Alabama, TN, GA

• HTML tutorial

PhryingHigh

Rank 0

Contributor I

Summerville, Georgia
Member #

I just joined the site. I live in North Georgia and work over in Gadsden, AL. I'm familiar with a lot of the national forests and forest service roads around here. I'd love to get a meet up together.

Reactions: JMY24

Logan_Gibson

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Alabama
Member #

I just joined the site. I live in North Georgia and work over in Gadsden, AL. I'm familiar with a lot of the national forests and forest service roads around here. I'd love to get a meet up together.
There is an Alabama Overland Meetup next Thursday in Bham.
They usually ride TNF and some other local places often.
Me and a group of friends are planning to go ride part of the Georgia Traverse and Tray Mountain towards the end of February.

PhryingHigh

Rank 0

Contributor I

Summerville, Georgia
Member #

Me and a group of friends are planning to go ride part of the Georgia Traverse and Tray Mountain towards the end of February.
Okay awesome. I don't know if I will be able to make the meet next week due to work. That sounds like a pretty cool trip. I live in Summerville, GA right along the trail. I'd love to do something similar. I've camped all over this area.

Spearce

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Birmingham AL
Member #

Where does this meet take place in Bham and what time? I may can make it.

B

Blink

I'm from Bham and drive over to Talladega national forest almost monthly. We just ride fire roads, some are kept up nicely but others are pretty washed out. Your more than welcome to join us anytime. Google skyway motorway 600-1 and 600-2.

Reactions: fishtaco_13

Trailspin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

This group had given some great routes. I'm based in Nashville but grew up in Fort Payne (some great routes in/around that area for sure). There's a great trail called Dirt Devil local to Columbia TN (half way between Nash/Huntsville) thats got some fun creek crossings and rough roads to explore. you can PM me and i can help you with the route if interested. lots of good ideas above...i'm looking up some myself!

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

What's up everyone, I am from Birmingham. I am a member of Alabama Overland and just started reading this forum and just became member 5808 and a benefactor. The site has already given me great info. Just wanted to say hi. Planning a few trips the rest of the year and plan on a group of us coming from Birmingham to Overland Expo East in Sept/Oct. On the way back we plan on coming back via the Georgia Traverse route.

Last edited:

fishtaco_13

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey y'all. Headed to Bankhead on a spontaneous trip. Any trails or recommendations? I am also part of Alabama overland and FL Panhandle off-road Toyotas.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TheDistanceBetween

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Scottsboro, Alabama
Member #

Hey guys, I'm a new member here. New to overlanding as well but experienced camper and anything backcountry. Living in Northeast Alabama, born and raised here but I've spend a lot of time out west and even lived in Utah for a little while. Putting a motor in my (new to me) Land Cruiser in the next week or two, soon as that's finished I'm ready to get established in the OLB community! Would be great to go on some member rides in the area

'94 FZJ80 LAND CRUISER
BADGE #5330
never stop exploring

Reactions: Trailspin

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Hello all, I'm in the Marietta Ga. area. I know the fires last year effected the Cohutta area and some of that could still be effected. Check before you go. Otherwise, great area.

Back in the 1970's there was an awesome trail from Valley Head Alabama to Trenton Ga. that ran along the base of Lookout Mountain. Not sure it is still there but sometime this summer or fall, I plan on making the trip to see if it is still there and/or how much. I'm not very hopeful.

We also use to offroad in the Trenton/Rising Fawn area at a place called Johnson Crook that is now part of a larger land trust area. Pigeon Mountain outside Lafayette Ga. might offer some possibilities along with Johns Mountain and then Cooper Creek in central N. Georgia. Wife and I have our eyes on Johns Mountain and Cooper Creek for some winter camping. Make sure both are after Christmas/New Years as both are hunting areas.

Beasley Knob in Georgia is good BUT call Forest Service before you go as they can close the trails in Beasley. If it is raining, Beasley is closed and for every inch of rainfall, Beasley is closed for 1 day after the rain stops. Example: 3 inches of rainfall and Beasley is closed 3 days minimum.

Skyline over in Alabama had some good off road stuff as we went there to do some caving but I'm speaking from about 3 decades ago. Went to Russell Cave Memorial Day weekend and the amount of development in the area since I was last there in the late 80's was surprising. North Georgia is the same way.

One other area worth keeping in mind is the TAT or TransAmerica Trail that runs from Andrews NC to the Pacific coast in Oregon but the trail runs through NC, Tn and then Mississippi onward.

Hope to meet some of you in the future but until then,

Happy Trails to you!

Keith #5288