Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

Had his guy wander in behind 2 does during ML season this year. Had to sit frozen in my tree stand for about half an hour while the does came in to a scrape I was sitting on. They kept looking behind them, so I figured he was back there some where. Had to aim and fire with one of the does under my tree stand and the other about 10 yards away. Not the biggest one I've shot, but not bad for 5 hours of total hunting time this year.
23213420_10155606675781368_8461114876642817613_o.jpg

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Love to hunt. My daughters have gotten into deer hunting now. We have 2 national forests within 49 Miles so it is easy mixing some off-roading with hunting. Gun season starts up this weekend. Hope the youngest daughter gets her first deer and I get meat in the freezer.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

To answer your question, @vagabondexpeditions, no. And I have my suspicions regarding that having been left there by a hunter. Did you see the hunter leave it there or are you just assuming a hunter did it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: 64Trvlr

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

To answer your question, @vagabondexpeditions, no. And I have my suspicions regarding that having been left there by a hunter. Did you see the hunter leave it there or are you just assuming a hunter did it.

No, I didn't see it left there. I was assuming hunter since everything is so close together in addition the legs have what look like straight cuts through the joints to separate them (and they appear otherwise intact - with fur on them all). And just out of frame - close to where I was standing for the photo, was the skin:

is this hunting 'trash'?
by e j, on Flickr

Perhaps it's not a hunters kill after all and I am wrong -- what are some good signs to look for either way? ( @blackntan - feel free to elaborate as well on what would be evidence? I figured the straight looking joint cuts were the primary giveaway - if it was a hunter, I agree with the ideal of parts being left behind to feel others in nature, but just not so close to camping locations).

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Your first picture was a skeleton, the secound skin , i cannot make out but think the skull is still there. Very strange to make out , but looks to me its been skinned and butcherd may be hung up on a tree and the carcass dragged to this loction by a bear They may have just taken the best cuts and this carries all the sighns of poaches to me Any hunter worth his salt would take his game away to butcher,
Since I process my own game rather than take it to a butcher, does that mean I'm not worth my salt? [emoji6]

Reactions: 64Trvlr

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

Grew up in NW Colorado, hunted big game, upland birds and migratory geese and ducks. Don't hunt much now, mostly fishing although I will put in for a deer license this coming year. Knees have gotten bad enough both up and down mtns. are a literal pain.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I have my hunting permit though haven't gone hunting myself as I am not quite sure where to start in my area. I don't really have any close friends that hunt.
If you can, join a rod and gun club or sportsman's club. There are also some good Facebook groups designed to help newcomers. I'm on the Boston Bowhunters group. Great place for new England based hunters.

Reactions: Tinker

Kanobee

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Queen Creek, AZ
First Name
Leo
Last Name
G
Member #

I've got a bow that is new to me. Got the draw length adjusted (which means I don't have any arrows I can use anymore) and put a new sight on. The sight needs to be set up, its one of those single pin adjustable deals so I need to get it ranged. I'm pretty sure I will have to have it ranged again once I bring the draw weight back up to peak. Its at 47 now (post shoulder surgery) and I will hopefully have it up to 65 by hunting season (I doubt my shoulder will ever do more than that again). Anyone ever ranged and sighted in a single pin adjustable sight? Is it a pain or pretty simple?
Yes i'm shooting a Bowtech CPXL with a HHA single pin and the dial settings took about 30min if you range out the shots and use their setup guide. otherwise you need to know the arrow grains, speed and draw weight to do it mathematically

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
I hunt duck, goose, pheasant, deer, prairie dogs, and pigeons. I used to get enough meat in the freezer to feed the family red meat for the year and supply a few friends as well. But between kids activities, work, and loss of some private land I used to be able to hunt I don't get out as much as I'd like and it has gotten harder to bring home much meat. I've got a 5 year old daughter that loves to go hunting with me when the weather is warm enough for her to go with.

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
I hunt duck, goose, pheasant, deer, prairie dogs, and pigeons. I used to get enough meat in the freezer to feed the family red meat for the year and supply a few friends as well. But between kids activities, work, and loss of some private land I used to be able to hunt I don't get out as much as I'd like and it has gotten harder to bring home much meat. I've got a 5 year old daughter that loves to go hunting with me when the weather is warm enough for her to go with.
I'm fairly new to hunting myself, have been going with a friend since no members of my family hunt. I have a 1yr old daughter I'm hoping to teach her when I have more experience and knowledge as she gets older

@cam_toyota_tech

Reactions: Trey5150