Any Hunters Among Us?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
We have a lot of fun together hunting. But I have to take it easier than normal so that she can keep up. Also its entertaining to listen to her while she is walking through 6 foot tall reeds and cat tails. She asked me to "teach her to shoot deers with my gun" this year and was bummed when I told her I can teach her but she can't shoot one for a few more years.

I've had to learn a lot on my own or from a few other people. My dad did some pheasant hunting, but that is about it. I was lucky with the waterfowl I got to be friends with a guide and some other guys that are very good at it. That was a big help to the learning curve.

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

I've only dabbled in it, mostly white tail deer in Michigan. But I'm hoping when my truck's back on the road & ready for some long hauls I can convince my father, a die hard hunter himself, to go on some out of state hunting adventures with game he's not had the opportunity to interact with.

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I've been hunting about 3 years now in northeast Wisconsin. Didn't grow up around it like most people in the area I live now (also not from this area). 2 whitetail does, and this year my first buck, a good size 9 pointer. I mainly started hunting to learn the process so if the day ever comes I need to feed the family I know I can. After that first shot I was hooked. I've been turkey hunting, though not successfully yet.

Started with a 12 gauge with sabot slugs. Bought a .270 for this season and love it. I'd like to head out west somewhere and do some long range big game hunting. The longest shot I can get around here is about 300 yds, and the longest shot I've taken on an animal was about 150-175 yds. My 8 year old son is starting to show some interest in hunting, and WI just dropped the minimum age as long as they have taken hunter's safety. I can't wait to teach him. My wife even helped my process my buck this year, I may get her out there yet. At least if it's warm enough. Next year I get to take my older brother on his first hunting trip, and I'm really excited about that.

Hoping to try bow hunting, and some other animals this year (duck, pheasant, coyote, and anything else I can). Maybe get back to fishing regularly too, I miss that. I knew how to clean a catfish by the time I was 5.

Just another expensive hobby. Why do all the fun things have to be expensive?

Trey5150

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Dakota
Member #

I've been hunting about 3 years now in northeast Wisconsin. Didn't grow up around it like most people in the area I live now (also not from this area). 2 whitetail does, and this year my first buck, a good size 9 pointer. I mainly started hunting to learn the process so if the day ever comes I need to feed the family I know I can. After that first shot I was hooked. I've been turkey hunting, though not successfully yet.

Started with a 12 gauge with sabot slugs. Bought a .270 for this season and love it. I'd like to head out west somewhere and do some long range big game hunting. The longest shot I can get around here is about 300 yds, and the longest shot I've taken on an animal was about 150-175 yds. My 8 year old son is starting to show some interest in hunting, and WI just dropped the minimum age as long as they have taken hunter's safety. I can't wait to teach him. My wife even helped my process my buck this year, I may get her out there yet. At least if it's warm enough. Next year I get to take my older brother on his first hunting trip, and I'm really excited about that.

Hoping to try bow hunting, and some other animals this year (duck, pheasant, coyote, and anything else I can). Maybe get back to fishing regularly too, I miss that. I knew how to clean a catfish by the time I was 5.

Just another expensive hobby. Why do all the fun things have to be expensive?
If you want any advice let me know! Life long hunter. Archery and gun, big and small game! Welcome to the club.

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I appreciate that Trey! I've been very fortunate that a really good friend comes from a family of very active hunters, with plenty of land I can use too. I'm sure if we head out of WI I will be reaching out to anyone with advise for other areas.

Overland A Far

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocky Mountain House, Alberta
Member #

Anyone else here like to hunt? What and where do you hunt?

I'm currently in TX so I hunt the hill country a lot. I'm a freezer filler, never cared much about trophies, just want to feed my family with the highest quality free range, grass fed, organic meat I can. Typically hunt dove, white tail, hogs and turkey.
Hi Chris - I'm from west central Alberta and been hunting since I was 3. Fortunate here to have great Whitetail but most other species are on a draw system. Lucky on a good moose this fall. Mainly hunt with my cousins and kids - great to help them youngsters out. For us it is a family affair. Great to see like minded members who have a real appreciation for the out doors.

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

The Durangler

Rank VI

Member I

Port Alberni
First Name
David
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Service Branch
Search & Rescue (R)
20171119_111612.jpeg

I hunt on Vancouver Island. Got one deer and one Black Bear. Put a bunch of grouse in the freezer as well. Sometimes we hunt the morning, fish the afternoon and then hunt the end of the day. The family is super pleased when you come back home with a bear, 3 trout and a grouse!! Good day!!

Just check out the price of organic meat in the store...why wouldn't you hunt?

Sent from my LG-H812 using OB Talk mobile app

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Reminds me of the Wisconsin trifecta. A turkey, whitetail buck, and a bear in the same year. I have a friend who did that this year, and now I think it's a goal of mine. We can only hunt bear every 10 years, and even then it's a lottery system. I got skunked on the 3 times I went turkey hunting last year. I did get my first buck this year though, and it was a good one. Also shot him about 45 minutes into the season, which I can't complain about. I still went out a few times after that, but it's nice to take the pressure off.

The buck. And the .270 Ruger American that took it down, along with my 20ga Mossberg 500. I was hunting turkey and doe after I got the buck.IMG_5380.JPG IMG_5384.jpg
Good thing I shoot guns better than pictures...

Reactions: 64Trvlr and 9Mike2

WalkingBear

Rank V

Pathfinder II

San Antonio, TX
First Name
Alfonso
Last Name
Landeros
Member #

Anyone else here like to hunt? What and where do you hunt?

I'm currently in TX so I hunt the hill country a lot. I'm a freezer filler, never cared much about trophies, just want to feed my family with the highest quality free range, grass fed, organic meat I can. Typically hunt dove, white tail, hogs and turkey.
haven't hunted since 2003 I would love to get back to do more of it now that I live in San Antonio and start over with renewed interest specially around the Hill country in TX.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

The Durangler

Rank VI

Member I

Port Alberni
First Name
David
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Service Branch
Search & Rescue (R)
Went out for our first spring bear hunt on opening weekend last week....we saw nothing. Lol. That's why they call it hunting not grocery shopping!!!

Sent from my LG-H812 using OB Talk mobile app

S

SubeeBen

Dear & turkey in San Diego ( which is a challenge ) elk in south west Colorado in sept oct archery only ( which is another challenge )

amateurhour

Rank III

Advocate II

I hunt deer, rabbit, squirrel, and turkey.

Primarily I'm vintage blackpowder. I've got a .54 cal Flintlock and a 28 gauge blunderbuss.

Last year I made this hickory longbow that I'm hoping to get a harvest with. I'm in a traditional archery club. We stay mostly primitive, and don't really trophy hunt. We use the meat, tan the hides for quivers and clothing, use the antlers for game calls and knife scales, and the rest goes to the dogs or the bone pile.