Any Fellow Michigander?

• HTML tutorial

ElGreco

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hi guys! Another Michigander here, from Ann Arbor.
I just bought a 2007 GMC Yukon XL 2500 and want to outfit it so I can get into overlanding.
I know the rig is quite a bit larger than normally recommended, but I have kids, dogs, etc, and want to be able to take some friends with me too!
I'm trying to find a mechanic in SE MI who understands overlanding and not just ridiculous lift kits. I've been trying to get someone to install a vent breather kit for me in order to get my diff and transmission vents raised higher to avoid water ingress during water crossings, and it's been a lot harder than expected. Do you have any recommendations?

(Sorry to be posting the same question in multiple threads. I hadn't realized there was a Michigan group when I posted my general question. I'm hoping to get to KY this weekend, so I'm trying to find something quickly.)

Last edited:

JasnikP

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Hi guys! Another Michigander here, from Ann Arbor.
I just bought a 2007 GMC Yukon XL 2500 and want to outfit it so I can get into overlanding.
I know the rig is quite a bit larger than normally recommended, but I have kids, dogs, etc, and want to be able to take some friends with me too!
I'm trying to find a mechanic in SE MI who understands overlanding and not just ridiculous lift kits. I've been trying to get someone to install a vent breather kit for me in order to get my diff and transmission vents raised higher to avoid water ingress during water crossings, and it's been a lot harder than expected. Do you have any recommendations?

(Sorry to be posting the same question in multiple threads. I hadn't realized there was a Michigan group when I posted my general question. I'm hoping to get to KY this weekend, so I'm trying to find something quickly.)
I’m in Ann Arbor with a GMC Sierra rig! I trust the guys at advanced automotive - if you haven’t checked them out yet I encourage you to

Joel S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8OJK
Yes updates, kinda. We're still on track for first weekend in May. There won't be any planned route, just an idea of one. Well probably meet up in Cadillac Friday and start the figure 8. Well get through as much as we can before Sunday. View attachment 92672
Time frame for that friday? just need to see if I need to take off work

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I grew up in Ann Arbor and my family has a place in Pentwater, but we now live in Texas and have a "retirement" home in Pagosa Springs, Co. I do miss the spring and fall seasons but do not miss the Michigan winters.

Reactions: JasnikP

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Here is our proposed plan for that first weekend in May. We will be meeting at the Meijer in Cadillac between 5-6. We'll try and get to camp via non-main roads. Camp is about 40 minutes from Cadillac via the highway. Well decide either roads or no roads once everyone is at the rallying point. If you haven't yet or are interested in joining up hit the link below to sign up. There are some slots left and there is no cost.

IMG_20190422_103543_342.jpeg

Reactions: Tinker

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Had a good time shaking off/up the dust in the Subaru & getting to meet a bunch of new people. Looking forward to the next one!

Didn't take many pictures, but here are a few of my favorites. Saturday midday, exploring some trail off-shoots:

Saturday afternoon, getting an early camp setup (a rarity for me, usually in a panic setting up to dwindling sunlight)

And here the weekend's aftermath... managed to avoid pavement a while & chain together some trails on the way south. Had a blast ripping across twisty sand tracks at upwards of 65mph, & a few sketchy moments as we encountered large belly scraping mud holes (glad for the snorkel!) near Baldwin, witnessed by the new brown livery:

And thankfully we decided against just flying home via tarmac too! Because the trail routes we took had us not all that far from the area we left the group in when we got a call to help out 1 of the group with an extraction from a pretty solid high-centering in a water crossing.

Last edited:

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

I do believe Nick is entertaining the idea of getting a trip together monthly. And if I remember correctly he was thinking about the next being up in the Kalkaska area. The nearby ORV trail systems "North Missaukee" + "Kalkaska" have more than 180 miles combined! That's not including all the seasonal roads that can be even more interesting, but of course come with the challenge of blockages (wash outs, private property, etc).

Reactions: KerrClan74

icestorm

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Richmond, MI, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Thought I would say hi to the other Michiganders out there. Just joined the group this evening. I'm north of Detroit about an hour, just outside of Marysville. Currently rocking a lifted Subaru Crosstrek with some KO2s. More addon's still to come but had to start somewhere with it. Any recommended runs for those of us that aren't super tricked out in the midwest?

Reactions: CJP and Tinker

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Thought I would say hi to the other Michiganders out there. Just joined the group this evening. I'm north of Detroit about an hour, just outside of Marysville. Currently rocking a lifted Subaru Crosstrek with some KO2s. More addon's still to come but had to start somewhere with it. Any recommended runs for those of us that aren't super tricked out in the midwest?

View attachment 98011
I'd say you could probably handle most anything in Michigan unless you are talking the hardcore stuff up in the western UP. Even Then...there was a forester that kept up with the jeep pack, only burned his clutch a little from not having low range.

icestorm

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Richmond, MI, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Miller
Member #

I'd say you could probably handle most anything in Michigan unless you are talking the hardcore stuff up in the western UP. Even Then...there was a forester that kept up with the jeep pack, only burned his clutch a little from not having low range.
Most of the time I’ll be traveling with a buddy who has a pretty tricked out Jeep. We ran quite a bit of the UP last year before I got the car and had a blast. Looking forward to getting out there with my own vehicle now.

It’s maiden overland trip will be coming up for Memorial Day weekend. I’m gonna meet my buddy in Chicago and we’re either headed north into Wisconsin or down south to the Ozarks, playing but ear and checking the weather before we decide if it’s north or south yet.

Reactions: Tinker and RyanC

JoshDante

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Waterford Twp, MI, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Dante
Member #

Service Branch
USAF vet
Where can I find a list of Michigan-ish ;) overland trips for late May and all of June? Would really love to test out this Jeep on a real overland trip. Does anyone know of one? Saw mostly California stuff in the Calendar.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Where can I find a list of Michigan-ish ;) overland trips for late May and all of June? Would really love to test out this Jeep on a real overland trip. Does anyone know of one? Saw mostly California stuff in the Calendar.
We run our own events on our website (www.michiganoverland.com). Most of them are going to be weekends and not much more than that. I'm terrible at keeping up with the OB forum and posting updates and what not here. Best place is to follow the Facebook page and join the closed group. Next one we have is going to be in June but no date set in stone yet.