Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Forgot to add the photo of the fuse box and buss I installed for the CB and extra power sockets, it is located under the drivers seat so only needed the main wire from the battery to here to power everything inside. Still have 2 empty spots for future needs inside the cab. An additional power required for lights ... on the exterior will be handled by a new fuse box under the hood.
Fuse Box.JPG

Reactions: Rocky

Delux2769

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakewood, CO, USA
Member #

@Delux2769 I suspect this is waiting for a response from you, I would like to know how the ride is also.
My bad... the springs are great if you are loaded down. I always have a drawer system, full set of tools, 30x9.5x15 soft M/T's, and a 90lb dog with me, so it rides smooth. We have a stock forester on just King Raised springs and stock tires and the ride is terrible.

If they're on a stock tire DD, I wouldn't recommend them due to the harsh ride.

Off-road, they're great, plenty of travel. Super visual yellow springs. I almost always park where I'm flexing and someone always comes up and talks to me about them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Trek63 and Rocky

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I am not going for lifted springs just OEM height and stiffer (30-35%) to counterbalance the weight of the full size spare and tire carrier on the rear. I can deal with harsh springs as I have had many pickups in the past so understand the harsher empty ride.
I am running 225-65 R17 BFG All Terrain KO's for tires, so a lot stiffer tire also.
Thanks for the info.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
As you know Terry, I run front/rear lift springs with higher springrates and it rides very close to when it was all stock. The key is weight just like @Delux2769 pointed out. I carry additional weight all the time so that certainly helps. When I'm loaded up for the weekend it rides like a Cadillac haha.

Side note. If you haven't already consider deleting the rear sway bar. Even stock the difference *on the road* was negligible and after the higher spring rate springs you'll forget about it entirely.

Last edited:

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
As you know Terry, I run front/rear lift springs with higher springrates and it rides very close to when it was all stock. The key is weight just like @Delux2769 pointed out. I carry additional weight all the time so that certainly helps. When I'm loaded up for the weekend it rides like a Cadillac haha.

Side note. If you haven't already consider deleting the rear sway bar. Even stock the difference *on the road* was negligible and after the higher spring rate springs you'll forget about it entirely.
Yes that is the way my pickups ran, harsh till I had the 2 motorcycles, 20 gallons of gas, cooler and camping gear in the back.

Nice to know about the sway bar, mine is still attached, will have to try it out. Thanks

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Yes that is the way my pickups ran, harsh till I had the 2 motorcycles, 20 gallons of gas, cooler and camping gear in the back.

Nice to know about the sway bar, mine is still attached, will have to try it out. Thanks
This is where I suffer the most. When I first got my OB I hated how it felt on the road before I switched them out for WRX ones...

Now that I've been building up for more off-road excursions, I really need to figure out some sort of quick disconnect.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Delux2769

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakewood, CO, USA
Member #

This is where I suffer the most. When I first got my OB I hated how it felt on the road before I switched them out for WRX ones...

Now that I've been building up for more off-road excursions, I really need to figure out some sort of quick disconnect.

I've been swaybarless for the past year. Both with stock suspension, and with the Kings and 30"s

Sent using telepathically controlled dolphin fingers.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
It's super easy to try it either way with the rear sway bar Terry. You don't even need to lift the car to remove/install it.

Now that I've been building up for more off-road excursions, I really need to figure out some sort of quick disconnect
I've been swaybarless for the past year. Both with stock suspension, and with the Kings and 30"s

Sent using telepathically controlled dolphin fingers.
I won't remove my front sway bar because I still drive aggressively (for an off road 2 ton long roof) on the road so I finally decided to make custom quick disconnect end links. That will solve a couple issues. I'll be able to make them longer to compensate for the lift and this whole tire flyer needs to stop haha..

IMG_1721.JPG

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
It's super easy to try it either way with the rear sway bar Terry. You don't even need to lift the car to remove/install it.

I won't remove my front sway bar because I still drive aggressively (for an off road 2 ton long roof) on the road so I finally decided to make custom quick disconnect end links. That will solve a couple issues. I'll be able to make them longer to compensate for the lift and this whole tire flyer needs to stop haha..

View attachment 30967
Can not wait to see the disconnect

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

PHASE 4 was to install the new tires. I was debating in my mind to determine if I wanted the Yokohama AT GO15’s or BFG All-Terrain KO2’s. Well, I have loved the BFG AT’s I have had on 2 previous trucks so I decided to go with them. I went with the same size tire as stock a 225-65 / R17. Installed in mid-May this completed the vehicle so I can really start some serious off-road travel and verify the capabilities of the vehicle. I also bought a full size spare KO2 with a black steel rim, just in case, that for now resides on the roof rack.

View attachment 25459 View attachment 25462 View attachment 25463
Looks rad! Stoked to get going on mine!!

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Just as a heads up for everyone with a torklift ecohitch and wants to buy the Hitchgate; the receiver is not deep enough to accommodate the anti-wobble clamp.

Yes, mine sticks part way out of the Wilco receiver but just had it on some trails in the Tetons and it was solid. Did not see much shaking at all. Also you will need stiffer springs, as the weight and leverage drops the rear quite a bit. Like mine but still on the fence about it. WIth a RTT you will need it.
unnamed.jpg

Reactions: Rocky and ASNOBODY

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Yes, mine sticks part way out of the Wilco receiver but just had it on some trails in the Tetons and it was solid. Did not see much shaking at all. Also you will need stiffer springs, as the weight and leverage drops the rear quite a bit. Like mine but still on the fence about it. WIth a RTT you will need it.
View attachment 31713
Finally took mine out on the trail. The convenience factor is really high. Unfortunately now I realize how much my rear camera has been a crutch [emoji28].

I'll most definitely go your route on getting stiffer springs, though I usually pull off all the overlanding accoutrements unless I have a trip lined up. I can't imagine how all the other people building up their rigs using a more expensive platform deals with the $$$!