Any Hunters Among Us?

• HTML tutorial

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

I think the big thing with all game animals when it comes to eating them is you got to know how to cook. You cant just wing it in my opinion. Especially some more than others.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I think the big thing with all game animals when it comes to eating them is you got to know how to cook. You cant just wing it in my opinion. Especially some more than others.
Very true. If you haven't already heard of Steven Rinella you should look him up. He has a show called MeatEater and his books have some pretty great recipes and tips on preparing everything from the tongue to the heart to the backstraps and everything in between.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Very true. If you haven't already heard of Steven Rinella you should look him up. He has a show called MeatEater and his books have some pretty great recipes and tips on preparing everything from the tongue to the heart to the backstraps and everything in between.
Podcast is awesome. Listen to all of his stuff.

Reactions: finlayforprez

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

You are absolutely correct. I've had various meats cooked several different ways and it makes such a difference. I absolutely love elk, but you need to pay lots of $$$ in New England to get on a lottery or be part of a private game club to harvest one of those, where as out west lots of opportunity. I am still exploring different meats, but I am also planning to have chickens, milking goats, and turkeys. I don't care much for beef or pork, but I'll eat it.

Thanks for the hint about the books, I'll look into them.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

All these "podcasts" I hear about.... I know OB has one too, but I have never listened to them before. I need to get on the podcast thing, sounds interesting.
do yourself a favor, download pocketcasts or a similar app on your phone. Will automatically download the latest episodes of your favorite podcasts. Makes the commute to work more bearable.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

do yourself a favor, download pocketcasts or a similar app on your phone. Will automatically download the latest episodes of your favorite podcasts. Makes the commute to work more bearable.
Exactly what I do most days. MeatEater podcast is awesome, especially if you watch the show. It coordinates with the tv series alot but its so much more raw and enjoyable.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Will do - thanks so much. I have an iPhone, but the whole apps thing isn't always my friend. HAHA!

I am lucky, my commute to work is on my property - I work from home. ;-)

When you move to MA, will you be working from home as well?

Reactions: SeguineJ

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Will do - thanks so much. I have an iPhone, but the whole apps thing isn't always my friend. HAHA!

I am lucky, my commute to work is on my property - I work from home. ;-)

When you move to MA, will you be working from home as well?
I will be. Staying with the same company and working remote. The team I work with is in Australia anyway. I basically work remotely from the office anyway, haha.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Here is the coyote I got while deer hunting last November. Was sitting under a stand of live oak calling in a doe when 4 coyotes stand up in the tall grass 20 yards in front of me. Could only get one. They did a good job sneaking up on me, haha.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

While I was tuning my bow, that I haven't shot in ages, I decided to upgrade my site. I have gapping issues at longer ranges and decided to remedy that with a single pin adjustable site from HHA. Pretty dang cool site. I can't wait to start hunting with it.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

While I was tuning my bow, that I haven't shot in ages, I decided to upgrade my site. I have gapping issues at longer ranges and decided to remedy that with a single pin adjustable site from HHA. Pretty dang cool site. I can't wait to start hunting with it.
So funny, I was just doing the same thing! :-) it was my first time using the bow and did pretty well. I have to admit my arm is a little sore, I shot around 50+ arrows. Below are my first 3 shots on this target at around 18 yards. I am glad I have 6+ months of practice before deer season opens in MA.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

So funny, I was just doing the same thing! :-) it was my first time using the bow and did pretty well. I have to admit my arm is a little sore, I shot around 50+ arrows. Below are my first 3 shots on this target at around 18 yards. I am glad I have 6+ months of practice before deer season opens in MA.

Firearm/Bow maintenance time for me this month. Recleanings, overall check and rundown on parts and how everything is holding up. Normally spreads into my overall hunting gear as well, reactivating the scentlok gear and putting them in vacuum sealed bags and such.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Firearm/Bow maintenance time for me this month. Recleanings, overall check and rundown on parts and how everything is holding up. Normally spreads into my overall hunting gear as well, reactivating the scentlok gear and putting them in vacuum sealed bags and such.
Me too, though I admit I am just learning archery and bow hunting from my brother. It's not something I have done before, so it's exciting. I really want to practice and fine tune my skills to assure (hopefully) a clean, effective, and ethical shot.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

For those who care. Netflix has new episodes of MeatEater

Typed on a smallish quadrilateral of aluminosilicate glass, a task that would have been unimaginable to most people even a few short years ago. mistakes are inevitable.

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech