Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Living up in Sask Canada, the amount game to hunt is unreal. You just gotta go looking for it, and put in the hard work. Hoping to get drawn for Speed Goats this year, never had the change to hunt one before.
Here is my son and I in 2012 with the 243" n change WT i took after hunting 45ish days looking for it, i knew it was out there just would never show itself. Finally met my muzzleloader one day. Magasine cover with the two biggest WT deer taken in 2012 in Saskatchewan, my non typical and the typical.
Db
View attachment 26587 View attachment 26588
This is awesome! Wow! I have Hutterite friends up there and they always seem to get the best bucks! :)

Reactions: Bulldoug

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I answered below, and had told you via message a little while ago how I had to goto a crossbow. Unfortunately, it was a really hard decision because in MA there is no going back to compound once you have the disability stamp on your hunting license. With your compound bow, how far will you take a shot in New England woods? I can't imagine being able to go much further than ~25-30 yards at the most. I'm going to be putting up tree stands soon and practice on 3D targets. We have a few months until it begins. Do you have a date for your move?
I move on the 18th of july. I will be bow hunting many different areas and expect to take shots from 20-60 yards. I can't go much further than 60 just because of the bow's limitations. I am limited to 60lb draw weight by my dr so I have my bow set to 63 lb for hunting. Need to work back up to it though after this last surgery I had a couple years ago. I switched to rifle but since that isn't an option for a lot of areas up there I picked the bow back up.

Reactions: finlayforprez

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

I move on the 18th of july. I will be bow hunting many different areas and expect to take shots from 20-60 yards. I can't go much further than 60 just because of the bow's limitations. I am limited to 60lb draw weight by my dr so I have my bow set to 63 lb for hunting. Need to work back up to it though after this last surgery I had a couple years ago. I switched to rifle but since that isn't an option for a lot of areas up there I picked the bow back up.
Sounds great! I will not do shot gun season (too many guys into driving deer), but will do archery with the crossbow and may do muzzleloader. I kind of like primitive firearms. Best of luck on your move - it's in 10 days!!!

danthman114

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yuma, az
First Name
Dan
Last Name
H
Member #

I'm a bird hunter mostly. I would say I hunt big game as well but I can't. I just don't have the time and my luck at actually getting drawn sucks... However I have hunter bear, deer and elk...

Rover7284

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

Avid archery and rifle Hunter. Many whitetail, primarily Southwest Wisconsin until I lost access to the farm via divorce. Also fishing in Minnesota, prairie dogs in Utah, and elk in Colorado. Actually heading out in a month to GMU 12 to look for a bull. Also enjoy long range target shooting. Use a Hoyt Highlander compound, Weatherly .300 WinMag, Ruger .270 WinMag, Savage and Sig .223s. Can't figure out how to post photos on this thread from my tablet. I love the hunt and the pursuit, being out there, surviving in the backwoods where most aren't willing to go. If I get one, great. But for me it's about being out there. The adventure is my trophy.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using OB Talk mobile app

Rover7284

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

Agreed 9Mike2, the 300 WinMag is an all around great round. Ft/sec, foot pounds of impact at 1,000 yards, less drop, cost per round etc. It will knock down anything on this continent. I like the .270 as well, very fast, very flat shooting, but not quite enough punch for big game out past 400-500 yards, unless you like to track them for a while before they lie down.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and O.Dfj

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

I do mostly varmint hunting anymore. I just went out to Wyoming last month visiting family and shot a bunch of prairie dogs. Hopefully this year i can work in a couple of days to go deer hunting.
used my dads AR I built for him laying down using a backpack as a rest to shoot prairie dogs out to 400 yards.
that's all a praire dog town, It's a 4 mile hike in. My brother didn't believe me when I said we were going to hike 8 miles today lol.

Kcrkolby

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Morgan Hill, CA
Member #

How do you hunt bear. Do you use hounds to track them. My friends use plott and blue tick , good to see fellow sportsmen over the pound You have some great tradition and game over there BNT
Thank you! Where i live its actually illegal to hunt bear wifh dogs so its mostly spot and stock and follow the tracks.

Woodchuck

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Goldsby, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Cohn
Member #

Used to hunt all the time and not nearly as often as I'd like nowadays. Got real into night time hunting for hogs and coyotes. Just after getting really adept with the thermals and night vision I lost access to a truly amazing place to hunt and enjoy the outdoor due to divorce, so anyone in Texas that knows of a place that needs some hogs thinned out just let me know :-)

Reactions: 9Mike2

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

Headed up to NW Wisconsin and breaking out the bow to do some White Tail Deer hunting in a couple weeks. Still trying to coordinate rifle season. I'd like to get into more, but it's hard to find the time and land to do so.

Reactions: Westsroadshow

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

I’ve been hunting since I could walk and hold a rifle and shotgun. I was lucky enough to grow up on a farm. So I didn’t have to worry about public land. My favorite animal to hunt right now are Rocky Mountain Elk. I’ve been lucky enough to harvest a couple of bulls and a few mule deer bucks. My overall goal is to complete the North American Super Slam with a rifle and then a bow.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

wanderingbearoffroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Anna, TX
Member #

Hunter in North Texas. Mainly hunt duck and dove but get out of state for the occasional hunt as well. Really like the idea of combining both hunting and overlanding....seems like the perfect marriage

Reactions: Clint1911

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

ive never seen
Deer / elk mounted in this fasion before very interesting
It’s supposed to look like a backcountry pack out. How you would cape and quarter the animal to be able to carry it out. My dad has several traditional mounts so I wanted to try something different and they take up less space.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk