Alcan Hwy - Prudhoe Bay - Inuvik - July 2017

• HTML tutorial

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Very cool, will be watching for your report. My Wife and I will be making a run to Inuvik and on to Tuk in July 0f 2018. I can't wait. I've lived in BC for 99% of my life and have yet to travel further north than Prince George.

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
@Narbob , @Reconnoiter , & @Reichling

Do you have recommended minimum equipment list for this trek?
I ask because the AlCan is on my bucket list and I'm researching rides now.

I invited a buddy from work who has done the trek from Colorado to Fairbanks via the AlCan in an unmoded Ford Freestar Minivan towing a 1960's popup camper about 10 years ago. (He previously rode it in a 1951 Ford back in March of 1956. at that time it was almost all gravel and before the full AlCan was completely opened to the public.)

He is planning a trip up the Dalton Highway from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay sometime this summer so maybe he'll join and share some more details if he has the time.

Boort
The feedback I'm getting, from people who have done the Dalton, is that you should carry two spare tires & enough fuel to go 400 miles. Also, the truckers can make your life hell if you don't respect their use of the road, so it's recommended you have a CB so you can hear what they're up to.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Reconnoiter

My understanding is that he plans to fly to Fairbanks rent a car and drive the Dalton. I'll pass on your advice. I think he'll play it safe, but I doubt I'd want to take a rental up to the top of the world.

Boort

YUKON007

Rank 0

Traveler I

Eagle River, Alaska
Member #

Great meeting you and the crew at Overland Expo West! We're the couple in Eagle River that promised a warm shower and an extra bedroom if you guys find your way to the Anchorage/Eagle River area!! We'll be following along the thread and would love to meet up or possibly join for a portion of the trip depending on timing, we're camping in the South Central area almost every weekend. There's so many amazing places in AK that you can hardly go wrong with any path you take, but if you guys want some suggestions let us know! Good luck, and safe travels!

Reactions: Kelly

ilatak

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Calgary, AB
Member #

New member here, I am heading out from Calgary, AB to Innuvik July 8th would be interesting if we can cross path

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
POSTPONED - POSTPONED - POSTPONED
Sorry guys. Bob, Matt, Ryan, and I, have all had things come up that makes a July 1st departure not possible. Not sure about everyone else, but I could still go the end of July. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Reactions: Zargon and Narbob

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I sure hope you guys get to go I'm looking forward to watching the trip on line.

Reactions: Narbob and Kelly