Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
So the last weekend in January I drove to Vancouver, WA to visit my son and his family and to buy my new Overland vehicle, a silver Subaru Outback 2.5i from Gresham Subaru in Oregon.

On Monday I got the car, went to my son’s home to load it up for the trip back to SoCal the next morning. After an 18-hour drive I arrived home tired but very happy with my new Overlander.

Tuesday after the 18 hour drive I slept in then had to put the roof rack up on top for PHASE 1 of the build.

I knew the basic build I wanted to do so plans are in motion for my vehicle. These include an ADF 2” lift, tires, CB, skid plates from Primitive Off-road, trailer hitch, and rear tire carrier. This is not going to be a massive build, I just want a capable vehicle to get into the backcountry and travel with.

Brand New.JPG Added Rack.JPG

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
PHASE 2 finally happened at the end of April when the lift kit was purchased and installed by Patrick and his brother at ADF. After a quick wheel alignment I was set to again drive home the next day. By the way after the install everything was still within factory specs for the alignment. It was a great drive and I never noticed any difference in the drive even with the 2” lift.

With lift.JPG

Last edited:

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
For PHASE 3 I installed additional electrical connections for powering and charging for cameras, pads and the like in the rear of the console. 1 additional cig lighter power outlet and 3 (2-station) USB plugs. With the ones provided with the car I now have enough charging ports for my needs.

New power outlets.JPG Power outlets.JPG

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
PHASE 4 was to install the new tires. I was debating in my mind to determine if I wanted the Yokohama AT GO15’s or BFG All-Terrain KO2’s. Well, I have loved the BFG AT’s I have had on 2 previous trucks so I decided to go with them. I went with the same size tire as stock a 225-65 / R17. Installed in mid-May this completed the vehicle so I can really start some serious off-road travel and verify the capabilities of the vehicle. I also bought a full size spare KO2 with a black steel rim, just in case, that for now resides on the roof rack.

Tires.jpg Lift-Tires 1.jpg Lift-Tires 2.jpg

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
On May 31st I decided to head out to Joshua Tree National Park to visit the Old Dale Mining District on BLM land just outside the northeast portion of the park. Heading up Pinto Basin Road from the Cottonwood Spring Ranger Station at the south entrance I started the off pavement adventure out Old Dale Road. This 23-mile dirt road starts at the same point as Black Eagle Mine Road and leads north to Highway 62. The first 11 miles across Pinto Basin is a flat and sandy. Leaving the basin, the road climbs a steep hill where you exit the park boundary into the Pinto Mountains. A number of side roads veer off toward old mines and residences.
Stopping at Mission and Sunrise Wells I explored the area of interesting mining remnants. Mission Well was drilled in 1934 to a depth of 449 feet to provide water to the local mines, mills and arrastas in the area.
Leaving Mission Well and continuing up Old Dale Road, I got to the fork of Brooklyn Mine Road and decided to see what is out the in these mountains to the east of Old Dale Road. I was amazed at the capability of the lifted Outback with the KO2’s, I passed several obstacles that were not made for a stock Subaru and it passed with flying colors. Stopping at the top of a hill I walked down to Moose Mine, Rose of Peru Mine, and Gold Rose Mine to see the buildings in the valley. Being all by myself, 95 degrees and still trying to verify the capabilities of this rig, I thought better than to push the limits too far which might cause me to walkout.
After making my way back to Old Dale Road I continued north to see if I could make it to Highway 62.
One washout made me rethink the possibility of getting stuck out here as I ground the front air dam a little. Wish I had someone with me to video this obstacle.
On the second attempt, with a better angle, the X-Mode AWD engaged and a little more momentum I made it through. Stopping at Sunset Mine I explored this area and investigated Old Dale Road leading north. Again there were some loose larger rocks that might have been managed with a spotter, but having no one and leaving my valor at home I returned back Old Dale Road to head north into the park along paved Pinto Basin Road for Highway 62 and home.
It was a great day and I am very happy with the Outback. I will feel better negotiating the rocky areas when the skid plates are installed to protect the engine, tranny and rear diff.

JT 17-5-31-1.jpg JT 17-5-31-2.jpg JT 17-5-31-11.jpg JT 17-5-31-13.jpg JT 17-5-31-19.jpg JT 17-5-31-20.jpg JT 17-5-31-25.jpg JT 17-5-31-29.jpg JT 17-5-31-30.jpg

The CB is on order through my son and I should be picking it up when I visit again in July. I will probably have to wait for a while for some of the rest of the build and save some $$$$ for the next Phases. So stay tuned.

Last edited:

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Nice build , my wife has an outback, I will show her the pix of your build, she is slowly comming around but it will have to be a clean build like yours. What size is the Rola roof rack, what is the model number?

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Nice build , my wife has an outback, I will show her the pix of your build, she is slowly comming around but it will have to be a clean build like yours. What size is the Rola roof rack, what is the model number?
Thanks I am trying to keep it simple but functional, a sleeper per say.
The rack is a Rola 59504-V without extension. The size is 39" wide by 48" long. I got some spray on bed liner from the auto parts store to protect it a little better from scratches. Put 3 coats on it and it is working pretty well. If you need additional space they do sell an 18" extension for it.
It does effect gas milage on the freeway from the drag. If this was not an overland vehicle, I would take the rack off when not in use. It might come off/on as needed when I get the hitch and spare tire carrier.
Got it here:

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Looks awesome! Love me a wagon build. I find myself so jealous of the landscape out that way. But I suppose it's a case of "the grass is greener syndrome" to some extent. We have great terrain out east as well, it's just tricky to find sometimes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

IMG_0256.JPG
Thanks I am trying to keep it simple but functional, a sleeper per say.
The rack is a Rola 59504-V without extension. The size is 39" wide by 48" long. I got some spray on bed liner from the auto parts store to protect it a little better from scratches. Put 3 coats on it and it is working pretty well. If you need additional space they do sell an 18" extension for it.
It does effect gas milage on the freeway from the drag. If this was not an overland vehicle, I would take the rack off when not in use. It might come off/on as needed when I get the hitch and spare tire carrier.
Got it here:
Thanks for the info on the rack, its the same one I have been checking out on amazon, I already got our hitch, a Curt, it has the curved tube style that tucks under the back real nice, I didnt want the big "I beam " look.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
View attachment 25654
Thanks for the info on the rack, its the same one I have been checking out on amazon, I already got our hitch, a Curt, it has the curved tube style that tucks under the back real nice, I didnt want the big "I beam " look.
Curt is what I am looking at also with the Wilco tire carrier.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Great build! Did the KO2 decrese the MPG a lot? I can't decide between the KO2 or something on a bit lighter side.
The biggest hit to gas milage on the freeway is the roof rack and tire on top. This trip to Joshua Tree was 28-30 MPG on the freeway doing 70MPH ??? and I reset the trip on the dirt portion and the computer was stating 20 MPG when I hit asphalt again. So really I think the KO's might have lost 2-3 MPG. The roof rack another 3-4 MPG as the average was 34-36 when I drove it back down from Washington when I picked her up. So as an overlander not that bad. I had heard the Yokohama tires hurt the gas milage a little bit also. But I'm quite pleased with the traction and road manners of the KO2's. And both tires are rated for extreme snow.

Last edited:
Reactions: escape_the_paradigm

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

The biggest hit to gas milage on the freeway is the roof rack and tire on top. This trip to Joshua Tree was 28-30 MPG on the freeway doing 70MPH ??? and I reset the trip on the dirt portion and the computer was stating 20 MPG when I hit asphalt again. So really I think the KO's might have lost 2-3 MPG. The roof rack another 3-4 MPG as the average was 34-36 when I drove it back down from Washington when I picked her up. So as an overlander not that bad. I had heard the Yokohama tires hurt the gas milage a little bit also. But I'm quite pleased with the traction and road manners of the KO2's. And both tires are rated for extreme snow.
I love having ~400 mile range off road. "Wait, you need to refuel again?"

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app