 tbs of hemp seeds, 1 tbs of collogan powder and 1/4 teaspoon of xlytol sweetener. I just add boiling water and instant breakfast. I usually make a large batch before hand so its quick and easy. I vary it by adding vanilla or maple concentrate for flavoring when i add the boiling water. Lately i have been skipping the sweetener. (2 grams carbs)
- suppers are usually some sort of stir fry with a meat added to it.
- we rarely stop for lunch but snack along the way so we carry pepperoni(1 carb each), and carb free cheese sticks. We will have mini cucumbers (1 carb each)
- I found a heavy cream powder on Amazon that we take with us. It works great in coffees and i have added it to the hot cereal in the mornings. Travels well and can be made into a liquid milk product with just addng water.
- I found a instant hot chocolate recipe that i make up prior to leaving. We can have hot chocolate or usually we added to our evening coffee for a mocha by the fire.
- we found a low carb wrap that I will cut up into 2 or 4 pieces and we use it as a hotdog bun. The wrap is 7 grams net carbs and the Costco all beef hot dogs are 2 grams each. Mayo and mustard are carb free.

Still figuring this out but starting to get the basics of a menu. If you have a recipe idea or a menu idea that works for you I would love to hear it.

Reactions: SilverSurferJKU

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Here are a few staples that we have been digging since we started keto.

Cauliflower Mac and Cheese - KetoConnect (adding tuna makes this a great entree)
White Cheddar and Sun Dried Tomato Avocado Stuffed Meatballs (we serve with spaghetti squash and either alfredo or low sugar marinara)
Those are few off the webs, here's some others i came up with.
Crispy chicken breading. Instead of breadcrumbs, grind up 2/3 part pork rinds and 1/3 part parmesan crisps (whisps brand, cheese is the only ingredient) Use for baked chicken strips, chicken parmesan, anytime you want crispy chicken.

Taco fritatta-
1 lb ground beef, browned and taco seasoned
1 medium avocado diced
2 medium roma tomatoes diced
1/2 bunch of cilantro chopped
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
8 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp baking powder
combine all ingredients but save half the cheese for the topping. mix together well and put in an oven safe frying pan. top with cheese. bake for 20 -25 minutes at 400 degrees and enjoy.

Deviled eggs and jalapeno poppers make great snacks. Also look into some fat bomb recipes. Most fat bombs use alternative sweeteners so you can get your sweets fix.
Here is one we like.

Not all camping friendly but all good.

Miss Roo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Frances
Last Name
Perrin
Is there Keto for Dummies guide out there somewhere? I started looking at this diet last year but damn if it isn’t complicated.
I recommend getting Keto from Maria Emmerich on Amazon and following her and her husband Craig on Facebook - insta
She’s been Keto for 20 years extremely knowledgeable

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

I've been doing Keto for about 4 years and I find that it is super easy to remain strict while camping/on the road. Good deli meats and cheeses, dill pickles, mixed nuts, summer sausage, and jerky are staples for me.

Where I get into trouble is alcohol. It's real hard to not have a few drinks when sitting around the camp fire.

Reactions: Foretexas

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I am dirty Keto! I don't count carbs, keep it all to a minimum. Fats, protein, Lots of greens, easiest 30# I ever lost without missing anything. I bone broth fast 4 days a month. When I camp with others I will add rice or pasta to their meals, papa's for breakfast.

ChambersFamily

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Plains, OR, USA
First Name
Marshall
Last Name
Chambers
Member #

OVERLANDING ON KETO?

Are any of you following a ketogenic diet? I’ve been on a keto diet for almost a year and have dialed in traveling while following this lifestyle.

If any you out there are following a keto diet, what are you packing when you travel?

My go-to’s have been:

THE LIST

Drygoods:

• Beef jerky
  • Summer Sausage
  • Nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts)
  • Coconut Oil
  • Olive Oil
  • Dried Cheese Crackers
  • Homemade Fatbombs
  • Avocado
  • Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
  • 90%+ Coco Chocolate
  • Pork Rinds
  • Coffee (Black Rifle Coffee Company …of course

Coldstore:

• Fatty Meats (beef, pork, chicken thighs)
  • Eggs
  • Bacon :)
  • Breakfast Sausage
  • Brawts
  • Cheese (sticks, blocks, all kinds)
  • Butter
  • Spinach
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • Green Beans
  • Broccoli
  • Zucchini
  • Squash
  • Cucumbers
  • Carrots
  • Shredded Cauliflower
  • Various other veggies

Last year I road tripped from New Mexico to Michigan and prepped meals for my wife, daughter, and me. We had a cooler and saved so much time by not stopping. Not to mention, we probably ate healthier too.

- Tyler
Thank you for sharing this!! I'm on keto because of food sensitivies and looking for ideas to keep it up on the road. :) - Courtney

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
I am starting to research both Keto and Paleo diets , I keep reading that Paleo diet is better because it is more flexible than the Keto diet. Has anyone tried both and do you have any recommendations for me to start ie.. cook books, books, quality websites etc..
Also take a look at Mark Sisson's website and blog. His take is similar to Paleo, which he calls Primal, but is more inclusive of supplements and modern science than some of the Paleo advocates.

Reactions: grubworm

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

As much as I love the results from being on the keto diet, I'm finding it really difficult to navigate the electrolyte requirements and trying to get my heart rate normalized. Just when I think I have it under control my resting heart rate shoots up 2 bpm, and then back down, and then back up. Being able to feel my heart beating in my chest, the heart palpitations etc. is really disconcerting.

I have discovered that I'm really sensitive to potassium supplements and No Salt is a no go so I've been trying to get potassium by eating more cooked spinach. It helps but I still have issues. On average I am taking in 5000+ mg of sodium, 1000+ mg of calcium, 400+ mg of magnesium, but always shy of 100% potassium at roughly 4000 mg a day. I am also taking in about a gallon of water a day.

Do any of you have any pointers on how to deal with this? I know cardio can help with the resting heart rate but it still seems to be all over the place now that I am fully fat adapted.

Reactions: ChambersFamily

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Do any of you have any pointers on how to deal with this? I know cardio can help with the resting heart rate but it still seems to be all over the place now that I am fully fat adapted.
Does physical activity have any impact on a day-to-day basis, meaning, does working out make this problem worse or help?

Have you read any of Dr. Phil Maffetone's MAF Method?

By using his 180 Formula you can improve your aerobic system. I don't know if this would help with your heart rate problems, but it seems to me like a more efficient cardiovascular system would only be a good thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brett L.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

Does physical activity have any impact on a day-to-day basis, meaning, does working out make this problem worse or help?

Have you read any of Dr. Phil Maffetone's MAF Method?
Thank you for your reply. To be honest with you I haven't been working out enough to determine if it would help or not. I do notice that any increased activity leads to a more noticeable heartbeat. My resting heart rate shot up about 9 bpm over the course of about 7 - 9 days. I determined this to be caused by not drinking enough water and not taking in enough sodium. I increased my water intake and sodium intake which definitely helped but I'm having trouble getting it back down to the 60's where I started out. Today I am at 75 bpm after being 72 bpm just yesterday. I worked on the truck today so I ended up missing breakfast which didn't help.

I am not familiar with the MAF method but I will certainly check it out. I appreciate you providing a link.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

As much as I love the results from being on the keto diet, I'm finding it really difficult to navigate the electrolyte requirements and trying to get my heart rate normalized. Just when I think I have it under control my resting heart rate shoots up 2 bpm, and then back down, and then back up. Being able to feel my heart beating in my chest, the heart palpitations etc. is really disconcerting.

I have discovered that I'm really sensitive to potassium supplements and No Salt is a no go so I've been trying to get potassium by eating more cooked spinach. It helps but I still have issues. On average I am taking in 5000+ mg of sodium, 1000+ mg of calcium, 400+ mg of magnesium, but always shy of 100% potassium at roughly 4000 mg a day. I am also taking in about a gallon of water a day.

Please check with your doctor first! I only take my RHR first thing in the morning before I get out of bed. There many factors in hart rates. I am sure feeling your hart beating in your chest is disconcerting.
I don’t monitor my electrolyte, I do take a multi vitamin/ multi mineral, calcium, magnesium pills and eat lots of green veg. And don’t worry about all pink salt I take. The rule on water is 1/2 your weight in water ozs. I do get my aerobic workout 6 day per week and really believe it makes a difference.

Reactions: Brett L.

Derek50

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Member #

I've been eating a Keto/Carnivore style since January. I've lost 40 pounds and cured a few other issues I was having.

My son and I are doing the TWAT next week and I just plan on cooking up burgers and ground beef when we get to camp at night. I usually only eat once or twice a day so I'll have eggs and bacon for breakfast and then a decent dinner. My son eats all. day. long....(he's 6) so I'll have plenty of snacks for him to eat as well. I might prepare a meal or two that I can warm up over the fire.

This will be my first "overland" trip eating this way. We have camped a few times this year and just premade the meals. Hopefully it works out!!

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
OVERLANDING ON KETO?

Are any of you following a ketogenic diet? I’ve been on a keto diet for almost a year and have dialed in traveling while following this lifestyle.

If any you out there are following a keto diet, what are you packing when you travel?

My go-to’s have been:

THE LIST

Drygoods:

• Beef jerky
  • Summer Sausage
  • Nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts)
  • Coconut Oil
  • Olive Oil
  • Dried Cheese Crackers
  • Homemade Fatbombs
  • Avocado
  • Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
  • 90%+ Coco Chocolate
  • Pork Rinds
  • Coffee (Black Rifle Coffee Company …of course

Coldstore:

• Fatty Meats (beef, pork, chicken thighs)
  • Eggs
  • Bacon :)
  • Breakfast Sausage
  • Brawts
  • Cheese (sticks, blocks, all kinds)
  • Butter
  • Spinach
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • Green Beans
  • Broccoli
  • Zucchini
  • Squash
  • Cucumbers
  • Carrots
  • Shredded Cauliflower
  • Various other veggies

Last year I road tripped from New Mexico to Michigan and prepped meals for my wife, daughter, and me. We had a cooler and saved so much time by not stopping. Not to mention, we probably ate healthier too.

- Tyler
My Wife and I have been Keto for almost 2 years. Due to the Ketogenic lifestyle I have lost over 100 pounds and my wife has dropped around 25. Our list is very similar to yours with the addition of Ghee, pickles, sauerkraut, various berries, Heavy cream for coffee and berries, KetoBars, Keto bread and Smart Cakes. Oh and Birch Benders Keto pancake mix. This way of eating has proven very beneficial for us in regards to weight loss and overall improved health.

Reactions: Matt Hixson

Cubagon

Rank I

Contributor III

So how do you guys fix your coffee while on the trail?

Right now I'm just mixing in coconut oil or butter, but this leaves the oil/butter floating. At home I'll blend it and I'm looking to do the same on the road. Do any of you have suggestioms for a travel blender? Possibly MCT will stir in better?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tyler
this:
and

this;

Gregol

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've been doing Keto for about 4 years and I find that it is super easy to remain strict while camping/on the road. Good deli meats and cheeses, dill pickles, mixed nuts, summer sausage, and jerky are staples for me.

Where I get into trouble is alcohol. It's real hard to not have a few drinks when sitting around the camp fire.
I only go for single malt scotch whiskies and it's fine. And of course I only take a small amount every nights ;)

• Love
Reactions: old_man

Gregol

Rank 0

Traveler I

So how do you guys fix your coffee while on the trail?

Right now I'm just mixing in coconut oil or butter, but this leaves the oil/butter floating. At home I'll blend it and I'm looking to do the same on the road. Do any of you have suggestioms for a travel blender? Possibly MCT will stir in better?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tyler
this:
and

this;
I use a milk frother from Ikea. You will not get a real emulsion but it does the trick and it's really cheap 3$ a piece. Buy 2 or 3 as backups because they are not military grade ;)

Last edited: