Alabama, TN, GA

• HTML tutorial

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Cohutta update: "Wander Offroad" has posted a YouTube video earlier this evening entitled "Cohutta WMA-June 2017". 5 minutes long so take it for what it's worth.

TheDistanceBetween

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Scottsboro, Alabama
Member #

So I have recently found a route called the Georgia Traverse. It runs from the South Carolina boarder to the North Alabama border, all across north georgia with the occasional dip into Tennessee.

I have the .gpx file I will attach to this thread that can be viewed with Gaia, but if you google Georgia Traverse you can find files to view the route in Google Earth on Georgia Overland

It's 390 miles total with 260 or so off pavement, and from what I understand most can be done in 2wd with the exception between Helen and Dillard. I've heard it gets pretty rough there, especially in the Tray Mountain stretch.

I would really like to put a trip together this August and time it to view the solar eclipse on the 21st right at the top of the middle loop where it dips up into Tennessee in the Cherrokee National Forest. If there is any support in this let me know and maybe we can get something together

never stop exploring

Attachments

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

So I have recently found a route called the Georgia Traverse. It runs from the South Carolina boarder to the North Alabama border, all across north georgia with the occasional dip into Tennessee.

I have the .gpx file I will attach to this thread that can be viewed with Gaia, but if you google Georgia Traverse you can find files to view the route in Google Earth on Georgia Overland

It's 390 miles total with 260 or so off pavement, and from what I understand most can be done in 2wd with the exception between Helen and Dillard. I've heard it gets pretty rough there, especially in the Tray Mountain stretch.

I would really like to put a trip together this August and time it to view the solar eclipse on the 21st right at the top of the middle loop where it dips up into Tennessee in the Cherrokee National Forest. If there is any support in this let me know and maybe we can get something together

never stop exploring
There are a couple of us that are going to Overland Expo East in Sept from Alabama. When we come back we are going to take the Traverse back to Alabama.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Also going to Expo but because of work requirements, only going to go up for the day. We're doing a burn and turn trip on Saturday.

As for the eclipse, that day is my wife's 59th so we both are taking the day off and headed up to SE Tenn to chase the darkness into NE Georgia.

TRDl

Rank 0

Traveler I

...never stop exploring
I'd be interested in the weekend portion of the trip (assuming there would be some before Monday the 21st)

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Sunday Ride In Coopers Creek WMA.

Decided to get up Sunday morning (yesterday) for a quick trip to Coopers Creek WMA to check it out. Coming from Dahlonega, entered the area via Ga, Hwy 60 onto Cooper Creek Rd. going north. After a mile or 2, the pavement turns to dirty and the name is Mulkey Gap Rd. There are 2 campgrounds along the way, both close to one another. The first is Mulkey Campground, looks to be around 10 sites or so. There is a vaulted toilet and a single water source near the toilet but that is it. Each campsite has a leveled gravel area and a table. Coopers Creek Campground is a bit larger but didn't see any amenities at all. Did see some outstanding creek side sites that look inviting. Made a side trip down Forest Service Road 236 which ends on hard surface at Cavendar Gap Rd. We turned around going back via 236 to continue on Mulkey Rd. I wanted to run Duncan Ridge to Wolfpen Gap but out short day trip had a time limit as we had to be back home around 4ish so Duncan Ridge is for another day. We followed Mulkey Gap all the way through to the north side where it enters Blue Ridge Hwy. Right goes to downtown Blairsville and left to US 76 a few miles east of Blue Ridge.

Very few people were there using the campsites but in fall, this area because a major deer and bear hunting site so you might avoid until after the New Year. A check of Ga. DNR website will give a hunting schedule and yes we did see some deer along the way. One very big doe who we thought was going to stand in the road as we slowly passed her by but at the last minute, up the slope she went. As we are in the dog days in Atlanta, the temps and humidity in Coopers Creek were markedly down from what it is at home. Felt a good 10 degrees cooler and LESS humidity. I work in heat to the point I hate summer and avoid being out in it. Cold is my time of year. But Coopers Creek may well make me rethink summer.

If raining or wet, Mulkey Gap and FS 236 will require 4 Wheel drive and in places might be a real challenge but in dry, a smart 2 wheel driver should have no problem. I did use 4 lo in one spot coming down mountain on Mulkey Gap on the North side of WMA only to gear down the truck and not to be so hard on the brakes. This area would be great for camping and as a kind of base camp for other 4 wheeling in the area. In Coopers Creek in the Flatlands and then Beasley Knob, Tray Mountain and Bell Mountain are in the area too.

Ga. Hwy 60 from Dahlonega to Coopers Creek is tight and VERY curvy. Georgia's version of Tail of the Dragon if you are familiar with that run. If you don't want any of that, enter Coopers Creek from the North via Blue Ridge Highway. We're planning some winter camping in Coopers Creek and hoping for a couple of weekend snow storms to go play in around that area. Love 4 wheeling in the snow.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

For any Georgia Overlanders who enjoy hitting the State WMA areas, we are fast approaching hunting season when the DNR limits vehicle access in the WMA areas. Many of my own favorite areas are highly limited beginning Sept. 9th and not concluding until Jan. 1, 2018. If like me and you enjoy some of these areas, below is a link to the 2017' WMA Hunting Schedule per each WMA. Check before you go would be my advice.

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/specific-wma-pfa-state-park-hunting-regulations/

Reactions: 4runnerrudy

Trailspin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

We should create one for this group going to expo east? Any takers?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

With the wife and daughter out shopping for wedding dress today, yeah my Tundra plans are pinched on into next year, I had a few hours to kill so popped up I-75 ENE of Cartersville Georgia to check out the 14k plus acre Pine Log WMA. Only the south access point at the DNR station on Stamp Creek Road was open. Service road not hard but 2 wheels might be discouraged or limited. If wet, 4x4 for sure. Sadly the main north/south service road (Pine Log Gap Rd.) through the WMA was gated about halfway through so I back tracked with a couple of side trails explored. Since I was alone I didn't get too deep but I'd like to go back after deer season closes first of January for camping and exploring.

Ran across several hunters today who were scouting and setting up tree stands as bow season starts in about 3 weeks. Limited intel as their interests were hunting and not camping and wheeling.

After coming back out, I circled around checking at other access points but either gated or roads no longer exist. One road out of White Georgia is shown on Google maps but at the location itself, no road now exists and is grown up. There was one possible access point on Oak Street out of White Georgia that I didn't check out but plan to go back and do so. Found a couple of nice camping spots off Pine Log Gap for some winter camping should I want to do a quick overnighter this winter.

Land is own by a private Corp. interest who leases the land to the DNR so not sure if that is why the area is so limited. I'm on vacation next week and one of my to-do lists is a visit to the DNR about some of the WMA's in North Georgia and the USFS in about some of the National Forest areas. Map of area linked below.

https://gadnrwrd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=dc1d22bc5ce4415a83f4367b243795d0&extent=-84.756,34.236,-84.615,34.335

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

An official Atlanta Meetup Rally Point notice is now posted in the Overland Bound Meet Up sub forum.
The first Atlanta Meet up was a success and now being discussed is a 2nd Meet up. Some folks in upstate SC also want to meet up so this one will be in NE Georgia to split the travel distance and put everyone dead center of several options for some play time. We are inviting ideas and suggestions so if interested, go to the OB Meet Up forum under the thread "Atlanta Overland Bound Meet Up-9/23/2017" and jump in. Ignore the thread date as we are using that thread for the moment to plan the next meet up. As we formalize the plans, a new meet up with announcement will be created and posted.

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Sounds awesome, would love to get out and meet some of you guys and learn some of these areas in Georgia.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Sounds awesome, would love to get out and meet some of you guys and learn some of these areas in Georgia.
On Nov. 18th in Cleveland Ga. you can indeed have that chance. Go to the Overland Bound Meetups forum and view the thread entitled, "North Georgia/Upstate SC Meet up 11/18/2017" and give some thought to coming on out. The plan is to socialize for an hour or so that morning and then head out to do a little riding. There will likely be rigs from mild to wild so the opportunity for a ride that suits you will be possible. And who knows, we may play for the day and then all or most all meet back up for dinner somewhere in Helen for example and eat some grub and swap lies.

erica stafford

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

louisiana
First Name
Erica
Last Name
Stafford
Member #

Anyway you could give me some gps points as well for good places. And if you know any good spot in east tennessee we are going to be axploring and adventuring in our jeeps and camping.
Hey, TOP.

A few friends and I love to ride and camp and kayak and ATV ride. There are alot of places to ride for a novice. Fort Payne has some nice trails. Paint Rock Valley. Walls of Jericho. Dry Creek north of Florence. You can check out some of the places we go to on our YouTube channel "Tennessee Valley Offroaders".

I have only been riding offroad for about 2 years now. I love to go back and see that first hill I climbed in Tennessee. I thought my friend was crazy for leading me there at that time...now it's a breeze. Best way I can describe it is balance and pick a path that looks balanced.

This Saturday we are going to Dry Creek again to ride the trails and grill some burgers and veggies.

I can get you some detailed directions to these places...let me googlemap and write this stuff down for you and your girl.

-Barry Maynard