Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Indeed. And I have access to a cabin in Pittsburgh NH. Some great hunting up there.
Connecticut has a LOT of deer as well, but I am not doing archery there this year. They require an additional several day archery safety course in addition to the 16-hour hunting safety course. I'm not dealing with that until next year, plus plenty of places near me for my first year in MA.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Holding a Black Bear license. Put in for Elk, Deer, and Antelope. We will see what happens. Herd populations have been low the last couple years.

Reactions: SeguineJ

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Anyone have any good hunting stories? Maybe there was one that got away?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using OB Talk mobile app
Had 9 does 2 big bucks run by me and my buddy in front of us. They ran right through where we were about to sit and watch. If we didn't stop to admire another guys first light kill we would've been there just before they possibly showed up.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Two weekends ago I went with a couple friends to do a night coyote hunt. We set up under a post oak with my IcoTec (cheapo) caller about 30 yards down into a draw. I hit a jackrabbit distress a couple times and got a couple howls from pretty far off, so you howled back. 5 minutes later we hear a pack start howling from just the other side of the draw (North of us). We all lift our rifles to get set and just as I was about to hit a pup in distress call two more packs from the South and the East start howling from a little ways off. I hold for a second and then hit the pup in distress. Nothing. I hit it again. Nothing. I howl and get a response from way off north east. I was so bummed. Coyotes can be extremely territorial and the best I can tell is that first pack came in to our initial howling and got just to the other side of the draw (we could almost smell them they were that close) and when they heard the pack to the east took off to defend that border. In retrospect I should have stuck with the howl instead of switching to pup in distress. But man, my heart was racing. I haven't been that excited in a long time.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Two weekends ago I went with a couple friends to do a night coyote hunt. We set up under a post oak with my IcoTec (cheapo) caller about 30 yards down into a draw. I hit a jackrabbit distress a couple times and got a couple howls from pretty far off, so you howled back. 5 minutes later we hear a pack start howling from just the other side of the draw (North of us). We all lift our rifles to get set and just as I was about to hit a pup in distress call two more packs from the South and the East start howling from a little ways off. I hold for a second and then hit the pup in distress. Nothing. I hit it again. Nothing. I howl and get a response from way off north east. I was so bummed. Coyotes can be extremely territorial and the best I can tell is that first pack came in to our initial howling and got just to the other side of the draw (we could almost smell them they were that close) and when they heard the pack to the east took off to defend that border. In retrospect I should have stuck with the howl instead of switching to pup in distress. But man, my heart was racing. I haven't been that excited in a long time.
Never been coyote hunting yet and hoping to get some time to do it coming up.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: WrightRunner

Nathan Heatherly

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Asheville, NC
Member #

Oh yeah! I'm from Western NC in the Asheville area and I am a 3rd generation bear hunter! Love everyday of it! Of course deer and everything else that moves are in danger when I come but bear hunting is definitely by far the best hunting I have ever done! Love it so much!!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: SeguineJ

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Oh yeah! I'm from Western NC in the Asheville area and I am a 3rd generation bear hunter! Love everyday of it! Of course deer and everything else that moves are in danger when I come but bear hunting is definitely by far the best hunting I have ever done! Love it so much!!

Nice. I'd like to try someday. Can't say I'd pull the trigger in the moment. There's just something about bears that make it hard to imagine taking one. I can't put my finger on it. But I'm up for trying. I hear a good black bear that's been chomping on berries has great fat can be rendered into tasty lard.

Reactions: Nathan Heatherly

Nathan Heatherly

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Asheville, NC
Member #

Nice. I'd like to try someday. Can't say I'd pull the trigger in the moment. There's just something about bears that make it hard to imagine taking one. I can't put my finger on it. But I'm up for trying. I hear a good black bear that's been chomping on berries has great fat can be rendered into tasty lard.
For sure! People say they don't like the taste of black bear, but it is absolutely delicious!! And I can completely understand about not taking one! They are majestic creatures for a fact!

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

For sure! People say they don't like the taste of black bear, but it is absolutely delicious!! And I can completely understand about not taking one! They are majestic creatures for a fact!

I only had it once and it wasn't bad. Like Chris, I'm not sure if bear is on my list of animals to harvest, but I am open to trying.

I heard you have to cook it right and thorough, as it is prone to trichinosis.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Chris, this is my brother's speciality, he goes coyote hunting often, and it's really the only animal he harvests and doesn't eat. He's a taxidermist, so he always tans the hides for blankets. Around here, and everywhere I bet, coyote population control is a big part of capacity control in the woods. I've never been, and not sure it's my thing, but when you come to MA he can hook you up with great spots.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Chris, this is my brother's speciality, he goes coyote hunting often, and it's really the only animal he harvests and doesn't eat. He's a taxidermist, so he always tans the hides for blankets. Around here, and everywhere I bet, coyote population control is a big part of capacity control in the woods. I've never been, and not sure it's my thing, but when you come to MA he can hook you up with great spots.
I tried to harvest the pelt from my last coyote and failed miserably. Tail came off in two pieces. Would love to learn how to do it right.

Reactions: finlayforprez

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Ive had bear, very tasty. And I definitely want to try hunting them soon. I won't know how I feel about taking it until I'm watching it through my scope. I'm kind of a weird hunter. I've passed up some pretty great trophies inexplicably. Just decided to watch it instead. I'm definitely a freezer filler. Not much for trophies, but I would mount one if it was good though. except for hogs. I shoot all hogs, those filthy vermin....

Reactions: Nathan Heatherly