• HTML tutorial

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I may partake in the occasional Black bear, Elk, Duck and big pig. :0) Oddly I don't hunt deer. I plan my big Yearly Overlanding trips based around hunting seasons between Michigan, Colorado and here in Virginia. Sometimes I see if I get a Michigan Bear tag in the U.P. or get an Open tag for Elk in Colorado. Sometimes I leave with nothing but its' the trip I'm after. I don't have the time or budget to do everything every year.

Truth be told, I'm not a very good hunter because I have no patience. I'd rather huff and puff stalking or talking in a duck blind than sitting super quiet in a deer blind. My wife says it's because, It's impossible for me to stay quiet, lol.

I haven't fully embraced the Duck lifestyle yet because that's a money pit bigger than a boat and race car combined. I go out with my FIL when he goes and I'm up in Michigan or he plans a trip down here in Va.

Reactions: SeguineJ

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

I may partake in the occasional Black bear, Elk, Duck and big pig. :0) Oddly I don't hunt deer. I plan my big Yearly Overlanding trips based around hunting seasons between Michigan, Colorado and here in Virginia. Sometimes I see if I get a Michigan Bear tag in the U.P. or get an Open tag for Elk in Colorado. Sometimes I leave with nothing but its' the trip I'm after. I don't have the time or budget to do everything every year.

Truth be told, I'm not a very good hunter because I have no patience. I'd rather huff and puff stalking or talking in a duck blind than sitting super quiet in a deer blind. My wife says it's because, It's impossible for me to stay quiet, lol.

I haven't fully embraced the Duck lifestyle yet because that's a money pit bigger than a boat and race car combined. I go out with my FIL when he goes and I'm up in Michigan or he plans a trip down here in Va.

Duck hunting = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

rvajeeper

Rank 0

Traveler I

Checking in from Richmond. I hunt deer, turkey, and just about everything else. Haven't made a big trip yet seeing as I have about 2200 acres to hunt. Where did you hunt in Colorado??

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I chase deer and elk in Nevada and Oregon. Put in for antelope and bighorn sheep in Nevada as well. Certain species in certain areas I will admit to trying to hunt the biggest animal on the mountain. I will always chase the biggest bull or look for the biggest rams. Draw odds for those are slim and the trophies are out there. I like that it's me against the biggest oldest smartest animals in the area. This year if my draw results are like last years 0-15, then I will spend all of this fall chasing Himalayan snow cock. Hardest hunt on the continent as far as I am concerned. They start where the mountains goats stop in elevation.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
We bat the cycle for hunting, that's the lion's share of our protein, plus depredation. Almost all is taken on our property, but I'm currently hunting down a cougar that's been hanging too close to the livestock.

Reactions: WrightRunner

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Knowing the response I will likely get from most people who read this I will still ask. Have you ever tried eating mountain lion steaks?
Tastes a lot like pork. I have not processed a kitty for consumption, a neighbor across the canyon dispatched one last year and grilled some up (after freezing for precaution). IIRC, a high-ranking CA Fish and Game Official came up to Idaho a few years ago for a legal hunt and dined on Cougar, then lost his job due to bad PR. I'd really have to rush in these warmer temps to get a good sized cat dressed and processed without it turning gamey.

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I would eat it again. Not sure I'd trade elk for but definitely would swap deer and antelope. even in warmer temps I would have to try. Couldn't be any worse than an August game hunt in Nevada.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
The only reason I hunt is because I like the meat. But I find it very difficult to motivate myself to get up early when is is freezing outside.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Big time duck hunter here! Grew up in East Tennessee so the ducks were fairly sparse, then lived in southeast New Mexico for 4 years before I even attempted a hunt there (very little water). Believe it or not, it was the most unreal duck hunting location I've ever experienced.

I've hunted big game on a limited basis, such as whitetail, mule deer, and elk. Was lucky enough to draw an Ibex hunt (one-in-a-lifetime tag) for this fall so I'm super stoked for that one.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I have not been hunting since I was a teenager in Louisiana ... however, I just got my Hunter's Ed card this year because I desperately want to go this year and kill a hog ... I am in the midst of a mid-life crisis, it's a whole primal-get-back-to-nature kind of thing ... I want to kill a hog (and a deer, possibly), process the meat and prepare it for my friends and family. Not sure what that's about ... I haven't really ever considered killing anything throughout my entire adult life. I catch and release the fish I catch.

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I have not been hunting since I was a teenager in Louisiana ... however, I just got my Hunter's Ed card this year because I desperately want to go this year and kill a hog ... I am in the midst of a mid-life crisis, it's a whole primal-get-back-to-nature kind of thing ... I want to kill a hog (and a deer, possibly), process the meat and prepare it for my friends and family. Not sure what that's about ... I haven't really ever considered killing anything throughout my entire adult life. I catch and release the fish I catch.
The killing and processing part can be fun, hard work. My wife and I process our deer. It's not hard to figure out, books can explain it. I find having a wife who helps is rare and highly looked upon by other men. Gives her high marks. Also keeps me in line.