First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
POSTPONED - POSTPONED - POSTPONED
Sorry guys. Bob, Matt, Ryan, and I, have all had things come up that makes a July 1st departure not possible. Not sure about everyone else, but I could still go the end of July. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Expedition to Prudhoe Bay leaving Sacramento on Saturday, July 1st, 2017. The round trip is 8,000 miles. We're taking 5 weeks. Anyone who's interested in joining in for all, or part, of the trip, let us know.

The plan is to get to Prudhoe Bay as quickly as possible, and then take our time exploring on the return. If time is an issue, you could still go with us to Prudhoe Bay, and head straight back (I've done the round trip in 3 weeks).

If you live anywhere near this route, we'd love suggestions for things to see, places to go, or just grab a coffee and say "Hello" :-)

I will post updates on who's going, route changes, and logistics, in the first entry (see below) of this thread.

AKTrip.jpg

NOTES:
Here are the Canadian travel documentation requirements:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-who.asp
Here are the Canadian rules on firearms:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm
Here are the Canadian requirements for traveling with pets:
https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/bringing-your-pet-to-canada

LOGISTICS:
There will be a Launch Party (everyone is invited) at my house (in Sacramento) on Friday, June 30th. You're welcome to spend the night. I have 3 extra bedrooms, or you can pitch a tent in the living room ;-)

If you're coming up from SoCal, you can caravan with @Narbob.

@Reichling will be coming over from the Bay Area.

ROUTE:
Sacramento to Dawson Creek (beginning of Alcan Highway).
Dawson Creek to Prudhoe Bay, AK.
Prudhoe Bay, through Chicken, AK to Inuvik, NWT.
(after that, we're open to suggestions)

WHO'S GOING:
@Narbob
@Reconnoiter
@Reichling
@hallry

Last edited:

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
To bad the last section of the highway from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk isn't officially opened until November, would be cool to do that stretch if you are all the way up there.
That would be cool. You just want to go to Tuktoyaktuk, because it almost has Toyota in the name ;-)

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Narbob , @Reconnoiter , & @Reichling

Do you have recommended minimum equipment list for this trek?
I ask because the AlCan is on my bucket list and I'm researching rides now.

I invited a buddy from work who has done the trek from Colorado to Fairbanks via the AlCan in an unmoded Ford Freestar Minivan towing a 1960's popup camper about 10 years ago. (He previously rode it in a 1951 Ford back in March of 1956. at that time it was almost all gravel and before the full AlCan was completely opened to the public.)

He is planning a trip up the Dalton Highway from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay sometime this summer so maybe he'll join and share some more details if he has the time.

Boort

Reactions: Zargon and Kelly

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
@Narbob , @Reconnoiter , & @Reichling

Do you have recommended minimum equipment list for this trek?
I ask because the AlCan is on my bucket list and I'm researching rides now.

I invited a buddy from work who has done the trek from Colorado to Fairbanks via the AlCan in an unmoded Ford Freestar Minivan towing a 1960's popup camper about 10 years ago. (He previously rode it in a 1951 Ford back in March of 1956. at that time it was almost all gravel and before the full AlCan was completely opened to the public.)

He is planning a trip up the Dalton Highway from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay sometime this summer so maybe he'll join and share some more details if he has the time.

Boort
Anything with 2 or more wheels, a credit card, a AAA membership, and you're good to go!!! ;-)

Alcan is paved but constantly under repair in the summers. I went up the Dempster on a motorcycle. It's not bad at all. Google "Street View'd" the Dalton, so how hard can it be :-)

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 1.35.39 PM.png

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Reconnoiter

Good to know! I wonder if Google had to fill the back seat of that Neon/Focus with spare tires, or cases of fix a flat. ;)

Boort

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
@Reconnoiter Wow! Your expedition sounds like a lot of fun. It is going to be an amazing adventure. I was just wondering if there will also be a need to apply for a carnet for each vehicle and gear for the Canadian portion of the trip?
Carnet!!! Thank you!!! LOL We were sitting around the camp fire in Death Valley last weekend, talking about the trip, and I COULD NOT remember what you call the Customs paperwork some countries require :-) To my knowledge, it's not required for this trip. If anyone knows better, please let us know. @Narbob @Reichling

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Expedition to Prudhoe Bay leaving Sacramento on Saturday, July 1st, 2017. The round trip is 8,000 miles. We're taking 5 weeks. Anyone who's interested in joining in for all, or part, of the trip, let us know.

The plan is to get to Prudhoe Bay as quickly as possible, and then take our time exploring on the return. If time is an issue, you could still go with us to Prudhoe Bay, and head straight back (I've done the round trip in 3 weeks).

If you live anywhere near this route, we'd love suggestions for things to see, places to go, or just grab a coffee and say "Hello" :-)

I will post updates on who's going, route changes, and logistics, in the first entry (see below) of this thread.

View attachment 22275

NOTES:

LOGISTICS:
There will be a Launch Party (everyone is invited) at my house (in Sacramento) on Friday, June 30th. You're welcome to spend the night. I have 3 extra bedrooms, or you can pitch a tent in the living room ;-)

ROUTE:

WHO'S GOING:
@Narbob
@Reconnoiter
@Reichling
Looks like the A team! I sure wish I could spare 5 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

I wish to join, but I don't have 5 weeks vacation time. Prudhoe bay is on my list of area to visit in the future.

Do you know what date the team will be in Dawson Creek? Also, the route seem to skip the Banff and Jasper area. Icefield Parkway is a beautiful area and it's a bit detour from the route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kelly and Zargon

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

View attachment 22275

NOTES:

LOGISTICS:

ROUTE:

WHO'S GOING:
@Narbob
@Reconnoiter
@Reichling
This looks great! I have a trip planned up to Prudhoe Bay this summer as well, leaving on July 5th, so we will be right on your tail. I would love to meet up at some point if it works out that way!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Kelly

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

I didn't mention. I will be base camping around Banff & Jasper area in July. If anyone taking a detour over Icefield Parkway, let's see if we can meet up. I do want to plan to drive up to Dawson creek area but will need to work out the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kelly and Zargon

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
This looks great! I have a trip planned up to Prudhoe Bay this summer as well, leaving on July 5th, so we will be right on your tail. I would love to meet up at some point if it works out that way!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app
Awesome! Sounds great!

Reactions: Zargon

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Very Cool, I'm a year behind as I have this trip planned for the Spring/Summer of 2018.

Have a great time !!

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Very Cool, I'm a year behind as I have this trip planned for the Spring/Summer of 2018.

Have a great time !!
I'd like to see four or five big trips (Prudhoe Bay - Continental Divide Trail - Trans America Trail - etc,) planned every summer, so members can take their pick each year :-)

JusticeZ33

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Your trip plan is really close to mine. I have a two week window end of June to early July when I plan to make a race to Prudhoe Bay and Hyder, AK. We will probably cross paths as you are heading in and I am heading out.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Mine is planned for August 2018 here is my route. Going up through Banff and Jasper then back down to the west in Canada and along the coast in USA. Can not wait to hear how this comes out. I am interested in Carnet also, as I believe USA doesn't need them in Canada, Mexico or Central and South America. Next is to see about insurance, like what is required in Mexico and Baja. Have a great trip.

Attachments